Baby monitor type set up that works on battery or solar only

This is a discussion on Baby monitor type set up that works on battery or solar only within the Home (And Away From Home) Defense Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Originally Posted by Rock and Glock There are several quality DIY Solar Vendors on the 'net with great telephone support. Here's most of what you'll ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: Baby monitor type set up that works on battery or solar only

Quote Originally Posted by Rock and Glock View Post
    There are several quality DIY Solar Vendors on the 'net with great telephone support. Here's most of what you'll need:

A small solar panel;
    A regulator (to avoid over-charging the battery system);
    A battery (car or truck);
    A battery case (to protect from elements - think marine);
    12 Volt lights (think Auto, RV or Marine applications);
    Timer for lights
    Wiring

You could even add an inverter and have 110 V too.

I tried to find the site where I built my system several years ago (to keep a boat battery charged) but could not. I did find several vendor sites for DIY.

I used a Baby Monitor in my Chicken Coop, but I had a 110 V run for the water heater (to prevent water freezing), lights and other accessories. Do you need to prevent water from freezing?

If it gives you any confidence, I avoid electricity type projects due to my fear of death.

The Solar projects are a snap with a good vendor/advisor. Just explain what your goals are.

There are also several good "Chicken" Forums with great solar advice and "how to": Raising BackYard Chickens, Build a Chicken Coop, Pictures of Breeds
    Thanks. Most of what you wrote is like another language to me but I guess I'll have to find that 'advisor.'

I do know 'backyard chickens.com' but never saw anything about solar on there. Will look again.

We dont get alot of freezing temps here, believe it or not. If we get a hard freeze overnight, I can break the ice in the am before work. On the less common times when it might stay below freezing during the day, I dont have any great solution yet. One thing I have is a 'frisbee' type thing that you heat in your microwave and it retains heat for hrs. It's for people who leave their little dogs in their cars for long periods of time.

I can set the waterer on that and it should keep the water ice-free for enough time during the day, until I come home again.
    Fortune favors the bold.

Freedom doesn't mean safe, it means free.

The thing about "defense" is that it has practically nothing to do with guns. (As passed on by CCW9MM)

2. Remove Ads

Quote Originally Posted by aus71383 View Post
    Sounds like quite a few things you have going on there! That's such a cute chicken coop - I'm not going to show my wife because she'll want me to make her one just like it right away.

You could get your trapping license and set kill traps around the exterior of the coop. A game camera would show you what kind of predators/varmints you're dealing with - if you can't find any tracks to identify.

You could set up a moveable AIR perimeter to turn on the wireless baby monitor. Do you know how many volts it runs on? The small motorcycle batteries can run for a long time - maybe you could get a couple and have one on trickle charge at the house while the other is powering the AIR/baby monitor at the coop.

So many options....

Austin
    Regarding traps and hot wire fencing and some other things suggested here...I have this coop in one of my smaller pastures. Horses do go out in there sometimes. So far, my horse as ignored the chickens. But I cant put hazards in the pasture and also, I move that chicken coop daily, a small amount (basically, a new footprint each day).

Also, the coop is heavy enough for me to move, esp in a bumpy pasture. I'm out there in the rain and the dark every nite as it is now after work. Not sure about adding 'peripherals' like a battery to move with it. But it is a possiblity.

Edit: also, 3 days a week the chickens get out of the coop and free range in the pasture (weekends & I work from home on Fris.) I dont want any hazards or obstructions for them either.
    Last edited by 9MMare; December 6th, 2012 at 02:58 AM.
    aus71383 likes this.
    Fortune favors the bold.

The thing about "defense" is that it has practically nothing to do with guns. (As passed on by CCW9MM)

Quote Originally Posted by ZX9RCAM View Post
    Would something like a driveway alarm work?

Sorry, that was a bad example, lol.

Wireless Driveway Alert & Driveway Alarm System
    That might work! Gotta look at it more closely. Lord knows the price is right.

Thanks.
    Fortune favors the bold.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Links