My defensive weapons for home/shtf etc

This is a discussion on My defensive weapons for home/shtf etc within the Home (And Away From Home) Defense Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Id like opinions on if there are gaps in my weapon choices and how much ammo I should realalistcaly stock. I can afford or shoot ...

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
Like Tree23Likes

Thread: My defensive weapons for home/shtf etc

Id like opinions on if there are gaps in my weapon choices and how much ammo I should realalistcaly stock. I can afford or shoot 10K rounds. Let me know if you feels I should double up guns on a caliber or add guns or other cailbers etc.

Long range
    FN FNAR 20" Light barrel 3-9x50 scope, x1 20rnd mag (another mag on backorder)

Med Range
    SKS W/tapco stock and x2 tapco 20rnd mags

Short-Med
    FNH PS90 aimpoint comp m2 x3 50rnd mags (backordered)

Short
    Mossberg Maverick 88 28" smooth bore 12g
    Glock 20 10mm 3x 15rnd mags
    Kahr PM9 9mm 2x 6rnd 1x 7rnd
    Nagant M1895 7 shot 7.62x38R/nagant

There is also a flare gun, bowie knife, sog dagger, etc
    Mossberg Maverick 88, Saiga 12, FN FNAR, SKS, SKS Paratrooper, AK-74, Marlin 60, Mosin Nagant 91/30, Browning A bolt II, Kahr PM9, Hi Point C9, Glock 20 (29 chop), Walther P22, Tauras PT92AF, Colt LE6920, Marlin 60SN, Mak-90

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    Looks like you are covered,
    The glock 20 is all you need for the short with a couple nice back ups,
    I don't think you would need the SKS because the FNAR could handle both

Only thing I see is a "sniper type" rifle some sort of bolt action large cal for that 1000+ yard shot.

The FNAR with a higher power scope could reach 1000 since its a sub 1MOA gun but would loose quite a bit of energy

The SKS has iron sights is why i feel the need for it

Hopefully I win the 300 WSM from cabelas tommorow but not likely
    Mossberg Maverick 88, Saiga 12, FN FNAR, SKS, SKS Paratrooper, AK-74, Marlin 60, Mosin Nagant 91/30, Browning A bolt II, Kahr PM9, Hi Point C9, Glock 20 (29 chop), Walther P22, Tauras PT92AF, Colt LE6920, Marlin 60SN, Mak-90

For a SHTF scenario, you need to define it. Staying put? Moving out? Fighting of hordes of zombies? Define this, then figure out how each weapon fits into your scenario.

If you are moving, you have way too many guns. I think you have too many (for your scenario). Why 9mm & 10mm? Just different ammo to track. I agree, the SKS is redundant, as is the Nagant. I would bring it down to the FNAR, two pistols (same model), the shotgun, and maybe something with the same ammo as the FNAR, with a red dot. This takes you down to only three types of ammo, a backup pistol (share spare parts), and the same coverage.

Distinguished Member Array lchamp's Avatar
    It looks like you have it covered. If you have to bug out, what are you going to carry with you? I have several hundred pounds of ammo for my little collection...and 35 pounds on the UPS truck from Palmetto armory.

You probably don't need to bulk up on ammo for that 1895 Nagant.

BTW, did you ever try loading your SKS from strippers before doing the magazine conversion? The AK mags hold a lot of rounds but they seem awful clumsy to change out.
    40Bob likes this.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

SKS still works with stripper clips or changeing mags and its not to bad either way.

I guess for stay in scenario mainly

I not bulking up on nagant ammo since it lacks real stopping power.

9mm is my carry gun i cant EDC a glock 20 without killing my back, currently the 20 i have for hunting protection

These are the guns i own i didnt really by them for this purpose Im just checking to see if there is weak areas.

If it was bug out my wife etc could help carry, hopefully no EMP cause are only carb veichle is a 69 beatle and I dont want the zombies etc to laugh

Currently have 7 stripper clips
    1 HP
    4 brass case FMJ
    2 norinco steel core

VIP Member
    I know it's just the Infantry in me, but... More mags. LOTS more mags. :)

And I don't see a good .22LR carbine/short rifle on there. IMO, that is very high on the list.
    A man fires a rifle for many years, and he goes to war. And afterward he turns the rifle in at the armory, and he believes he's finished with the rifle. But no matter what else he might do with his hands - love a woman, build a house, change his son's diaper - his hands remember the rifle.

I might get another mag for the sks, glock, and PS90. 3 is plenty for PM9 and Nagant maybe I can get a 7.62 speed strip?
    FNAR mags are $47-60 so i have 1 on order its ok with me if i have use it as a bolt gun since thats what I have it in place oc anyways. The shotgun has the 5 shot holder on the stock.

For an infantry firefight the AR or AK would be better for quicker reloads. If i can reenlist and have more guarenteed enployedment I will probaly add an AK and G19.

I have thought about a 10/22 or walther p22

I was gona get a 17 HMR but i feel the PS90 feels my needs better.

If i get to keep my job ill probaly a 22 but PS90 is similar in ammo capacity and recoil but with more power and a much higher cost per round

22 rifle... Cheap ammo that doesn't weigh much,,, plenty of dead people with 22 holes in them. I have a .22LR ruger as my BUG that I trust as much as my kahr. Ruger makes a good rifle with high capacity too...

Well I think Ill have a buyer for the nagant, so I can get Marlin 60, ive read its a little more accurate out of the box compare to a 10/22 also its cheap and you can't drop the mag or worry about having it stick out to get more than 10rnds. If it take more than the 14-15 rnds the marlin olds ill probaly shoot it with a 9 or 10mm or a bigger rifle/shogun if on me.

Ammo I have about

450 in 9mm (305 are Hp of which 253 are HST 147 +P)

500 in 7.62x39

175 in 308 (102 superperformance SST) (getting more when in stock)

100 in 10mm (getting more wehn in stock)

350 in 12 gauge (150 bird) (150 buck) (rest slugs or other)
    need heavier field loads for turkey etc

Distinguished Member Array ErnieNWillis's Avatar
    May I add my bug out weapon assortment?

AR15 with (15) 30 round mags
    Glock 23 with 6 13 round mags
    Mossberg 88

I have dump pouches on my molle vest for spare ammo.

Of coarse all my bulk ammo would have to be stashed and left behind.

22 Rifle. I have a Ruger 10/22 with 4 X Scope, a lot of extra mags, and bricks and bricks and bricks...........
    Richard

NRA Life Member

"But if they don't exist, how can a man see them?"

"You may think I'm pompous, but actually I'm pedantic... let me explain the difference."

"Carry the battle to them. Don't let them bring it to you. Put them on the defensive and don't ever apologize for anything."

Distinguished Member Array kapnketel's Avatar
    You are far better armed than I am for sure, but I second the thoughts on a 22LR. I have a Henry lever action 22, a good all purpose firearm.
    I'd rather be lucky than good any day

There's nothing that will change someone's moral outlook quicker than cash in large sums.

Majority rule only works if you're also considering individual rights. Because you can't have five wolves and one sheep voting on what to have for supper.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Links