What kind of dog do you own? Are they a good watch/guard dog? - Page 10

What kind of dog do you own? Are they a good watch/guard dog?

This is a discussion on What kind of dog do you own? Are they a good watch/guard dog? within the Home (And Away From Home) Defense Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Originally Posted by SayVandelay I honestly dont even want my dog going after an intruder. She barks and comes to get me, but beyond that ...

Page 10 of 31 FirstFirst ... 6789101112131420 ... LastLast
Like Tree333Likes

Thread: What kind of dog do you own? Are they a good watch/guard dog?

Quote Originally Posted by SayVandelay View Post
    I honestly dont even want my dog going after an intruder. She barks and comes to get me, but beyond that I dont want her getting hurt either
    my thoughts too. i want her to growl, bark, wake me up. i'd be devastated if she ran down there and got kicked or shot.
    rottkeeper likes this.

Dont let her relaxed state fool you. I dont know what she would do by herself but when her mama and I are home, I have seen her hair raise on her back and a bark you cant ignore go out. I pay attention when that happens. If you are just walking by, we get a loud bark without all the emphasis. It is her way of letting you know she is there. I can usually ignore that one. I dont think she would "attack" though.
    Attached Images
    The 1911 is an antiquated weapons system but then again, so am I.
    Retired SF(SP) CMSgt 1979-2005

What kind of dog do you own? Are they a good watch/guard dog?

I have two, a Lab and a German Shepherd. The lab would help you rob the house if you carry dog treats (or anything edible). The German Shepherd would do you some major damage if you weren't invited in.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1355194258.685635.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1355194288.957840.jpg

This is the day we brought the new one home to meet the older lady. She was not happy with us. She's 5 in this picture (8 now).

100_6409.JPG

Maren (8/f) doesn't pose well for pictures anymore, but Brecken (3/m) loves them. This is him this past summer. He's a monster. According to the breed standard, male boykins should be between 30 and 40 pounds. He's 45 pounds of pure athleticism. Maren, who is a typical sized female, can literally walk underneath him. I was in contact with the breeder a year or so after we got him and she said his sister was the biggest Boykin she had ever seen: 47 pounds!

100_1307.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by C hawk Glock View Post
    Seems like 90% of you have barkers and lickers. If only most of you took your dogs as serious as your firearms.
    Well, I'd invite you to come try your luck. Preforably when I'm home so that I can watch!
    But no really, the dogs are family too. Barking is really all that I expect out of them, anything else is above and beyond what I require. They are the first alert system, I am the firepower.

Having large growling balls of fur has PREVENTED several situations from escalating to biting or firepower, and thus avoided any legal hassle on my part. Bad guy fled, we went home safe, happy ending in my book.

I live in a somewhat shady neighborhood, but the typical criminal is no pro, just a "kid" looking for an easy score. Large dogs are a good deterrent against those simply looking for easy. Most of my neighbors are afraid of my Lab just coz he's big, and scarry by mere reputation is good enough in my situation, but like I said, you're welcome to test your luck. I warn you, practically everything I own came from Goodwill and isn't valuable, except my EDC and iphone which are on me. You'd be disappointed if you broke in while I was out.
    I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people and I expect the same from them. -- John Wayne as John B. Books in "The Shootist"

Quote Originally Posted by C hawk Glock View Post
    Seems like 90% of you have barkers and lickers. If only most of you took your dogs as serious as your firearms.
    When I'm home, the dogs just let me know we have company. When I'm not home, I've been told, "all I could see was hair and teeth".

The more people I run across, the more I like my dogs

Rico... Boxer/Pit mix, and Luka... Shepherd/Husky mix

If only most of you took your dogs as serious as your firearms
    ...and your information source, sir?
    Skate and ClutchSR9C like this.
    NRA Life Member ... Marine Corps League Life Member
    Freedom has a flavor the protected can never taste...
    USMC 8652, 2531, RVN Jun '67, - May 69

Some of my toys....

Quote Originally Posted by usmcj View Post
    When I'm home, the dogs just let me know we have company. When I'm not home, I've been told, "all I could see was hair and teeth".

