Good Home Defense Tips From American Rifleman

This is a discussion on Good Home Defense Tips From American Rifleman within the Home (And Away From Home) Defense Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Preparing For Home Defense...

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By gatopardo

Thread: Good Home Defense Tips From American Rifleman

Link doesn't work for me
    “There are only two ways to live your life. One is as though nothing is a miracle. The other is as though everything is a miracle.”
    ― Albert Einstein

OK, now it works. I didn't realize I hadn't logged in.
    “There are only two ways to live your life. One is as though nothing is a miracle. The other is as though everything is a miracle.”
    ― Albert Einstein

Good stuff, and pretty simple. I really like that magazine. I love my home alarm as it has multiple ways of triggering it. It also lets everyone on the block know, something is up. The audible part is IMO more significant than the monitoring, but I like that part too.

I am looking into strengthening windows and door locks currently. Have 2 sliding glass doors downstairs and they worry me.
    BigJon

"Better to keep your mouth shut and be thought a fool than to open it and remove all doubt" ~ Mark Twain

Quote Originally Posted by BigJon10125 View Post

I am looking into strengthening windows and door locks currently. Have 2 sliding glass doors downstairs and they worry me.
    Yes, I have 2 glass sliding doors on my first floor that make me nervous. Last week it was warm out and my wife cracked one of them and closed it soon after but forgot to lock it with both the hand lock and the locking bar (thing that lays on the ground to prevent door from opening. The next morning when I went to let the dog out, I realized it had been unlocked all night! I simply shook my head, "HONEY! you left the house unlocked ALL NIGHT!"

I read online that a sliding door has extra room in the top track so you can lift the door up and out of the track if necessary. The problem is someone on the outside can use a crowbar or another tool to remove it and come in your house. The solution is to run several screws into the top track enough to not interfere with sliding but leave them sticking out enough to prevent the door from being lifted out of the track. If you do have to remove it sometime, take out the screws.

And I've found ours left unlocked several times, so I try to check every night that it is locked.

Quote Originally Posted by AVGuy View Post
    I read online that a sliding door has extra room in the top track so you can lift the door up and out of the track if necessary. The problem is someone on the outside can use a crowbar or another tool to remove it and come in your house. The solution is to run several screws into the top track enough to not interfere with sliding but leave them sticking out enough to prevent the door from being lifted out of the track. If you do have to remove it sometime, take out the screws.

And I've found ours left unlocked several times, so I try to check every night that it is locked.
    i JUST checked mine actually. about to turn in

This is for sure one of those things we all need to think about from time to time. I think we need a good strategy and practice it often.

Goose
    "These days I go down to Wal-Mart and they sell 'em in the back.
    Some people wanna take 'em away, why don't you go bust them boys that's sellin' crack.
    Guns, whether Remingtons 'er Glocks.
    Come on man it ain't like I'm a slingin' 'em on the block." - Justin Moore

I used to open my sliding back door, when locked, from outside all the time with a one, two push to the right. On the 2nd push, it'd open right up. Drove my husband nuts but it was unsecured like that for a long time. He finally screwed a door hinge into the track and the base of one of the doors - now it doesn't open at all...and drives ME nuts! Back when we were having break ins on my street and in the surrounding area, they gained entrance by throwing a brick through the glass anyway. One of my neighbors forgot to lock the front door one morning going to work...they got broken into that day...by a brick through the sliding glass door...

Sponsor
    I carry as much as possible when I'm @ home or have a firearm handy but out of sight.

It's my perception that in many of home invasion, perpetrators seem to know what they are looking for.
    so in many cases there is link, missing link perhaps, but there is one.

I don't bring inside your home people I don't know if you can help it.
    Make sure you double check contractors and such coming inside your home, take names, call supervisors, take photos.
    Believe me they do just the same to make sure they'll get paid.
    Under scrutiny most people will feel the pressure to go thru the straight and narrow.
    Rock and Glock likes this.
    Go with the glow

I've got security storm doors both front and back, always have a firearm on me or within arms reach, and always on me when I answer the door, and an 870 under the bed for night time use. I grew up in Gary, IN back in the 40s and 50s and even then learned SA and to always lock doors and keep them locked at all times unless you are going in or out! And when I get out of a car or truck at a gas station, the keys come with me! And if I have to go into the gas station for some reason, the vehicle is locked. SA, SA, Sa. At all times!
    Live to ride, ride to live. Harley Road King And keep a .45 handy Kimber Custom TLE II

Ex Member
    Good basic read BUT they didn't mention 2 of the best deterrents: alarms and dogs.

Quote Originally Posted by 1 old 0311 View Post
    Good basic read BUT they didn't mention 2 of the best deterrents: alarms and dogs.
    they mention alarms and i think dogs too

Links