AR15 for home defense - Page 2

AR15 for home defense

This is a discussion on AR15 for home defense within the Home (And Away From Home) Defense Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Without arguing all the points of this ,is a good read and should be at least looked at by those new to AR's It is ...

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree42Likes

Thread: AR15 for home defense

Without arguing all the points of this ,is a good read and should be at least looked at by those new to AR's It is spot on, pretty much to the point and gives you information you should have. One of the major mistakes new AR owners make is not understanding what he has to say. In fact many new soldiers need to lean it after they do they shoot very well.
    Zero Distance for a Home-Defense AR-15 | Shooting Illustrated

I would use it if I had a mob of Zombies straggling up my driveway but I prefer my mossy..

VIP Member
    NOVA...200 square miles surrounded by reality
    I think an AR is a very good option especially for the wifey...... Most people don't realize that shotguns don't pattern out until its gone way past door to door distance. Standard buckshot is IIRC 33-35 caliber? Pellets will penetrate similar to a FMJ. With these factors to consider at door to door distance your basically shooting a rifle at those distances with a potential to miss just like a .223. Also, your over penatration is still a very real factor if you miss. I'm not sure if most game loads #2-#9 will reliable and historically produce penatration depths to reach vital organs. Therefore a shotgun is basically a heavy recoiling rifle slower to shoot and with less than a third of the ammunition capacity as a AR. My wife probably couldn't control one well. Now an AR, she can put against her chin and shoot the gun. It has very low recoil, yes its load, but all she has to do is look at the dot on the EOTECH, or just look through the EOTECH window if she doesn't know how to turn it on, and if she wants press the light switch to see what she is shooting at. PLUS she has 30 chances to win! It may take more than one shot, but hey shes not trained to stay in the room and shoot the bottle neck. She doesn't need to worry if it takes 2 or three to put him down, shes not worried about suppressing any others or helping out a buddy with extra ammo.
    “Are you a thermometer or a thermostat, do you reflect or become what is happening in the room or do you change the atmosphere, reset the temperature when you come into the room”?--Chuck Swindoll

Its not about guns...Its about Freedom!

With a little training I think it would be about the perfect long gun for defense. Easy to shoot, light. I would pick one over a pump shotgun any day. If I had to pick one gun for the whole family to use, it would be a medium frame revolver, but after that, an ar15. The thing that bugs me most about the awb is that it really discriminates against a lot of small women where an ar15 would be perfect but a shotgun would be too heavy/hot to handle. Frankly, a lot of grown men can't really handle a shotgun well either if we were honest about it.

The lady that just defended herself and two kids from an intruder used a 38 special (nothing wrong with that) but if she had an ar15 in that closet it would have been even better. They aren't useless and only made for war, they make a wonderful little defensive rifle for just about anyone given a little training.

The main point of the post was the proper use of the weapon if you wanted to use it and sighting targets at close range.
    We could go back and forth over what is the best weapon for any thing and the second we all agreed on one, another would come a long and say this is better because.
    What ever you use you need to know how to use it and many get the AR wrong.
    I spent a bot of time instructing the M16,M4 M60, 240 ,249 ect on ranges. I found that article one very good on the use of a AR15 16 inch barrel.
    As for what to use for the job that is up to you alone. We can make a case for or against any weapon.

VIP Member
    NOVA...200 square miles surrounded by reality
    Smitty I'm a little confused?I thought the main point of the post was this?

Quote Originally Posted by KoriBustard View Post
    Would love to hear commentary from others on how appropriate you think an AR is for this purpose.
    Supraman762 and Echo_Four like this.
    “Are you a thermometer or a thermostat, do you reflect or become what is happening in the room or do you change the atmosphere, reset the temperature when you come into the room”?--Chuck Swindoll

Its not about guns...Its about Freedom!

The AR is an excellent weapon for home defense IF YOU ARE TRAINED IN ITS USE. That is true of any weapon, handgun, shotgun or rifle. I am not as comfortable with an AR as I am with a pistol, therefore that is what I have. That said, IF I have the time to choose, I would pick an AR in a heartbeat over a handgun or a shotgun over a handgun. Just because I'm more comfortable with a handgun doesn't mean that I don't know how to use a shotgun or AR.
    Supraman762 and wsquared like this.

it's cool to trick out a rifle with sites and lights in all that. but the thing I don't care for with mounted lights and sites is this. 1) Mounted lights have a problem of collecting far too many bullets and what's behind a light is your head if I'm not mistaken. 2) Mounted Sites, some are good the tactical ones are nice for close quarters, but they also collect light and can possibly hurt your eye if an intruder were to have a flashlight. I haven't tried such out to see if a flashlight would cause irratation to me. But hey if you want to have all those bells and whistles and the price tag to match I'm not going to hold you back. I'm comfortable holding my flashlight out of the way while holding my pistol in my other hand in any such posistion whether at the hip, at chest, or stright out. I do injoy the (Extreme short) barreled shotgun a fine tool of distruction whether you're using #00 or all the way up to 5-6 or higher shot for that matter. I can't justify myself spending the price of a AR rifle when I can get myself 2-3 guns and extended mags and still have such power like the AR or any long rifle.

