Have you had a break-in with vicious dog signs and dog in house? - Page 2

Have you had a break-in with vicious dog signs and dog in house?

This is a discussion on Have you had a break-in with vicious dog signs and dog in house? within the Home (And Away From Home) Defense Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Originally Posted by xXxplosive Not so..............had an insurance adjuster come into the house while we were away....my brother-in-law let him in and the dog had ...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree7Likes

Thread: Have you had a break-in with vicious dog signs and dog in house?

Quote Originally Posted by xXxplosive View Post
    Not so..............had an insurance adjuster come into the house while we were away....my brother-in-law let him in and the dog had Thanksgiving Dinner....adjuster went to the hospital for treatment.....figured we be sued.....received a letter from the township stating the adjuster saw the sign and entered knowing the dog was in the home......Too Bad For Him.....he won't be doing that again.....no law suit either.....my suggestion, POST YOUR SIGNS.....I do......then if it happens, it's their fault for being there.
    I'm glad you were lucky on that one. A vicious dog biting people who come on your property is bad enough. Hanging out a sign announcing it would seem to me to remove any doubt as to your negligence.

Sorry........but those are the facts and I retained the letter for my records.....the adjuster entered the home after reading the Beware Of Dog Sign and admitted to that.....guess he didn't have leg to stand on......litterally.....as far as the viscious dog you say......well he was doing his job and continues to do so......stop bye sometime......Just kiddin'...naturally.

Actually he has 3 AKC obedience titles and if he were vicious he would never be allowed in the competition ring or to compete. He's just a German Shepard which make him much smarter than most two legged creatures.

VIP Member Array Civil_Response's Avatar
    Could very well have to do with what state you're in as well... much like opinions on defensive scenarios, it's hard to give blanket advice that sticks nationwide.

My thought is that he didn't enter uninvited, he was allowed in... the dog should have been restrained, because at that time he was not doing his job, he was attacking an innocent person who was there to do a job.

Actually as I said, I thought we were going to be sued........we weren't...........Sooooooooo.

Win! :)

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    Sometimes you get lucky; sometimes not.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

I've got a cat and I've never had a break in. Of course, I never had any problems before I had the cat. The cat's response? "You were just lucky."
    OldVet likes this.
    "The superior man, when resting in safety, does not forget that danger may come." ~ Confucius

Just put a pair of size 14 boots by the doorway.

Distinguished Member Array shadowwalker's Avatar
    I would rather it be a surprise as to whats inside

My in-laws live in the hood and have had break-ins. All have happened when they were gone with the two very large blood hounds. The police say that ALMOST without exception never go to break in calls where a dog is present in the house.

Yes, I've had a break in with dogs in the house, it was our three border collies. When I came home they were in the yard and they're NEVER left outside when we're not home. The cops thought the perpetrators were high school kids who tried to pry the front door open then went over the fence and broke the back doors to get in. What was the worst, for me, was the realization that my dogs were lucky to not be injured.

That group of dogs did bark but nothing compared to the ones we have now. Again, three border collies, but also a big Australian Kelpie and an Australian Shepherd. One BC flings himself against the door if someone is out there while the others jump around on the furniture whipping themselves into a barking frenzy.

No signs, isn't the barking enough?

Sure, go ahead, break in. The dogs will enjoy it but I doubt if you will.

Re: Have you had a break-in with vicious dog signs and dog in house?

Quote Originally Posted by wmhawth View Post
    You may have slightly missed Thunder71s point. I've thought about the same thing and I can visualize someone's little kid getting into my property and getting bit by my dog while I have a sign posted clearly announcing that I am willingly negligent by allowing a dangerous condition to exist on my property resulting in an injury to a child. I'm no attorney but I see what T71 is saying.
    Sort of like posting a sign saying "I'm negligent, sue me".
    No, I got his point. But, I think you misunderstood mine. We're generally agreeing. I just think its ridiculous that the law has become so twisted the you would need disclaimers for cautionary signs or that they are an admission of guilt. People don't own their mistakes or lack of judgement. A little kid wanders onto your property? He should have been supervised.

Sent from my PG06100 using Tapatalk 2
    'Fortes Fortuna Juvat'
    NRA Member
    NRA Life of Duty Member

Had a persistent couple of thieves try for my garage while we were home. Dog will not bark, but she'll let you know something is up...
    RIP Jeff Cooper

I have a warning sign for my dogs. When my insurance agent saw it, they told me to remove it. Apparently if my dogs are actually vicious, they are all bark, and someone got bitten I could get sued. They threatened to cancel my policy so I had to remove the sign.

That's the kind of world we live in currently. How screwed up is that?

Quote Originally Posted by RAL View Post
    Have you ever experienced a break-in while having “vicious dog” warning signs outside all doors, and an alert dog in the house?
    Have experienced a home burglary with dogs present, but I do not have "vicious dog" warning signs, as I won't own a vicious dog (and I wouldn't want to discourage Mr. UPS and Mr. Fed Ex from bringing me goodies!)

All I need from my dogs is the bark. I'll supply the bite.
    OldVet likes this.
    "...people who carry a gun understand that they are arming themselves against a very unlikely event... People who arm themselves are not confused about the odds. They are concerned about the stakes. -Kathy Jackson
    NRA Life Member

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Links