Better home defense for middle of the night: Shotgun or Handgun? - Page 5

Better home defense for middle of the night: Shotgun or Handgun?

This is a discussion on Better home defense for middle of the night: Shotgun or Handgun? within the Home (And Away From Home) Defense Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Like 45XD above, I keep a handgun in my nghttable, and an AR with an Eotech under the bed. Looking at the set up of ...

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
Like Tree45Likes

Thread: Better home defense for middle of the night: Shotgun or Handgun?

Like 45XD above, I keep a handgun in my nghttable, and an AR with an Eotech under the bed. Looking at the set up of my home, my first choice is the rifle. If I have the time I can take up a very defensible position with a fatal funnel going to my safe-room. The rifle would end any argument immediately. If I do not have the time, that is, the BG has somehow managed to get up to the second floor without me hearing him, and I must react right now, at very close range, ie., ten feet, I go for the handgun. As to rifle ammo, 75gr Hormady TAP FPD.
    Best way to win a gun fight? "That's easy, don't show up."
    --Wyatt Earp

"Fast is fine, but accuracy is everything."
    -- Wyatt Earp

Quote Originally Posted by AdBro View Post
    why would i damage my ears? i've fired shotguns and handguns without ear protection before. usually it's by accident, sometimes it's while duck hunting and i realize i left my ear protection in my chair as ducks are flying by and say 'screw it". it rings but hasn't DAMAGED my hearing. also, like i said, handguns seem to be way louder than shotguns (at least to me)
    Hearing damage is cumulative. Every really loud sound does a little bit of damage, whether you notice it or not. Trust me when I say, some day the ringing in your ears will NOT go away. I speak from experience.

Cheers,
    Tom
    Truckinbutch likes this.

My house has a open floor plan longest. I would take a shotgun all day long.

Better home defense for middle of the night: Shotgun or Handgun?

I think like one poster said, layout of your house is important. My bedroom is one one end of the house, right by the back door, and the boy's room is on the other end of the house. Unless someone come through my steel back door, any other point of forced entry would be between my self and a sleeping child. This is why have scatter rounds in my judge. Less chance of wall penetration, should u ever have to engage. I also keep a very bright tac light in that micro vault with the judge. Stumbling in the dark to investigate a strange noise with a loaded gun is a very bad idea. Just MHO and 2 cents....

If you have time to choose tactical weapons and don protective gear when startled awake in the middle of the night you have :
    1>Not been placed in harm's way ; or
    2>You just came in second place winner in a gun fight !
    Firing any firearm without ear protection causes cumulative damage . Protect your ears when you can during practice .
    Discharging any arm in a confined space is going to be extremely loud and will damage your ears . You can even see shock waves distorting the air in daylight .
    This will not matter in a critical situation . Personal safety can not be a concern when production is the goal .
    The arm that you can grab the quickest is going to be dictated by the circumstances and you fight with what you have .

I decided to use my pistol for a primary that is I keep my pistol very close to me(on my night stand or under pillow) this is to fight me to my defensive shotgun which is a 10ga coach gun stoked with 31/2 in bbb

Re: Better home defense for middle of the night: Shotgun or Handgun?

Shotgun, handgun, middle of the night, don't matter. What you need is a barking alarm to let you know that a gun may be in order.

The problem with the world is grown-ups behaving like unsupervised children.
    There is a solution but we are not Jedi... not yet.
    Doghandler

I like the suggestion of adding hearing protection to your home defense quick reaction gear. Since doing so, I've changed my plans for reacting to nightime home invasion by first deploying a flash-bang grenade then finishing them off with my P220.

Shotgun with buckshot. Spray and Pray!

Another reason is the sound of loading a round in the chamber. Everyone knows what the sound is when the action is worked. CHET-CHUT. If I heard that I would reconsider what I was attempting.
    ALWAYS CARRY - NEVER TELL

NRA MEMBER
    GOA MEMBER

Friend of Bill

Re: Better home defense for middle of the night: Shotgun or Handgun?

Quote Originally Posted by NCSoxFan View Post
    I like the suggestion of adding hearing protection to your home defense quick reaction gear. Since doing so, I've changed my plans for reacting to nightime home invasion by first deploying a flash-bang grenade then finishing them off with my P220.
    So you're the one that set the whole neighborhood into a barking frenzy in the middle of the night. :p

The problem with the world is grown-ups behaving like unsupervised children.
    There is a solution but we are not Jedi... not yet.
    Doghandler

The confined space inside your home will magnify the sound greatly. However, when the unthinkable happens, who cares about loud noise? You may worry about it a day later, but not at "the moment". I bunker in our bedroom with the .38 and the 12ga. Hmmm. Now that I think about it, I don't have any hearing protection next to the bed either. Maybe I'll ask my wife to stick her fingers in my ears.

Quote Originally Posted by RKflorida View Post
    The confined space inside your home will magnify the sound greatly. However, when the unthinkable happens, who cares about loud noise? You may worry about it a day later, but not at "the moment". I bunker in our bedroom with the .38 and the 12ga. Hmmm. Now that I think about it, I don't have any hearing protection next to the bed either. Maybe I'll ask my wife to stick her fingers in my ears.
    Best make sure she has a solid background in anatomy
    Rawah likes this.

If you come at me with a your hands/knife/pistol/revolver and i get to have a shotgun...i will be very happy !!

I have alarms on my doors downstairs now...the second i hear those go off, I'm having the misses call 911 and we are sitting on side of bed away from the closed bedroom door with sights set on it.

I'd assume loud alarm and barking dog would make anyone retreat right away though.

Distinguished Member Array GlassWolf's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by AdBro View Post
    While a shotgun has more stopping power, it's not as easy to keep it close to your bed when you're sleeping compared to a handgun. Also, maneuvering corners is more difficult with a shotgun and you can't hold a flashlight or open doors as easily with a shotgun.

These lead me to think a handgun is probably a better option.

That being said; handguns seem to make my ears ring more when not wearing ear protection...shotguns don't seem to bother my ears as much. Some people say that carpeting, furniture, etc in houses absorb a lot of sound when a shot is fired. Since I have never fired in a home, I'm not certain how much this helps...thoughts?
    Shotgun. Period. If you're worried about scatter, use slugs.
    I am free because I know that I alone am morally responsible for everything I do. I am free, no matter what rules surround me. If I find them tolerable, I tolerate them; if I find them too obnoxious, I break them. I am free because I know that I alone am morally responsible for everything I do.

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Links