What kind of dog do you own? Are they a good watch/guard dog?

This is a discussion on What kind of dog do you own? Are they a good watch/guard dog? within the Home (And Away From Home) Defense Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Here's our dog, he goes by the name of Jackson and is pretty low key, but at 75 pounds he can be a handful when ...

Page 11 of 28 FirstFirst ... 78910111213141521 ... LastLast
Like Tree243Likes

Thread: What kind of dog do you own? Are they a good watch/guard dog?

Here's our Basset Hound:

Here's our dog, he goes by the name of Jackson and is pretty low key, but at 75 pounds he can be a handful when he is in his protective mode:

Jackson Relaxing.jpg
    OD* and Jeanlouise like this.
    If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.
    - Dalai Lama, Tibet

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by SCXDm9 View Post
    So he is a Tactical Dane?

Sent from my DROID4 using Tapatalk 2

^^Probably a ^^^^^^^^^^^

NINJA Dane!
    If you want to make God laugh, tell him your plans.

Washington didn't use his freedom of speech to defeat the British, He shot them!

Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it whether it exists or not, diagnosing it incorrectly, and applying the wrong remedy." -- Ernest Benn

I have a 1.5 year old Weimaranier, she is VERY alert and always has been. She seems to be an excellent job of character, wagging at kids and old ladies on the street but becoming very standoffish around particular people. I don't know how but dogs seems to tell what kind of person someone is. Although I don't know if she would ever attack anyone the few times we've had friends come in without her knowing she has done a great job barking loudly and staying between my girlfriend and intruder, not letting them get near until we assure her it's ok.

I have a 1 1/2 year old Bernese Mountain Dog. At about 100 lbs, primarily black and extremely fluffy, she presents a very intimidating force. She has a loud, booming bark and a very deep gutteral growl. The pizza guys always step back off the porch when she goes off.

A friend came over with her three kids once, Sambuca barked and growled at my friend, but simply sniffed the kids and let them into the house. When my friend reached out to pet Sambuca, she stepped out of reach and continued to bark and did not want to let her walk further into the house. I had to have her sit down and feed the dog treats to get her to calm down. After an hour or so, they were best friends.

One time, a door to door salesman came to the house, peddling his wares. Everytime he tried to speak, Sambuca would start barking, and stop when he stopped. As soon as he opened his mouth again she would start barking again. I got a good laugh out of it cause the salesman could not get a word in over my dog!

One thing I found discouraging, I came home late one night, my wife and son were asleep. Sambuca was asleep in the master bathroom (her favorite sleeping spot) I opened the garage, entered the house and walked into the master bedroom. All I got from her was a low level woof when I opened the bedroom door nd she got up to greet me.

I like that she is alert to anyone who comes near the house when we are up. I also like that she retreats when confronted by strangers and does not attempt to mouth or bite. I need to learn how to train her to stop barking once I get to the door.

I am a big dog lover, but am nervous around German Sheperds because I have been bitten twice by two GSD's. (one jumped out of an open car window to attack me for (unknowingly) getting too close

OD* likes this.

carolina dog, yes thats a real breed, Carolina Dogs, you wont get with in 50 feet of the house, he can smell anything and EVERYTHING, very protective and Pack oriented, our second one, you can't out run one or out think him. Read their history then you'll understand why for over a 150, years they survived on their own, YES Iam proud of my Partner.,
    Last edited by OD*; December 12th, 2012 at 09:49 AM. Reason: Repair link

2 miniature Doberman pinchers, black lab and blue healer mix all 4 are very alert. First sign of trouble min pins will run up stairs and bark about it. Black lab will bark and try to lick them to death. But if I was aggressive tords someone i think she would be too. Blue healef will run to them and hope for treat. Two big dogs run the woods all the time and are always draging up animals they have killed coons, groundhogs and even a couple of fawns. I take them into woods with me when ever i can. I feel safe with them at my side. I think if it came down to it two big dogs would protect me if i couldn't do it myself.

Quote Originally Posted by Nicegy525 View Post

One thing I found discouraging, I came home late one night, my wife and son were asleep. Sambuca was asleep in the master bathroom (her favorite sleeping spot) I opened the garage, entered the house and walked into the master bedroom. All I got from her was a low level woof when I opened the bedroom door nd she got up to greet me.
    I don't find that discouraging at all. Dog's hearing is so much more sensitive than ours, we only "think" we recognize the sound of ours/our partner's engine or car door. My dogs if they are outside, make excited yips when either of us come home, but when I come home after work late after bedtime, they don't make a sound. I know they recognize the sound of my truck from halfway down the street. My truck door also has a pretty distinctive sound that even I could pick out of a crowd.
    Try coming home in somebody else's vehicle, my dogs didn't recognize me when I borrowed my mother in law's car, until I got out anyway.
    My Chow once alerted us from inside the house, inside her crate, to a trespasser on foot in the yard - no knocking, not even on the porch, and no vehicle sounds. I kinda wonder if she smelled him!!
    Rock and Glock likes this.
    I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people and I expect the same from them. -- John Wayne as John B. Books in "The Shootist"

What kind of dog do you own? Are they a good watch/guard dog?

