Better home defense for middle of the night: Shotgun or Handgun? - Page 3

Better home defense for middle of the night: Shotgun or Handgun?

This is a discussion on Better home defense for middle of the night: Shotgun or Handgun? within the Home (And Away From Home) Defense Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Better home defense for middle of the night: Shotgun or Handgun? I go both ways. Use what your good with and what you 'practiced' with....

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
Like Tree45Likes

Thread: Better home defense for middle of the night: Shotgun or Handgun?

I go both ways. Use what your good with and what you 'practiced' with.
    "Just getting a concealed carry permit means you haven't commited a crime yet. CCP holders commit crimes." Daniel Vice, senior attorney for the Brady Campaign to Prevent Gun Violence, quoted on Fox & Friends, 8 Jul, 2008

(Sometimes) "a fight avioded is a fight won." ... claude clay

Quote Originally Posted by goldshellback View Post

I go both ways. Use what your good with and what you 'practiced' with.
    ok. **gets nunchucks out**
    pittypat21 and iguanadon like this.

I have both. The pistol by the bed, the Benelli on the way out the bedroom door.

Quote Originally Posted by ghost tracker View Post
    ...For home defense, have a gun-mounted light on whatever gun you choose, preferably on both...
    Being able to see is a very, very good thing, just realize that if you have kids and weapon mounted lights then there is a chance that you will end up pointing a loaded gun at them. Not good, especially when you've just woken up and have that adrenaline cocktail going.

For that reason I prefer a separate light.

Speaking of kids, depending on your house layout, you may need to clear the house to get to them. My kids love it when we break out the nerf guns and play "hide and go seek". They don't realize it yet, but they've learned pretty quickly how to pie a corner, and the location of all the blind spots and kill zones are in the house.

Re: Better home defense for middle of the night: Shotgun or Handgun?

I read something in the past few days, don't remember where: Handgun for when you're moving around the house (shuttling the family to the safe room, etc.), shotgun for once you're there and hunkered down.
    BlueHawk76 likes this.

Get a really mean Dog. When you hear something take your time get dressed get your weapon walk out see who the Dog is eating
    CAT101 and mano3 like this.

coach guns.png

I don't care what anybody says, a double barrel wielded by a compentent homeowner will take care of business........
    Attach a side-saddle and practice reloading, your good-to-go.
    Rock and Glock likes this.
    "Just getting a concealed carry permit means you haven't commited a crime yet. CCP holders commit crimes." Daniel Vice, senior attorney for the Brady Campaign to Prevent Gun Violence, quoted on Fox & Friends, 8 Jul, 2008

(Sometimes) "a fight avioded is a fight won." ... claude clay

Both ... I think both together, are a very good combination. I've never been convinced that anything other than a combination of both has been "the best".

Do you use only one type of hammer ? or , one type of saw ?
    I don't make jokes. I just watch the government and report the facts. --- Will Rogers ---
    Chief Justice John Roberts : "I don't see how you can read Heller and not take away from it the notion that the Second Amendment...was extremely important to the framers in their view of what liberty meant."

I keep a .38 snubby in my night stand by the bed along with a small led flashlight.

With a Glock-21 by the bed, a .357 in the night stand drawer for the wife, and a 12ga coach gun with 00 buck inside the closet...we're covered.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Quote Originally Posted by AdBro View Post
    I really don't see the benefit to an AR over a handgun or shotgun for home defense (i might be stupid). i dont like the idea of a long gun at night in confined spaces and i feel a HP from a 9 has more CLOSE RANGE stopping power than a .223 at super close ranges.

thoughts?
    Physics, intimidation, blinding power, high capacity... Loaded with 77 grain TAP Defense loads. Between the blinding surefire, laser and the confidence I have with my aim point, I trust my life too it.

In regards to mobility; its an excellent point, I try to practice often walking through my house with it in the dark to take care of this issue.
    aus71383 likes this.
    "The Beauty of the Second Amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it." -Thomas Jefferson

"When loss of liberty is looming, as it is now The siren sounds first in the hearts of freedoms vanguard"- Heston
    NRA LIFE MEMBER

i keep my 9mm at my bed side and my AR behind my door....i have realized that AR's are not for everyone so dont go out and buy one cause i say so lol but i think its handy i dont have a flashlight for my 9 but i do have a tatical light for my AR that has a shutter mode which i have tested on my unsuspecting girlfriend and a few other friends like everyone has said above it all comes down to personal preferance.

as for the hearing..... you are not going immeditely notice it but even shooting out in the open duck hunting or what have you, your ears are going to be slightly damaged....i work in a shop and even using my impact gun and haveing my ears close by starts to hurt them after a while..

hope this helps!! :)

Quote Originally Posted by rwponline View Post
    Being able to see is a very, very good thing, just realize that if you have kids and weapon mounted lights then there is a chance that you will end up pointing a loaded gun at them. Not good, especially when you've just woken up and have that adrenaline cocktail going.

For that reason I prefer a separate light.

Speaking of kids, depending on your house layout, you may need to clear the house to get to them. My kids love it when we break out the nerf guns and play "hide and go seek". They don't realize it yet, but they've learned pretty quickly how to pie a corner, and the location of all the blind spots and kill zones are in the house.
    good point and AWESOME IDEA

Quote Originally Posted by Eagleks View Post

Do you use only one type of hammer ? or , one type of saw ?
    with one hand at the same time? yes.

Quote Originally Posted by CAT101 View Post
    i keep my 9mm at my bed side and my AR behind my door....i have realized that AR's are not for everyone so dont go out and buy one cause i say so lol but i think its handy i dont have a flashlight for my 9 but i do have a tatical light for my AR that has a shutter mode which i have tested on my unsuspecting girlfriend and a few other friends like everyone has said above it all comes down to personal preferance.

as for the hearing..... you are not going immeditely notice it but even shooting out in the open duck hunting or what have you, your ears are going to be slightly damaged....i work in a shop and even using my impact gun and haveing my ears close by starts to hurt them after a while..

hope this helps!! :)
    thanks. i def want a light with shutter mode

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Links