The more people I run across, the more I like my dogs

Rico... Boxer/Pit mix, and Luka... Shepherd/Husky mix

...and your information source, sir?
    Beautiful dogs.
    For as the lightning comes from the east and flashes to the west, so also will the coming of the son of man be. Mathew 24:27

NRA Member

I have a Sheltie. Stray cats or dogs in the yard usually gets a bark out of him in the middle of the night. I get up, grab flashlight and pistol and check the immediate area for 2-legged predators through the windows and if clear I'll let him out and scan the yard for the culprit. By this time the cat is over the fence and Dexter has to go on with his bad self.

You might find this annoying and sometimes I do to. But a few years ago we lived next to a vacant rental house. Middle if the night I hear him bark. I get up and look in the backyard (no bedside light, pistol in safe), I see a couple of kids hop over a fence in the yard across the street, didn't think much of it. Cars are in the garage and doors are secure. Went back to bed. A short time later Dexter barks again. I get up don't see anything and head back to bed. As I'm walking by I see something odd in the basement of the vacant rental house next door. It appears there is a light on in the basement, then I see shadows, and wait a minute that light sure is flickering. Oh crap it's on fire and there are people inside. Call 911.

Long story short, a couple of former tenants broke in and set the place on fire. They ran after the police and FD got there and were later caught. The fire got going pretty good and flames were coming out of the side of the house closest to mine. Distance between houses, picture a midsize sedan with one front door open. I hate to think what may have happened to my house had I not called the FD when I did. Good dog! I don't see him taking on a grown man and winning but I think he'd try real hard. I take comfort in the fact that he'll just alert me if something is up. He's getting old and I'm not looking forward to that day.
    NRA Life Member

With great power comes great responsibility.-Stan Lee

Thank you sir... the Rotts in your avatar are impressive as well.
    rottkeeper likes this.

Some of my toys....

Joker... kudos to you and Dexter...

I rarely have to get up any more at night... Listening to the "bark" will tell us who/what is outside....

Some of my toys....

yeah those are beautiful mixes

Re: What kind of dog do you own? Are they a good watch/guard dog?

I've got a Brittany. He's a good guard dog but not in the traditional sense. He lets us know that someone's approaching the house by getting really excited and whiney, which is different from his bark when people walk by.

www.getcorded.com

Quote Originally Posted by BWBracelets View Post

I've got a Brittany. He's a good guard dog but not in the traditional sense. He lets us know that someone's approaching the house by getting really excited and whiney, which is different from his bark when people walk by.
    Nice looking Brittany, sir.....

It's important (my opinion) to really pay attention to your dogs. They'll most often tell you quite a bit... you just have to pay attention, and listen... ... for example.. "I said, it's time to go out"....

Some of my toys....

85 lbs pure black German Shepard. Great family pet. Very Territorial. Happy go lucky when with the family out in the front yard or at the park and would not hurt a fly. Very friendly. If someone enters the yard or knocks on the door when we are in the house, very aggressive barking and growling. Only relents when I tell him to relax. When we are not at home (based on neighbors), extremely territorial even to people he has been introduced to. Very aggressive to anyone that come close to the house or the yard/back fence.

I have had our pest control person enter the back yard when we were not home and the dog was in the back yard (luckily on the other side). The dog aggressively charged him. The guy exited the yard as fast as he could dropping all of his equipment and slamming the gate shut just before the dog got to him. The dog rammed the gate barking, growly and the hair on his back standing straight up. Attacked his equipment, and would not relent. The pest control guy was on our drive way when we returned home still shaking from the encounter. I retrieved his equipment, apologized and from now on, the pest control calls to make sure we are home belofre the come out.

I think he would protect the family given the situation of a late night or day encounter whaether we are home or not. He will definetly give me enough time to do what I need to do.
    No trees were harmed in the construction of this post. However a large number of electrons were indiscriminately aroused.

Quote Originally Posted by AdBro View Post
    i do, my dog is just for being a family member and to be a loving soul around the house first and foremost. here's my boxer:

Beautiful boxer. I will be bringing home a new male boxer puppy next month when he hits 8 weeks.

Page 10 of 31 FirstFirst ... 6789101112131420 ... LastLast

Sponsored Links