what do you guys think about this self defense shooting here in Pittsburgh??

This is a discussion on what do you guys think about this self defense shooting here in Pittsburgh?? within the Home (And Away From Home) Defense Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Man charged in fatal shooting outside Ellwood City bar | TribLIVE seems like legitimate self defense to me. even if the shooter started the fight ...

Like Tree8Likes
  • 3 Post By HardBall
  • 1 Post By PEF
  • 1 Post By Hopyard
  • 2 Post By Badey
  • 1 Post By mr.stuart

Thread: what do you guys think about this self defense shooting here in Pittsburgh??

Man charged in fatal shooting outside Ellwood City bar | TribLIVE

seems like legitimate self defense to me. even if the shooter started the fight in the bar it was broken up. and then the guy came over and tried to start it back up again. what do you think??

(if this article has already been posted, plz delete)

It sounds like the shooter (Frey) had ample time to leave the area, but his choice to sit and ready his gun rather then leave sounds like he was looking to up the anti so to speak.

Hopyard, msgt/ret and CARRY365 like this.
    My EDC G27 gen. 4
    Favorite range gun G23 gen. 3

NRA Life Member

VIP Member
    I cannot tell from the facts. Was the guy that was shot so drunk that his "hitting" amounted to ineffectual slaps? Did the Frey, the shooter, re-engage (e.g., call the victim over) when the vic left the bar? Was there disparity of force? Too many unknowns.

What I do know is that two individuals were engaging in monumentally stupid and immature acts, and one of them ended up dead. That doesn't mean the survivor should go to jail, but it does color the lens through which the investigators view the facts.
    Hopyard likes this.

Don't mid me as I am new to this, but from everything that I have read if you start a fight you are sol in front of the law as you have instigated the issue

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

VIP Member
    Too drunk to drive away, not sober enough to keep his head.
    PEF likes this.
    If the Union is once severed, the line of separation will grow wider and wider, and the controversies which are now debated and settled in the halls of legislation will then be tried in fields of battle and determined by the sword.
    Andrew Jackson

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Hopyard View Post
    Too drunk to drive away, not sober enough to keep his head.
    I think you hit the nail on that head on that one. Common sense (I know not so common anymore) he should have gotten a taxi and just gone home.
    When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
    "Don't forget, incoming fire has the right of way."

Well, last I heard he was still in jail, so my guess is the police have reason to believe the shooting was not justified... To me, it falls under the "3 S" rule... Don't go to stupid places, and do stupid things, with stupid people...
    mr.stuart and ANGLICO like this.
    Though defensive violence will always be a sad necessity in the eyes of men of principle, it would be still more unfortunate if wrongdoers should dominate just men -St. Augustine

Distinguished Member Array dangerranger's Avatar
    The article doesn't say who started the fight. I think holding the shooter is what most would have done tho. DR

Distinguished Member Array mr.stuart's Avatar
    My thought is do not involve a gun with a bar. You get older you understand groups of people and booze in the same place leads to trouble.
    1911srule likes this.
    Pain is the best teacher,but nobody wants to go to his class.

When the past smothers the present, there is only desperation. When the future absorbs the present, life stands still. In either case a decision must be made because you only live now and you are only what you are now.

Quote Originally Posted by mr.stuart View Post
    My thought is do not involve a gun with a bar. You get older you understand groups of people and booze in the same place leads to trouble.
    yeah that's where he may be in trouble. alcohol + guns = bad idea. but, maybe he was sober? maybe he was a DD?

Links