Better home defense for middle of the night: Shotgun or Handgun?

This is a discussion on Better home defense for middle of the night: Shotgun or Handgun? within the Home (And Away From Home) Defense Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Originally Posted by ghost tracker if you've been shooting handguns & shotguns enough without wearing hearing protection to know which one "bothers you the most" ...

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
Like Tree45Likes

Thread: Better home defense for middle of the night: Shotgun or Handgun?

Quote Originally Posted by ghost tracker View Post
    if you've been shooting handguns & shotguns enough without wearing hearing protection to know which one "bothers you the most" then your hearing is already badly hammered.
    Not quite.

It doesn't take a lot of shooting without hearing protection to figure it out. My hearing is fine, and I've shot enough to know which bothers me the most. I've fired one round with my .45 without hearing protection, half a clip (lol just kidding, magazine) from my AR (5.56), and quite a few shotgun rounds.

The one round from my .45 caused me to temporarily lose hearing in my right ear, and ringing in my left ear. Several rounds out of my AR resulted in about 75% temporary hearing loss in my left ear. I can shoot shotguns all day with no impact to my hearing.

Other than the temporary hearing loss at the time of shooting, my hearing is fine - certainly FAR from "badly hammered".
    "Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everyone you meet."
    -General James Mattis, USMC

2. Remove Ads

Quote Originally Posted by pgrass101 View Post
    Okay a 9mm is not even in the same ballpark as a .223 for stopping power at any range.
    ...But at range of less than 12 feet, .223 is so fast that it may pass right through a body without imparting much energy on the body. Spin is still too tight at that distance to cause tumbling yet. Mortal wounds? Proabably. Instant knock down? Perhaps not. Also probably not instant knockdown with a 9mm. Probably will have instant knockdown with a shotgun at 12-15 feet, if firing a good LE buckshot round...

@OP: Do you know how to move through a house with a firearm? Long gun or pistol? Is your family trained in what to do if a BG enters the house? Regardless of what firearm you use you need to take a training seesion or two on what to do. And to answer the question:Shotgun in my house and pistol.
    mano3 likes this.
    Then I heard the voice of the Lord saying, “Whom shall I send? And who will go for us?”
    And I said, “Here am I. Send me!”

Isaiah 6:8

im pickin the 12ga and handing the handgun to my wife, i can reach both while still in bed (not that i would unless had no choice). But i have also practiced moving through my house and opening doors while still aiming so i am comfortable and very confindent with it. most likely in a break in i will just call the police and wait in the bedroom, i have nothing of value in the livingroom or kitchen that you could pick up and take unless you want CDS and DVDS(everything else is too heavy). if you decide to breakdown my bedroom door however you will have my furious wife who needs her beauty sleep, our am staff, and i waiting for you. good luck
    ruger91

NRA member

Quote Originally Posted by pittypat21 View Post
    Not quite.

It doesn't take a lot of shooting without hearing protection to figure it out. My hearing is fine, and I've shot enough to know which bothers me the most. I've fired one round with my .45 without hearing protection, half a clip (lol just kidding, magazine) from my AR (5.56), and quite a few shotgun rounds.

The one round from my .45 caused me to temporarily lose hearing in my right ear, and ringing in my left ear. Several rounds out of my AR resulted in about 75% temporary hearing loss in my left ear. I can shoot shotguns all day with no impact to my hearing.

Other than the temporary hearing loss at the time of shooting, my hearing is fine - certainly FAR from "badly hammered".
    exactly. yeah something about the pistols smash your ears more than other guns

I have an old $80 pawn shop Stevens 12 ga. that I cut down to 18 1/2 inches. Took out the duck plug and load 5 rounds of 00 goodness. Didn't get one of those pistol grip riot guns--I prefer the shoulder stock. I can maneuver well, but I don't want to go sneaking around in the dark. I would turn on as many lights as I can and make loud noises like, "you're busted, better run! Cops are on their way!" Then I would fort up and wait for the cavalry. Even with training, I think house clearing is better left to the pros. Flashlights in the dark, no matter how bright, to me are bullet magnets. Besides, a home invader and a burglar are two different animals. My security system has a battery back up...

