Better home defense for middle of the night: Shotgun or Handgun?

This is a discussion on Better home defense for middle of the night: Shotgun or Handgun? within the Home (And Away From Home) Defense Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Originally Posted by DocT65 Shotgun, hands down. Use a quality LE load. There ya go, that's the ticket....

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 234567 LastLast
Like Tree45Likes

Thread: Better home defense for middle of the night: Shotgun or Handgun?

Senior Member Array rugergunner's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by DocT65 View Post
    Shotgun, hands down. Use a quality LE load.
    There ya go, that's the ticket.
    I would rather die on my feet, than to live on my knees.

2. Remove Ads

pistol hands down hold it close and pie your corners with a shotgun the barrel will cross the door way before you do giving your opponent the advantage if they are armed to have their gun aimed in your direction or to grab the gun away from you and leave you unarmed looking down the barrel of your own gun I am a military police officer im trained to clear rooms with both but if I have to choice id go with hand gun hands down just my opinion just use hp for hd

Well, I accidently happened on this site and read the thread with some interest. i have a 40 cal Sig and a 9mm sig. The 40 is only 7 shot and i keep in the car. For home defenseI use the 9mm with 15 road mags. But i recently added a red laser sight. no aiming, just point red dot and fire. Most people, BG included, have seen enough movie to know what the red dot means. Also, I did some research and found that green lasers can be 'traced' back to the source, just follow the beam. Red, on the other hand, unless there is dust or smoke, cannot be traced. I figure with the 15 roundas and laser, I have a darn good chance. And yes, since i live in the country on five wooded acres, i just stick a target on a tree and practice regularly, and i have sighted in the laser. Highly recommend it!!

Quote Originally Posted by AdBro View Post
    None of the above.

First line of home defense in the middle of the night are these.....

2DanesCouch.jpg

Then it's a handgun, specifically a snub nose revolver.

Reasoning for the revolver......

#1 Because I carry it on me most of the time.
    #2 I have many 100's of rounds through it so it feels like part of my hand.
    #3 I know it will go flash/bang 5 times in a row without any chance of FTF/FTE.

Each person/scenario are somewhat unique to the person.

Being comfortable in a stressful situation is what will give you the biggest advantage.

Both. Pistol with light on the nightstand. 870 in the closet. Pistol is grabbed first, shotgun is grabbed if there is time.

No need for me to clear anything since I live alone. 12ga is for turning the hallway into a place no one wants to be.
    CharlesMorri likes this.
    "It is your evil that will be sought by us. With every breath we will hunt them down. Each day we will spill their blood, until it rains down from the skies. Do not kill. Do not rape. Do not steal. These are principles that every man from every faith can embrace." -McManus twins Boondock Saints

I like the handgun since its always on me.

The rifle and shotgun are equally good to have but hard to really carry around. A rifle is a good choice if there is a higher density of people since overpenetration with hollow point 223 is not as bad as a 12 gauge slug. 12 gauge slugs are not bad in a rural setting, but the kick is something that takes practice. I personally prefer a 12 gauge 00 buck in a pump shotgun. It won't misfeed, but you might short stroke it.

In the end, the best one is the one that you've mastered.
    NRA, Lifetime Member

Well,i can top most on here.My other half has a yorkie,so i'm good,lol.He will bark,if someone comes to door.Like several,i would use my 870,unless i needed to get my gun quicker.My wife,put a small lamp,in the corner of the den,and leaves it on at night.The light doesn't shine in our room.If it makes her feel any better,what the hell.A few yrs ago,my car was stolen,but we have never had a break-in thankfully.

i use either. my glock 23 stays in my night stand with a 22 round clip in it and rem 870 in the closet with 6 shots loaded 6 more in sidesaddle. i will most likely hold up in my room with fiance and daughter. im not waiting for cops to come i wont even call them till after i have everything under control. not gona give my position away by talking on phone. but hey thats just me

Quote Originally Posted by gregnsc View Post
    Well,i can top most on here.My other half has a yorkie,so i'm good,lol.
    We have one of those also.......

Reno_Dane.jpg

...unfortunately our Yorkie is 17 years old, deaf and pretty much blind.

He was at one time king of the house, even over the Great Danes.

He now sleeps about 23 hours of the day.

Shotgun, hands down. I do have a pistol on my nightstand.

Scott

I choose the handgun, mostly because of the dogs in the house. Less of a chance hitting them with a handgun.

...no worry about hitting my dogs...they'll be up in the bed with Mama...cheering me on...
    Quote Originally Posted by bsmith6470 View Post
    I choose the handgun, mostly because of the dogs in the house. Less of a chance hitting them with a handgun.
    bklynboy and novaX522 like this.

Distinguished Member Array Exacto's Avatar
    It would depend on wheather your strategy for home defense includes a safe room or not. If you have a safe room to retreat to, I would prefer to defend the entry to that room with a shot gun. It is not a good idea to go looking through the house for the BG if he is in fact in your house. I know there are some cases where you have to, for example if you have family in another part of the house and you need to make sure they are ok, but in general it's better to have a safe room, have a plan that includes the whole family, get in that safe room and call 911 and defend from there. Your safe room should include a flashlight, cell phone, cover, and of course a gun. One way in, covered by a 12 gauge loaded with 00 buck, and just for good measure, an AR just for backup. Also it is agood idea to have more than one person trained to shoot just in case you are taken out of the fight, there is still a defense.
    Let your plans be dark and impenetrable as night, and when you move, fall like a thunder bolt...... Sun Tzu.

The supreme art of war is to defeat the enemy without fighting........ Sun Tzu.

I keep a pair of electronic ear muffs on my bed headboard. If I have a chance I will put them on. They increase your hearing & give you a hearing advantage. Use every advantage you can get.

Pistol, knife, & flashlight on a throw over the shoulder wilderness safe packer holster.

Quote Originally Posted by AdBro View Post
    While a shotgun has more stopping power, it's not as easy to keep it close to your bed when you're sleeping compared to a handgun. Also, maneuvering corners is more difficult with a shotgun and you can't hold a flashlight or open doors as easily with a shotgun.
    My home defense plan is not to go cruising through my home like SWAT, strobing my flashlight and busting through doors. It is to blockade myself in my bedroom and call 911, while keeping my shotgun aimed at the door. Anything that comes through gets 1+ rounds of 00 buck to the face. That way, I have all the advantages of ambush that I would otherwise forfeit if I played Johnny Rambo and stalked through my house looking for punks to gun down.

Not easy to keep close to the bed? What? I've kept my shotgun right next to my bed for the best part of 10 years with no problems.

But to be honest, there's no "correct" firearm for HD. It's whatever you have that you are most proficient with, and that you feel most comfortable using in that role.

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 234567 LastLast

Links