Baby monitor type set up that works on battery or solar only

This is a discussion on Baby monitor type set up that works on battery or solar only within the Home (And Away From Home) Defense Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I would like to have a set up like a (wireless) baby monitor where I can hear what is happening at a location outside the ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: Baby monitor type set up that works on battery or solar only

I would like to have a set up like a (wireless) baby monitor where I can hear what is happening at a location outside the home without electricity.

I tried a baby monitor set up but the battery is only for back up purposes and doesnt even last a full nite.

What other security options are there? I'm really only interested in audio. If video, I would still need some audible alert and I imagine it would be more expensive.

Thanks
    Fortune favors the bold.

Freedom doesn't mean safe, it means free.

The thing about "defense" is that it has practically nothing to do with guns. (As passed on by CCW9MM)

Google search really works....

outdoor wireless microphones
    https://www.google.com/search?q=wire...iw=720&bih=622
    "One of the greatest delusions in the world is the hope that the evils in this world are to be cured by legislation."
    --Thomas B. Reed, American Attorney

Second Amendment -- Established December 15, 1791 and slowly eroded ever since What happened to "..... shall not be infringed."

Quote Originally Posted by Crowman View Post
    Google search really works....

outdoor wireless microphones
    https://www.google.com/search?q=wire...iw=720&bih=622
    except your search returns nothing like what he is looking for, Try this google search.

https://www.google.com/webhp?sourcei...&bih=939&ion=1

heres a website that reviews some for you, not sure how old the reviews are tho. Top 10 Battery-powered Baby Monitors
    "The greatest danger to American freedom is a government that ignores the Constitution."Thomas Jefferson
    "Those who hammer their guns into plows will plow for those who do not."Thomas Jefferson

Quote Originally Posted by Jgriner View Post
    except your search returns nothing like what he is looking for, Try this google search.

https://www.google.com/webhp?sourcei...&bih=939&ion=1

heres a website that reviews some for you, not sure how old the reviews are tho. Top 10 Battery-powered Baby Monitors
    Thank you. I did a similar search and most seem to use the batteries only for back up when the power goes out. And reading their specs doesnt usually give enough info.

The one I tried, I called the company and they still didnt give me the right info. OTOH, I know more now and would be able to ask the right questions I think.

It doesnt have to be a baby monitor, but that is the only think I know of that acts like that. I'm sure there are other security devices that do the same, I just dont know what they're called to search on.
    Fortune favors the bold.

The thing about "defense" is that it has practically nothing to do with guns. (As passed on by CCW9MM)

Computer parts, Laptop computers, Desktop computers, Computer Hardware - Geeks.com have great prices on b&w and color wireless camera systems..probably with audio. You could make it solar powered pretty easy. Harbor Freight Tools has good prices on stuff like solar systems & converters. Cheaper Than Dirt - America's Ultimate Shooting Sports Discounter and Sportsman's Guide - Discount Hunting Gear, Discount Hunting Boots, Discount Shoes, Discount Ammunition, Discount Ammo, Discount Boots, Military Surplus, Outdoor Gear at The Sportsman's Guide are good other places to look. I like Cabela's: Cabela's Official Website - Quality Hunting, Fishing, Camping and Outdoor Gear at competitive prices. for reloading and some gear because great pricing. Check out the Lee Classic Loader for beginner reloading of cartridges.

Ex Member
    Why not just get motion detectors with light and audible buzzer activation?

Someone here once suggested an old Intercom model from Radio Shack powered by one 9 volt battery. Place it outside somewhere protected by the weather. Being able to hear whats going on around your home outside would give a home owner some advantage. Possibly a couple of these, one in your garage or outbuilding. Maybe someone here with an electronics background could post a simple schematic for the same device using a microphone or something...Use hardwired system.Be aware of voltage drop using long wires between both intercom boxes. DO NOT go wireless or you'd be bugging yourself. Anyone with a 2.4ghz receiver will hear your transmitters...
    Last edited by 1911srule; December 3rd, 2012 at 08:54 AM.
    RIP Jeff Cooper

One option would be a battery operated PIR wired to switch on the baby monitor you already have. It doesn't take much electronics knowledge to put something like this together. You could use a simple integrated circuit timer to switch it back off after a certain number of minutes go by. Might cost you ~$100 in parts (including the PIR) if you have any skills with electronics or know someone that does. Could be a fun project.