My dog max about 5 months ago, and last pic about two weeks ago.
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1355307709.191020.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1355307728.415401.jpg

Byob and take a sit on the couch

But my other dog sparkey barks at the windImageUploadedByTapatalk1355307850.302063.jpg

Distinguished Member
    Here's my guard dog. Scary huh?In bed DS.jpg
    OD*, Cokeman and Dennis1209 like this.
    It may be that your sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeanlouise View Post
    Here's my guard dog. Scary huh?
    Love, loyalty, and trust, need not exist in a scary package. Dogs don't know how big or small they are. It's not uncommon at all for the smallest dog in the pack to be the alpha.

Good-lookin' Terrier.....
    Jeanlouise likes this.
    NRA Life Member ... Marine Corps League Life Member
    Freedom has a flavor the protected can never taste...
    USMC 8652, 2531, RVN Jun '67, - May 69

Some of my toys....

I'd forgotten I had this.... it's pretty accurate, as well as good for a grin....

For dog...pet owners...
    FOR THOSE OF YOU WHO HAVE PETS, THIS IS A TRUE STORY.

FOR THOSE THAT DON'T, IT’S ALSO A TRUE STORY.

The following was found posted very low on a refrigerator door.

Dear Dogs and Cats: The dishes on the floor with the paw prints are yours and contain your food.

The other dishes are mine and contain my food.

Placing a paw print in the middle of my plate does not mean that is suddenly your food, nor do I find that aesthetically pleasing in the slightest.

The stairway was not designed by NASCAR and is not a racetrack. Racing me to the top of the stairs is not the object. Tripping me doesn't help because I fall faster than you can run.

I cannot buy anything bigger than a king sized bed. I am very sorry about this.

Do not think I will continue sleeping on the couch to ensure your comfort. Dogs and cats can actually curl up in a ball when they sleep.

It Is not necessary to sleep perpendicular to each other, stretched out to the fullest extent possible. I also know that sticking tails straight out and having tongues hanging out on the other end to maximize space that you are taking up, is nothing but sarcasm.

For the last time, there is no secret exit from the bathroom! If, by some miracle, I beat you there and manage to get the door shut, it is not necessary to claw, whine, meow, try to turn the knob or get your paw under the edge in an attempt to open the door. I must exit through the same door I entered. Also, I have been using the bathroom for years - canine/feline attendance is not required.

The proper order for kissing is: Kiss me first, then go smell the other dog or cat's butt. I cannot stress this enough.

Finally, in fairness, dear pets, I have posted the following message on the front door:

TO ALL NON-PET OWNERS WHO VISIT AND COMPLAIN
    (1) They live here....you don't.

(2) If you don't want their hair on your clothes, stay off the furniture. That's why they call it
    “fur”-niture.

(3) I like my pets a lot better than I like most people. Deal with it.

(4) To you, they are animals. To me, they are adopted sons/daughters who are short, hairy, walk on all fours and don't speak clearly.

Remember, dogs and cats are better than kids because they:

(1) eat less,

(2) don't ask for money all the time,

(3) are easier to train,

(4) normally come when called,

(5) never ask to drive the car,

(6) don't hang out with drug-using people;

(7) don't smoke or drink,

(8) don't want to wear your clothes,

(9) don't have to buy the latest fashions,

(10) don't need a gazillion dollars for college

and.......

(11) if they get pregnant, you can sell their children.....
    Jeanlouise and Jaybm like this.

Some of my toys....

....and a follow up....

Dog Ten Commandments Author: Stan Rawlinson

Dog Ten Commandments

1. My life is likely to last 10 to 15 years. Any separation from you will be painful.
    Remember that before you get me.

2. Give me time to understand what you want of me.

3. Place your trust in me- it is crucial to my well being.

4. Do not be angry at me for long, and do not lock me up as punishment,
    I can't understand why, I just know I've been rejected.

5. You have your work, your entertainment,and your friends.
    I only have you.

6. Talk to me sometimes. Even if I don't understands your words,
    I understand your tone when you are speaking to me.

7. Be very aware that how ever you treat me, I will never forget.

8. Remember before you hit me that I have teeth that could
    easily crush your bones, but I choose not to bite you because I
    love you.

9. Before you scold me for being uncooperative,obstinate,or lazy,
    ask yourself if something might be bothering me. Perhaps I
    might not be getting the right food, or I have been out to
    long, or my heart is getting to old and weak.

10. Take care of me when I get old; you too will grow old. Go
    with me on difficult journeys.

Never say: "I cannot bear to
    watch" or "Let it happen in my absence." Everything
    is easier for me if you are there, even my death.
    Remember that I love you.

10 Commandments for Dogs | Doglistener

now I'm done... I promise.... for now.

Some of my toys....

OD*
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeanlouise View Post
    Here's my guard dog. Scary huh?In bed DS.jpg
    Those are the ones you have to watch-out for!
    "The pistol, learn it well, carry it always ..." ~ Jeff Cooper

"Diligentia Vis Celeritas"

"There is very little new, and the forgotten is constantly being rediscovered."
    ~ Tiger McKee

Distinguished Member
    Quote Originally Posted by OD* View Post
    Those are the ones you have to watch-out for!
    Despite the fact he's wearing pajamas, he can bark up a storm when an unknown comes to the door. If he hears my car he goes crazy whimpering. Dogs just know.
    It may be that your sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.

My dogs are two dachsunds. Great watchdogs- they don't even like a bird coming in the yard and will bark their heads off at it. If someone broke into the house, the female would probably try to lick them to death. If the male didn't know the person, i"m pretty sure he would bite them, especially if I was in the house. I am definitely his person!

Page 11 of 28 FirstFirst ... 78910111213141521 ... LastLast

Links