OC vs brandishing at your door - Page 2

OC vs brandishing at your door

This is a discussion on OC vs brandishing at your door within the Home (And Away From Home) Defense Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Originally Posted by RT Resting your hand on your gun while talking to them is probably a bad idea that could land you in a ...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree8Likes

Thread: OC vs brandishing at your door

Quote Originally Posted by RT View Post
    Resting your hand on your gun while talking to them is probably a bad idea that could land you in a heap of trouble depending on whether or not the salesman perceived it as a threat.
    Realize, too, that there are two people in such a situation, each of whom has every right to identify such threats as imminent and real, and to take reasonable action based on that. Ask yourself if you're prepared for someone, say, to see your hand moving to your gun as you "going for your gun." It could easily be taken that way, if the situation was rapidly getting tense due to the visitor not getting it, to you getting steamed about him still being there pressing his case, etc.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

RT
    Quote Originally Posted by ccw9mm View Post
    Realize, too, that there are two people in such a situation, each of whom has every right to identify such threats as imminent and real, and to take reasonable action based on that. Ask yourself if you're prepared for someone, say, to see your hand moving to your gun as you "going for your gun." It could easily be taken that way, if the situation was rapidly getting tense due to the visitor not getting it, to you getting steamed about him still being there pressing his case, etc.
    It looks like we're on the same page here.

Quote Originally Posted by 1MoreGoodGuy View Post
    Why don't you just hang a small sign next to the doorbell that reads "No Solicitors".
    My bright silver & black "NO SOLICITORS" signs might as well be invisible to some of these jerkweeds.
    NRA Life / Endowment UT, FL, IL

Yes, First off, I suggest researching the laws of your state, (Minnesota ?) on brandishing. I would think open carry in your home , your private dwelling, would be legal. Perhaps 'blade' your body so your holstered weapon is visable to the person @ your door. Cross your arms over your chest, away from your weapon. I think the person @ your door would probably exit and go on to the next hand out.

Years ago, I lived in Seattle, Washington, for a while. I answered the door once with the TV remote in my hand. The limp toasts at the door fell to the ground , waving their hands and screaming "he has a gun" ... I was never bothered again. I felt guilty and almost gave them $$.

Just saying.

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    It varies from state to state, but brandishing involves a "threatening" action. It's difficult to prove brandishing with a holstered firearm. In FL there is no "brandishing" law persay, but it would have to include a threatening "use," which is defined as having the firearm "in hand." Holstered is not in hand.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

Distinguished Member Array lchamp's Avatar
    Last week, I opened the door for the Mailperson because I had to sign for a registered letter. She saw the gun in my IWB holster and asked about it. Then we talked about her carry gun (when she's not on duty), no tension.

Thanks for all the replies. I will look into Minnesota's laws more. Time to research a holster for my PPQ too.

Welome to the board QuasarZ. Do you have your concealed carry permit? I hope you are in the habit of carrying at home.

A couple thoughts...

Here in Michigan the law on brandishing has been written pretty clearly and backed up with AG opinions. So, as long as it stays in the holster you're pretty safe. I agree with others; if your hand touches the gun, that kind of changes things. Interestingly, there has also recently been a big case concerning open carry of a rifle in Birmingham which established that if it's just being carried, on a sling for example, that's not brandishing either.

Also, you might want to consider if you want people to know you have firearms in the house. The salesman might be an evildoer "interviewing" potential home invasion victims (I've personally seen this happen on more than one occasion). Does knowing you have a gun on you decrease the chance that he'll try it when you're home? Probably. Does it increase the chance he'll watch the house and try to enter when you're not home, hoping to find some guns? Maybe. Who knows, really, and there will be lots of thoughts on this issue from other forum members, but it's something to consider as you mull all this over.

Best wishes,

Gav

Oops. Forgot the obligatory "But check the laws of your state!" caveat.

Cheers.

Quote Originally Posted by QuasarZ View Post
    Thanks for the replies. By resting a hand on the gun I did not mean using that as a way to leave. Like the post above, like a habit of putting hand on hip, in pocket etc. not as a scare tactic.
    Realizing you are new to this (at least that's what you implied), as others have pointed out, placing your hand on your gun (when you do not intend to use it) sends an incredible message to those who see this gesture. Innocent or not, it is a habit you must learn to break if you are going to accept the responsibility of carrying a weapon. In the worst case scenario, it will get you killed by someone who perceives this as a threat of deployment of deadly force.

May I humbly suggest that you seek out a NRA approved course on handgun safety, handing and carry. This will go a long way towards answering this and other questions you may have about firearms. You owe it to yourself and those around you. Best of luck.
    GunsAndViolince and ccw9mm like this.
    "Better to be judged by 12 than carried by 6"

Flight Surgeon, USAF
    Law Enforcement Tactical Surgeon

NRA Patron Member

OC vs brandishing at your door

You can have a gun on your own property but you can't use it in a "threatening manner"

Quote Originally Posted by QuasarZ View Post
    Sorry if this has been answered, a search for open carry and brandishing turned up a lot of results.

Lets say you have a salesman come to your door and you are open carrying, how does that differ from brandishing? What if you rest your hand on it while talking? (Telling to leave)

Please be gentle, I am new to all of this.
    Thanks
    Not an issue. I never answer the door unless I can see the person through the peephole and know them. Anyone else, I just take a look and make sure they leave.

Quote Originally Posted by ep1953 View Post
    Welome to the board QuasarZ. Do you have your concealed carry permit? I hope you are in the habit of carrying at home.
    No I have not taken a course yet. I found where I want to do it but my wife and I can't line up schedules to do it together until January. My father in law is a Leo and I have been taking basic lessons from him right now. I first got into this as a hobby for range time etc but after reading everything on here it has changed the way I think and we will be getting our carry permit as stated above.

Not all salesmen at your door, are salesmen either.

Personally, if I don't know them.... I don't answer the door, I have no need to talk to them at all.
    I don't make jokes. I just watch the government and report the facts. --- Will Rogers ---
    Chief Justice John Roberts : "I don't see how you can read Heller and not take away from it the notion that the Second Amendment...was extremely important to the framers in their view of what liberty meant."

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Links