I might have been mugged or a victim...

This is a discussion on I might have been mugged or a victim... within the Home (And Away From Home) Defense Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; In my line of work I often find myself at hotels for a long period of time. I am not one to just sit around ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree11Likes

Thread: I might have been mugged or a victim...

I might have been mugged or a victim...

In my line of work I often find myself at hotels for a long period of time. I am not one to just sit around so I went out for a walk and get some food. I Was walking back from eating and decided to not just sit in my room for the rest ofnthe day so I stopped at a gas station being renovated and sat on a post/block thing to browse web and chill. Since reading defensive carry I knew that this was easy prey so I kept my head on a swivel. I kept my scan going and had situational awareness for the most part. After awhile of sitting and browsing on my phone I noticed two guys approaching from behind me. One guy was walking backwards like if trying to be sneaky and not have me notice, which threw a huge red flag. The other guy was coming around at another angle appearing to corner me or cut me off. Normally I would just casually walk away like no big deal as if I wasn't aware that they were there. Not this time. They had my radar going off like crazy. I hopped up and took off. As soon as I brislky walked away they immediately stopped coming at me and went towards their car behind the station. Now I'm like crap are they gonna follow me? There are no sidewalks so I cut across the street and through an open gassy field. Came to a restaurant and saw some sheriff cars so I stood there for a bit. Didn't see them follow me so I cut back across the street to hotel. I know it wasn't the brightest idea to just sit and chill where I was, but this was a good lesson that this could happen anywhere at any time. This was at 1pm in a populated area. I am certainly glad I didn't just brush it off even if it was me over reacting, who knows what would have happened.

2. Remove Ads

Thats why you keep the SA up. Glad it ended well. Not sure of some details, but going into the field seems dangerous if they were able to catch up, but I am sure your judgement said it was the best route.
    BigJon

"Better to keep your mouth shut and be thought a fool than to open it and remove all doubt" ~ Mark Twain

Distinguished Member Array noway2's Avatar

I might have been mugged/victim...

A few things:
    1) You should read the rules regarding appropriate language on this forum. Your post is laced with a few colorful metaphors which is frowned upon.
    2) Rule of stupids: don't do stupid things, in stupid places, with stupid people least you win a stupid prize.
    3)Avoid, evade, escape, which it appears you did. As you said, situational awareness is the key. It would have still been better to not temp fate if this area were suspect.

Let me clarify a bit. I typed that up quick. It wasn't a field per se, like a field one would think. It was an open grassy area where future businesses could go. I'll upload a pic from my window of where I stopped and the "field" if it turns out.

Edit for pics added. First is where I stopped. Second is the "field" I went across.
    Attached Images

Makes sense. I hate the "stop and robs" and ATM's. Avoid em as much as possible. As you knew or at least know SA is key. As NoWay2 said, it is best to avoid those places. Playing the odds is dangerous. Sounds like you did fine by me.
    BigJon

"Better to keep your mouth shut and be thought a fool than to open it and remove all doubt" ~ Mark Twain

Re: I might have been mugged or a victim...

I think we are going to have to wait for Bob Costas to comment on the situation.
    George
    Smile. It makes people wonder what you are up to

I don't know about Bob but I always walk backwards when I try to sneek up on someone!

Quote Originally Posted by markush View Post
    I don't know about Bob but I always walk backwards when I try to sneek up on someone!
    Not sure if this is a jab at me over thinking things but I don't know why he would be doing that. He wasn't just walking continuously backwards, when he noticed me notice him he kinda stopped and acted like he was fumbling with the garbage can, and that's when I saw the other guy come from the other direction. Who knows, this all might be nothing, but it certainly made me feel uncomfortable.

Ex Member
    Quote Originally Posted by QuasarZ View Post
    Not sure if this is a jab at me over thinking things but I don't know why he would be doing that. He wasn't just walking continuously backwards, when he noticed me notice him he kinda stopped and acted like he was fumbling with the garbage can, and that's when I saw the other guy come from the other direction. Who knows, this all might be nothing, but it certainly made me feel uncomfortable.