There are also plenty of home security type solutions that are tailor made for this purpose - but probably would cost you a lot more, and get more people involved.

A couple of even cheaper options: wire batteries in parallel so that your existing setup will last as long as you need it to. This would require frequent battery changes, but is probably the simplest solution with the least work involved.

Also you could run power to the exterior where you want to have the audio monitor - then you aren't relying on the battery backup, it's wired to the house.

I'm just brainstorming and typing at the same time - there is a solution for your problem, that's for sure.

Austin

put rechargable batteries in it, and hook it up to a solar charger.... or ... just hook it up via a fake battery pack that supplies power to a small solar panel with the correct output. Not diffult to do . But, there are listening devices ... etc. that may be easier, or even cameras with mics for sound that would work as well... and send it via radio signal to your receiver.
    I don't make jokes. I just watch the government and report the facts. --- Will Rogers ---
    Chief Justice John Roberts : "I don't see how you can read Heller and not take away from it the notion that the Second Amendment...was extremely important to the framers in their view of what liberty meant."

I have zero electronics knowlege and would love to hook MANY things up to solar power.

OK, this is for my chicken coop. To hear if predators are getting in at nite. It is a moveable chicken coop on wheels and I move it a little bit every day out in a pasture. There is no electricity run out there. I would also love to have a small light go on in the coop in the morning because the lack of light has caused the chickens to almost stop laying. That's natural but you can keep them laying with artificial light. It needs to come on in the am, not go off later in the pm. It needs to be solar or battery powered and on a timer. I cannot find something to do this.

The baby monitor thing worked great...until the batteries ran out...at 4:30 am and the parental unit's alarm went off. But I could hear any major noises out in the coop.

Coop1.jpg
    Fortune favors the bold.

If you can run a cat5 to the general area then you can use a "power over Ethernet" security cam. Foscam FI8905E Power Over Ethernet Outdoor IP Camera - Products

You'd have to get a good Poe injector, bunches of them on amazon.

There are several quality DIY Solar Vendors on the 'net with great telephone support. Here's most of what you'll need:

A small solar panel;
    A regulator (to avoid over-charging the battery system);
    A battery (car or truck);
    A battery case (to protect from elements - think marine);
    12 Volt lights (think Auto, RV or Marine applications);
    Timer for lights
    Wiring

You could even add an inverter and have 110 V too.

I tried to find the site where I built my system several years ago (to keep a boat battery charged) but could not. I did find several vendor sites for DIY.

I used a Baby Monitor in my Chicken Coop, but I had a 110 V run for the water heater (to prevent water freezing), lights and other accessories. Do you need to prevent water from freezing?

If it gives you any confidence, I avoid electricity type projects due to my fear of death.

The Solar projects are a snap with a good vendor/advisor. Just explain what your goals are.

There are also several good "Chicken" Forums with great solar advice and "how to": http://www.backyardchickens.com/

Would something like a driveway alarm work?

Sorry, that was a bad example, lol.

Wireless Driveway Alert & Driveway Alarm System
    If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went.

-Will Rogers

Im a big fan of the .22LR for bear defense.
    Just shoot the guy next to you in the knee and run like heck.

Just put up a sign that says..."No Predators Allowed". Fines should be enforced.
    ZX9RCAM and TVille like this.
    "Confidence is food for the wise man but liquor for the fool"

Sounds like quite a few things you have going on there! That's such a cute chicken coop - I'm not going to show my wife because she'll want me to make her one just like it right away.

You could get your trapping license and set kill traps around the exterior of the coop. A game camera would show you what kind of predators/varmints you're dealing with - if you can't find any tracks to identify.

You could set up a moveable AIR perimeter to turn on the wireless baby monitor. Do you know how many volts it runs on? The small motorcycle batteries can run for a long time - maybe you could get a couple and have one on trickle charge at the house while the other is powering the AIR/baby monitor at the coop.

So many options....

Austin

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links