Have you had a break-in with vicious dog signs and dog in house?

This is a discussion on Have you had a break-in with vicious dog signs and dog in house? within the Home (And Away From Home) Defense Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Have you ever experienced a break-in while having “vicious dog” warning signs outside all doors, and an alert dog in the house?...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree7Likes

Thread: Have you had a break-in with vicious dog signs and dog in house?

Question Have you had a break-in with vicious dog signs and dog in house?

Have you ever experienced a break-in while having “vicious dog” warning signs outside all doors, and an alert dog in the house?
    I know Whose I am. I know where I'm going. I know the job I'm to do while I'm here. I am an ambassador. This is not my home.

Evil prospers when good people to do nothing. Please don't turn your back. ACT!

2. Remove Ads

Signs? What signs?
    "If you make something idiot proof, someone will make a better idiot."

- Anon

No I haven't. But my signs only say beware of dog. He let everyone know he was a 160lb Rotty and possibly vicious. :)

I have signs posted...just so my dog can remember to stay alert! Maybe I should feed him based on commission?
    To answer the OP, no I haven't. But I had a friend who's alarm was a LOUD, long-loop recording of the toughest-sounding monster dog I'd ever heard. Even when I KNEW I was gonna' hear it, it STILL scared the crap outta' me. Very effective deterrent.
    OD*, RAL and nerdyvirgin like this.
    There are only TWO kinds of people in this world; those who describe the world as filled with two kinds of people...and those who don't.

Two of my signs. My friends think they're funny. Unknown people back away from the door when I answer.

PB091063.jpgPB091062.jpg

We've never had a break-in.

I've heard about those vicious dog recordings that come on when the sensor is tripped. I think they're wonderful!
    I know Whose I am. I know where I'm going. I know the job I'm to do while I'm here. I am an ambassador. This is not my home.

Evil prospers when good people to do nothing. Please don't turn your back. ACT!

Answer to your question: No, nor have I personally known anyone that has experienced this. Few thugs are willing to tangle with two 85 lb. German Shepherds. I spend what I would spend on an alarm on dog food and ammo.

I only have signs on my fenced yard to avert someone from entering with honest intentions and being injured, which is what would happen. Pool man knows not to enter unless dogs are put inside. Anyone who wants to test the validity of the signs will not be walking awy on their own.....as a sign I've seen states: "Forget the dog, beware of owner!".
    "Better to be judged by 12 than carried by 6"

NRA Patron Member

I've read that those signs can backfire... having them shows you know your dog is dangerous to people, and if someone gets bit then you are held even more responsible.

Quote Originally Posted by Thunder71 View Post
    I've read that those signs can backfire... having them shows you know your dog is dangerous to people, and if someone gets bit then you are held even more responsible.
    Really? When does that crap end. Not blaming you Thunder, just using your word of caution to address my point. However, based on this logic, I could still sue McDonald's for scalding myself on a cup of their hot coffee....because they knew it was hot and had a warning printed on their cup telling me that they knew it was hot? Ridiculous. When are people going to grow a pair and take some responsibility for their own actions. I apologize for the rant, but I'm tired of it. I have a saying that I use frequently when dealing with whiners: 90% of what happens to you is a direct result of your own actions. Suck it up buttercup.
    'Fortes Fortuna Juvat'
    NRA Member
    NRA Life of Duty Member

I agree, just wanted to throw that out there for those who have one to be aware of it. Same goes for those 'Never mind the dog, beware of owner!' signs.

SPSONR-Tinsign.jpg

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    Yes. Sort of. No signs, no vicious attack dogs, just the family mutt who barked like heck as she ran. The investigating LEO said dogs keep the kids out, the experienced thiefs, if they really want in, will deal with the dogs. "If they want in, a Rott won't stop them," he said. The signs let them plan for them in advance.
    Retired USAF E-8. Avatar is OldVet from days long gone. Oh, to be young again.
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

My signs say.......Beware......German Shepard On Duty...........with his pic.....if you can't read.

Quote Originally Posted by Nebraska12 View Post
    Really? When does that crap end. Not blaming you Thunder, just using your word of caution to address my point. However, based on this logic, I could still sue McDonald's for scalding myself on a cup of their hot coffee....because they knew it was hot and had a warning printed on their cup telling me that they knew it was hot? Ridiculous. When are people going to grow a pair and take some responsibility for their own actions. I apologize for the rant, but I'm tired of it. I have a saying that I use frequently when dealing with whiners: 90% of what happens to you is a direct result of your own actions. Suck it up buttercup.
    You may have slightly missed Thunder71s point. I've thought about the same thing and I can visualize someone's little kid getting into my property and getting bit by my dog while I have a sign posted clearly announcing that I am willingly negligent by allowing a dangerous condition to exist on my property resulting in an injury to a child. I'm no attorney but I see what T71 is saying.
    Sort of like posting a sign saying "I'm negligent, sue me".

Not so..............had an insurance adjuster come into the house while we were away....my brother-in-law let him in and the dog had Thanksgiving Dinner....adjuster went to the hospital for treatment.....figured we be sued.....received a letter from the township stating the adjuster saw the sign and entered knowing the dog was in the home......Too Bad For Him.....he won't be doing that again.....no law suit either.....my suggestion, POST YOUR SIGNS.....I do......then if it happens, it's their fault for being there.

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    Townships don't establish who can file or when a civil suit can be filed. Seeing as your B-in-L let him in (Legally entered, not trespassing), the B-in-L shoulders part of the responsibility. No matter what signage is posted, ultimately YOU are responsible for what your dog does.

Personally, If I were the adjuster, I'd have filed suit for failing to restrain a vicious animal and would have dumped your homeowners liability for keeping such an animal. They can do that.
    Retired USAF E-8. Avatar is OldVet from days long gone. Oh, to be young again.
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

My attorney brother says just the opposite......to not warn of a potential threat inside the fence can be construed by some dopey civil judges as "negligence". Just like a the need for a "Danger-High Voltage" sign on an electrical pole....duh.

Welcome to the world of the parasitic, opportunistic plaintiff lawyers.
    "Better to be judged by 12 than carried by 6"

NRA Patron Member

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links