Don't take it personal. Internet is FULL of 'kids' who have never left their mothers basement but still full of advice and criticism and get their kicks picking on new guys. Most look like this:

You learned something, you survived. Good day.
    niks likes this.

They had my radar going off like crazy.
    Yup. Never, ever, ever just ignore the "radar." Radar's good. Well-tuned, it can pick up on those things that we're not quite making sense of yet.

Glad you "made" them before they got too close.

A good example of how heads-down "browsing" with phones and other electronic devices can take you out of your head, allowing for others to take advantage of that. Glad it didn't burn you ... this time.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

There's nothing wrong with hanging out and enjoying the afternoon in public places.

Unfortunately, you have to constantly be aware of what's going on around you and whether or not you are presenting yourself as a good target of opportunity. For example, sitting in a park, enjoying the view and being outdoors is one thing. Having your head buried in a book or electronic device and being preoccupied with something else, unfortunately sends off signals to predators that easy prey is in range.

Often times, thugs may have no intention of scoring at the time, but if they just happen to come across someone who is completely preoccupied, they may see that as a target of opportunity and just too good to pass up.

They may have seen you as a target of opportunity, and when you popped up and took off, they decided to just go on, and not worth pursuing you.

I'm glad everything turned out okay. You gotta pay attention, or risk being targeted.
    tcox4freedom and oneshot like this.
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

Good thing you learned about SA from hanging out here.It never ceases to amaze me how many people walk around in total oblivion to their surroundings,most are texting on their cells.
    I can understand getting out in the fresh air,but might be a good idea to find a place like a coffee joint with outside seating
    Bark'n likes this.
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

It's not "safe" anywhere. Dustin Hoffman can't go jogging in Central park without getting nabbed by one of the last Nazis.
    Young ladies can't go to parties with their girlfriends in Paris, without being "taken" for the human trafficking trade.
    You can't go on a canoe trip in the south without squealing like a pig.

I just stay home... it's safest there... but I never go into the basement to check on "that noise."

^^^^^My little jab at the movies^^^^^^

For the most part Bark'n's got it right...

You are probably 99.7% safe 100% of the time, even if you're bumbling about with your head in the cloudTM (Microsoft, Apple, And all the rest).

But then again, if you are engrossed in something, in an area with which you are not familiar, you may be giving off signals like a doe in heat during the rut... And those percentages go wildly askew.
    Rats!
    It could be worse!
    I suppose

Quote Originally Posted by oakchas View Post
    It's not "safe" anywhere. Dustin Hoffman can't go jogging in Central park without getting nabbed by one of the last Nazis.
    Young ladies can't go to parties with their girlfriends in Paris, without being "taken" for the human trafficking trade.
    You can't go on a canoe trip in the south without squealing like a pig.

I just stay home... it's safest there... but I never go into the basement to check on "that noise."

^^^^^My little jab at the movies^^^^^^

For the most part Bark'n's got it right...

You are probably 99.7% safe 100% of the time, even if you're bumbling about with your head in the cloudTM (Microsoft, Apple, And all the rest).

But then again, if you are engrossed in something, in an area with which you are not familiar, you may be giving off signals like a doe in heat during the rut... And those percentages go wildly askew.
    The solution to being a victim: Funny GEICO Commercial Happier than an Antelope with Night Vision Goggles - YouTube
    HKinNY and Bark'n like this.
    Vietnam Vets, WELCOME HOME

Crossman 760 BB/Pellet, Daisy Red Ryder, Crossman Wrist Rocket, 14 Steak Knives, 3 Fillet Knives, Rolling Pin-14", Various Hunting Knives, 2 Baseball Bats, 3 Big Dogs and a big American Flag flying in the yard. I have no firearms; Try the next house.

Let me clarify a bit. I typed that up quick. It wasn't a field per se, like a field one would think. It was an open grassy area where future businesses could go. I'll upload a pic from my window of where I stopped and the "field" if it turns out.

Edit for pics added. First is where I stopped. Second is the "field" I went across.
    That looks just like the gas station and field where my buddy and I were going to try and sneak up and rob a guy...
    mano3 likes this.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links