Are Home Invasions on the Rise?

This is a discussion on Are Home Invasions on the Rise? within the Home (And Away From Home) Defense Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; While statistics tell us crime is down, it just seems that there are a rash of violent home invasions in the news involving brazen break-ins, ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree5Likes

Thread: Are Home Invasions on the Rise?

Distinguished Member Array kapnketel's Avatar

While statistics tell us crime is down, it just seems that there are a rash of violent home invasions in the news involving brazen break-ins, shootings and thefts. I realize this is unscientific, it just seems to be constantly in the news. Is it just me being hypersensitive? Thoughts?
    I'd rather be lucky than good any day

There's nothing that will change someone's moral outlook quicker than cash in large sums.

Majority rule only works if you're also considering individual rights. Because you can't have five wolves and one sheep voting on what to have for supper.

Hard to say, unless there is a huge increase. As with many crimes, it's entirely likely a good percentage of them aren't even reported, as in police-phobic neighborhoods/regions and in situations where criminals' places were "invaded."

There certainly seem to be far more of them being reported, these days. Might well be that as the felons get more knowledgeable and brazen, they're attempting such things more frequently. Who's to say? All I've got access to is the basic stats reported, same as most folks, so it's hard for me to dispute them.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

I think we're going to see an uptick in crime levels for this year... At the FBI UCR level, anyway...

As to home invasions, something I watch nationally thru google news...it does seem that there are more reported... And, some states, over the last year, have made "home invasion" a distinct crime on it's own... as opposed to burglary and/or robbery.

It also seems to me... that there are more "home invasions" away from the "hood." Bad folks going more and more into the "good" neighborhoods... A little less "targeted" home invasions.... drug-on-drug, money-on-drug type stuff...

Targeted as in having been "cased" first, that seems to be rising....

Older folks, known to have more prescription drugs, some pain killers... seem to be targeted more and more.
    Rats!
    It could be worse!
    I suppose

My neighbor is a local cop, and he said that home invasions are increasing, and not just with drug homes.
    One student in our school was a driver for a home invasion group...just a plain ole' young girl...I couldn't believe it.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Have a group working here in NJ that have been coined...The James Bond Gang....have made national news for there home invasion / robberies throughout the east......very sophisticated.....even have rotating license plates on their escape vehicles.

Ya just don't know anymore........Trouble Doesn't Make An Appointment.

Seems to me, home invasions get a LOT more "media attention" when the perps don't escape, uh...unscathed. Just a break-in, violent assault and/or theft won't make the news. But let the home owner defend his/her life and property with a (gulp!) GUN and watch the media trucks & ambulance chasers fill the street. Then the entire event is heavily slanted toward making the victim seem like some sort of violent, loner sociopath. Funny, you seldom hear details regarding any police record on the...deceased.
    Old Sarge and PatAz like this.
    There are only TWO kinds of people in this world; those who describe the world as filled with two kinds of people...and those who don't.

This is what led NC to become a castle doctrine state a couple of years ago, and led me to join the CC handgun ranks. Well, not really, I already had a shotgun under the bed but now I have a Glock on the nightstand or coffee table when watching TV and can carry it when I go out. I'd hate to live in a gun-hater state.

VIP Member
    I say "Yes", home invasions are on the rise.

Here is why I believe there is an increase:

Unemployment is high. When unemployment goes up, so does the crime rate...more break-ins and burglaries. Because unemployment is so high, there are more people who are at home instead of at work. This increases the number of minutes during any 24 hour period that a home is likely to be occupied. This increases the chances of a criminal choosing a home which happens to be occupied at the time the break-in occurs.
    Regards,
    1MoreGoodGuy
    NRA Life Member
    GOA Life Member

Behave Like Someone Who is Determined to be FREE!

It seems like we're more inundated with media coverage of it, but in Maine there's barely a week that goes by without one or two pharmacy robberies for painkillers. That is part of what pushed me to concealed carrying to begin with and with a down economy, I don't expect any improvement anytime soon.

I think your instincts are correct. The problem is the term " Home Invasion" is a new term. Most are categorized as Burglaries, which is a Property crime. That is a category that is increasing and expected to continue to do so.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

IMO..............a daytime burglery is one thing but a Home Invasion.... knowing the residence is inhabited at the time, is a way serious situation where these BG's are prepaired to do you and yours serious physical harm or death......let the cards fall where they may.
    Caertaker likes this.

VIP Member
    Hiding inside a bottle of Jim Beam Black.
    I don't know if they're on the rise around here as I haven't been counting. I do know there are a lot of them.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

First ask who's statistics? In Milwaukee WI to bring down the crime rate they just stopped taking reports. They also would take up to two days to respond to a home invasion if no one was dead. They then required you to come in a file the report. So Reports are down are home invasion down?
    No they are not but the statistics say they are.
    RichB70 likes this.

Distinguished Member Array ericb327's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by kapnketel View Post
    While statistics tell us crime is down, it just seems that there are a rash of violent home invasions in the news involving brazen break-ins, shootings and thefts. I realize this is unscientific, it just seems to be constantly in the news. Is it just me being hypersensitive? Thoughts?
    I think our area is seeing a lot more burglaries and home invasions due to the heroin epidemic. The junkies are getting desperate. Heroin has gotten very cheap and people are getting hooked at an alarming rate.
    For to win one hundred victories in one hundred battles is not the acme of skill. To subdue the enemy without fighting is the acme of skill. (Sun Tzu) The Art of War

https://www.facebook.com/ninja312

My food and product review blog
    http://trualitybarandgrille.wordpress.com/

People moving weight need to be executed. I'm so tired of costly penalties that don't solve the problem. I guess I need to get used to it because I doubt it will be changing anytime soon.
    "I believe there are more instances of the abridgment of the freedom of the people by gradual and silent encroachments of those in power, than by violent and sudden usurpations” – James Madison 1788

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Sponsored Links