OC vs brandishing at your door

This is a discussion on OC vs brandishing at your door within the Home (And Away From Home) Defense Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Originally Posted by DocT65 Originally Posted by QuasarZ Thanks for the replies. By resting a hand on the gun I did not mean using that ...

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Like Tree8Likes

Thread: OC vs brandishing at your door

Quote Originally Posted by DocT65 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by QuasarZ View Post
    Thanks for the replies. By resting a hand on the gun I did not mean using that as a way to leave. Like the post above, like a habit of putting hand on hip, in pocket etc. not as a scare tactic.
    Realizing you are new to this (at least that's what you implied), as others have pointed out, placing your hand on your gun (when you do not intend to use it) sends an incredible message to those who see this gesture. Innocent or not, it is a habit you must learn to break if you are going to accept the responsibility of carrying a weapon. In the worst case scenario, it will get you killed by someone who perceives this as a threat of deployment of deadly force.
    Ditto.

If sauntering along the trail on the "back forty" with the lever-action rifle slung over the shoulder, that's one thing. Having the hand on it while someone comes up isn't likely to be taken as a threatening gesture at all. But a hand on a handgun while answering a door in any suburban/urban setting I can think of is very likely to be taken completely differently, if not threateningly, possibly badly enough to put you in a bind. All things considered, IMO it's better, by far, to be armed and able to withstand attack if it should arise, but to let it sit benignly in the holster unless needed.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    This post made me remember the guy across the street when I was growing up. He answered the door with his de-miled M3 Grease Gun slung across his chest. I don't think the Fuller Brush man ever stopped there again!
    ws76133 likes this.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

Quote Originally Posted by QuasarZ View Post
    Lets say you have a salesman come to your door
    Post a "No Solicitations" sign. :-)

Quote Originally Posted by Curzyk View Post
    Post a "No Solicitations" sign. :-)
    Which many of them ignore.
    MASSIVE likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by 1MoreGoodGuy View Post
    Why don't you just hang a small sign next to the doorbell that reads "No Solicitors".
    Because that doesn't always work. I have that sign plastered on my mailbox at the end of the driveway and I'd still get Jehovah's Witnesses walk past it, up the driveway (100 feet) and stick their stuff in my door frame. But, yes, it sounds like a bad idea to put your hand on your gun...the salesman may take that as a threat you plan to shoot him and he might be a fellow CCWer.
    Ace
    Gotta Fly or Gonna Die

Honest to jeebus, one of these days I'm going to design, manufacture and market an "ABSOLUTELY, POSITIVELY NO SOLICITING WHATSOEVER - DO YOU UNDERSTAND?" sign. And I probably won't sell any.

I'll share one thing that I'm not even sure how to feel about --

Good lord, I used to get "D's" coming by during campaign season. I mean every other day. Ignored the "No Solicitation" signs, of course. But one day, my wife puts one of those U.S. ARMY stickers in one of the windows (for our son) and I figured what the heck, I'll put one of my NRA Endowment stickers next to it.

The visits from the "D's" stopped - cold. I'd actually see them come up the driveway, take a look at the window and turn around.
    NRA Life / Endowment UT, FL, IL

Quote Originally Posted by Eagleks View Post
    Not all salesmen at your door, are salesmen either.

Personally, if I don't know them.... I don't answer the door, I have no need to talk to them at all.
    True, they may be Jehovah's Witnesses, Girl Scouts, or Christmas carolers.
    "There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." ~ P. J. O'Rourke

Quote Originally Posted by MASSIVE View Post
    Honest to jeebus, one of these days I'm going to design, manufacture and market an "ABSOLUTELY, POSITIVELY NO SOLICITING WHATSOEVER - DO YOU UNDERSTAND?" sign. And I probably won't sell any.
    Overseas, I saw many (most) homes in the more-upscale districts have larger "compounds", with tall/thick surrounding walls (topped with razor wire and/or glass shards embedded in concrete), a good space between the walls and the home, and dogs roaming freely in the space. Entry was via electronic gate access, or via invitation only. The message was clear: stay out ... period ... and that means you.

Short of that sort of thing, pretty signs won't keep out the brazen or the criminal. Only effective barriers will.
    kapnketel likes this.

Distinguished Member Array kapnketel's Avatar
    My driveway is long (400 feet) so nobody comes to my door "just because" Mostly neighborhood kids selling for teams, scouts etc, I don't mind them at all. I usually have my 1911 on my him at 3-4, but when I get up to answer the door I slide it back to 4:30-5 so it is accessible but not obvious.

The only time I put my hand on my gun other than to draw it from the holster is I have a habit of reaching to it with one finger to make certain the safety is on.
    I'd rather be lucky than good any day

There's nothing that will change someone's moral outlook quicker than cash in large sums.

Majority rule only works if you're also considering individual rights. Because you can't have five wolves and one sheep voting on what to have for supper.

Depending on your State laws the scenario could end up like this,LEO what happened? I was trying to solicit at his door when he put his hand on his gun and told me I needed to leave, LEO: did you feel thretened? Salesman: Yes.At that point you may be calling your Lawyer
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Links