My 'M4' is my primary home defense weapon. I fired hundreds of thousands of rounds through an M4A1 before retiring and have seen what the round will do first hand when it hits, just about anything. I have never seen ANYTHING that will penetrate as many walls, windows, etc. as a 9mm FMJ (of those in common use). My rifle is set up the same as my military rifle was, except for the lack of a full auto setting. So, I'm comfortable with it of course.

Aside from that, it is still a practical choice for anyone who takes the time to train with it. The collapsible stock allows it to tuck in close, the 30 round mag gives you plenty of firepower and it gives you the option of a barrel strike if you find yourself in very close quarters and shooting may not be your first choice. A barrel strike with a handgun (also called a muzzle stamp) doesn't have much weight behind it and will push the slide out of battery.

Someone referred to the sights, lights, etc. as bells and whistles... Those things all have a purpose. I swore by iron sights for a long time and resisted the dot sight fad. I was wrong. A dot sight or EOtech in trained hands gives you unparalelled speed and accuracy at close ranges. A powerful weapon light will force your target to avert his eyes, and at most household ranges is all the aiming you'll need. Yes if you have lasers and a 4x ACOG with a red dot mounted on top of it and other fobbit gear you may be getting a little deep but the light, red dot and vertical fore end are very practical components for a CQB or home defense carbine. All in one convenient package I can grab out of the closet when needed.

The overpenetration concern; I would expect that too if I didn't know better. I'm not saying a 5.56/.223 won't clear your target and keep going, but if you stick with a 55 grain FMJ, they tend to tumble when they hit something solid, or a person. I would bet serious $$$ on a 9mm round penetrating much more materiel surface than one of these rounds. I've been totally amazed a few times at how much crap a 9mm will rip through and keep going.

All that said, I would not even consider dealing with all the BS and prices to buy an AR right now. We also have a 12 gauge shotgun and if I'm not home that is my wife's primary home defense weapon, and it would be mine if we didn't have an AR. It also has a weapon light. I won't get into the whole difference between lights but a weapon light is a weapon light. You're pointing a loaded gun at everything it illuminates.
    atctimmy likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by nmbr5ml View Post
    My 'M4' is my primary home defense weapon. I fired hundreds of thousands of rounds through an M4A1 before retiring and have seen what the round will do first hand when it hits, just about anything. I have never seen ANYTHING that will penetrate as many walls, windows, etc. as a 9mm FMJ (of those in common use). My rifle is set up the same as my military rifle was, except for the lack of a full auto setting. So, I'm comfortable with it of course.

Aside from that, it is still a practical choice for anyone who takes the time to train with it. The collapsible stock allows it to tuck in close, the 30 round mag gives you plenty of firepower and it gives you the option of a barrel strike if you find yourself in very close quarters and shooting may not be your first choice. A barrel strike with a handgun (also called a muzzle stamp) doesn't have much weight behind it and will push the slide out of battery.

Someone referred to the sights, lights, etc. as bells and whistles... Those things all have a purpose. I swore by iron sights for a long time and resisted the dot sight fad. I was wrong. A dot sight or EOtech in trained hands gives you unparalelled speed and accuracy at close ranges. A powerful weapon light will force your target to avert his eyes, and at most household ranges is all the aiming you'll need. Yes if you have lasers and a 4x ACOG with a red dot mounted on top of it and other fobbit gear you may be getting a little deep but the light, red dot and vertical fore end are very practical components for a CQB or home defense carbine. All in one convenient package I can grab out of the closet when needed.

The overpenetration concern; I would expect that too if I didn't know better. I'm not saying a 5.56/.223 won't clear your target and keep going, but if you stick with a 55 grain FMJ, they tend to tumble when they hit something solid, or a person. I would bet serious $$$ on a 9mm round penetrating much more materiel surface than one of these rounds. I've been totally amazed a few times at how much crap a 9mm will rip through and keep going.

All that said, I would not even consider dealing with all the BS and prices to buy an AR right now. We also have a 12 gauge shotgun and if I'm not home that is my wife's primary home defense weapon, and it would be mine if we didn't have an AR. It also has a weapon light. I won't get into the whole difference between lights but a weapon light is a weapon light. You're pointing a loaded gun at everything it illuminates.
    This is terrible info. You are recommending that people solve the over penetration issues of a high powered rifle by using FMJ ammo! I hope you don't have any neighbors because you are likely to sling lead into their homes if you ever need to defend your home. Generally speaking, a high powered rifle is not ideal for self defense, but they can be a disaster when combined with FMJ ammo.