Lol... Your right about the hand gun hurting ur ears more than the shotgun, dont know why but its true.... Best defense weapon for middle of night ? Well your half asleep you really dont want to try and focus your eyes to take aim, things happen quick. A shot gun needs less aiming more like point toward general direction and pull when half asleep...im goin to say shotgun !! I'll let you all weigh it out..... Shotgun or hand gun.

Distinguished Member Array chuckusaret's Avatar
    My go to gun is a shotgun with a XD40 as the backup.

Do you actually believe you would hear the noise/report from any weapon fired when you shoot a burglar ?..
    US Army 1953-1977

‘‘We, the People are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts — not to overthrow the Constitution, but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution.’’
    — Abraham Lincoln

Quote Originally Posted by suntzu View Post
    @OP: Do you know how to move through a house with a firearm? Long gun or pistol? Is your family trained in what to do if a BG enters the house? Regardless of what firearm you use you need to take a training seesion or two on what to do.
    I would try NOT to move through the house. Hunker down in the master bedroom, wife on the phone to the cops, me covering the door and the dogs hopefully chewing on the BGs.
    US Air Force, 1986 - 2007

"To disarm the people is the best and most effective way to enslave them..." George Mason

If you are asking this basic of a question, the last thing you need to be worried about is maneuvering inside of your house with a gun.

People seem to have this idea that they are going to go all Bruce Willis on somebody and clear their house like they are a member of an elite operating unit.

I'd wager that upwards of 90% of DC, self included, does not have the training to do this effectively.

The best gun for your situation is the one with which you can hit a BG from a position of safety having grabbed your loved ones and called the police.

Given the stress of the situation, your likelihood to miss, darkness, sleepyness, adrenaline dump, this is statistically speaking, most likely a shotgun. Covers the most area with a single shot and (arguably) has the most stopping power.
    Alex_C likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Cbuffett556 View Post
    I forget where I saw the tests but the 556/223 rounds will penetrate less layers of household wall material (Sheetrock/air/Sheetrock) than most handgun rounds and shotgun rounds

Maybe at box of truth?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk, please excuse typos.
    Maybe here...

Is .223 the Best Home Defense Caliber? - Guns & Ammo
    "The superior man, when resting in safety, does not forget that danger may come." ~ Confucius

This page made my head hurt. We are getting into some old myths, cliches, and misinformation now. Might need to do some fact checking. Good luck with whatever you choose - may you never need to use it.

Austin

Shotgun with buckshot for me...you are free to choose what you like.
    Equality does not exist in the real world - it is a fiction to help the self esteem of those people who consistently fail to succeed.
    Retired SF(SP) CMSgt 1979-2005

Generic answer: pistol and carbine (AR 15, AK variant, pistol caliber carbine etc.), with a weapon mounted light. Your average flashlight throws off plenty of ambient light to ID a target without pointing your firearm directly at them.

Impossible to answer the question without knowing more. Are you in a rural area? Urban? Apartment? Will more than one person be using the weapon? etc.

* Just about any firearm will penetrate interior walls; some more lethal than others after doing so.

* 5.56 is designed to fragment when hitting flesh, creating vastly more shock and damage when compared to a handgun round.

* Unless you live in a mansion, buckshot will not spread out any appreciable amount.

* If you live somewhere like I do, the police may be 30 minutes away; in which case you may have very good reason to "clear" your house.
    "Hell is truth seen too late."

Senior Moderator
    I now use claymores
    pittypat21 and blanco64 like this.
    “You can sway a thousand men by appealing to their prejudices quicker than you can convince one man by logic.”

― Robert A. Heinlein,

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Links