No, I related my experience with the 55 gr. FMJ out of a 14.5-16 in. AR barrel. You quoted my whole post, why not try reading the whole post?

Let me add, so it's clear: I was specifically talking about a particular round. What I said does NOT apply to the 62 gr. green tip 5.56 round that is standard issue in the military and widely available in the civilian market. Those rounds are specifically designed to penetrate soft cover and are over stabilized. It also doesn't apply to a 30-06 or 22-250. These would absolutely overpenetrate in a home defense scenario.

Now, would a 55 gr. JHP work as well? Maybe, and to be honest that's what my AR is loaded with but I've never seen anyone shot with those. I have seen many people shot with the 55 gr FMJ and that particular round does not tend to overpenetrate. It tends to tumble, and expend it's energy or fragment.
    Last edited by nmbr5ml; January 8th, 2013 at 11:37 AM.
    atctimmy likes this.

CJM
    My go to HD gun will always be a long gun, preferably an AR. My AR is no harder to access than my pistol and there is no way I'm handicapping myself in a gun fight in my house by bringing a pistol.
    "Thank you for the advice Mr. Vice President, but I'll be keeping my AR15 for defending my home and family."

CJM
    Quote Originally Posted by justintimeagain View Post
    it's cool to trick out a rifle with sites and lights in all that. but the thing I don't care for with mounted lights and sites is this. 1) Mounted lights have a problem of collecting far too many bullets and what's behind a light is your head if I'm not mistaken. 2) Mounted Sites, some are good the tactical ones are nice for close quarters, but they also collect light and can possibly hurt your eye if an intruder were to have a flashlight. I haven't tried such out to see if a flashlight would cause irratation to me. But hey if you want to have all those bells and whistles and the price tag to match I'm not going to hold you back. I'm comfortable holding my flashlight out of the way while holding my pistol in my other hand in any such posistion whether at the hip, at chest, or stright out. I do injoy the (Extreme short) barreled shotgun a fine tool of distruction whether you're using #00 or all the way up to 5-6 or higher shot for that matter. I can't justify myself spending the price of a AR rifle when I can get myself 2-3 guns and extended mags and still have such power like the AR or any long rifle.
    So much fail in this post I don't even know where to begin other than to say it sounds like since you can't afford an AR you will just try to make those who do own one and use one for HD look foolish. Good luck with your pistol and hand held flashlight.
    atctimmy likes this.
    "Thank you for the advice Mr. Vice President, but I'll be keeping my AR15 for defending my home and family."

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Scout_Sniper View Post
    This is terrible info. You are recommending that people solve the over penetration issues of a high powered rifle by using FMJ ammo! I hope you don't have any neighbors because you are likely to sling lead into their homes if you ever need to defend your home. Generally speaking, a high powered rifle is not ideal for self defense, but they can be a disaster when combined with FMJ ammo.
    1) It is a proven fact, backed up by many, many tests that the 55 grain FMJ bullets tend to yaw and fragment when they hit something. This drastically reduces the chance of over penetration. The OTM rounds have a hollow cavity in the front of the bullet that collapses on impact and increases yaw and fragmentation even more. These rounds, though heavier, leave devastating wound channels but don't over penetrate when they hit things like drywall and 2X4s.

2) You are wrong again. A 5.56 is not a "high powered rifle". "High powered rifles" are full size battle rifles chambered for 7.62X51, 30-06, 7.62X54R or similar. AR15s by definition are chambered for an intermediate sized round. A round designed for less recoil and less power. They were specifically designed to bridge the gap between a pistol caliber submachinegun and a full sized battle rifle, AKA "high powered rifle" as you put it.

Sometimes, if you don't know the subject matter, it's best to just be quiet. Otherwise you will spread misinformation.
    Last edited by atctimmy; January 8th, 2013 at 09:55 PM.
    pgrass101, CJM and 1911_Kimber like this.
    I haven’t heard any of the journalists who volunteered to be waterboarded asking to have their fingernails wrenched out with pliers, or electrodes attached to their genitals.

Senior Moderator
    My go to HD is a M1 carbine but my reason for choosing it over a shotgun is the same as for choosing any carbine over a shotgun.

Higher capacity, lower recoil and higher rate of aimed fire. Plus it's low recoil make it readily usable by most of my household
    CJM likes this.
    A real man loves his wife, and places his family as the most important thing in life. Nothing has brought me more peace and content in life than simply being a good husband and father.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Sponsored Links