What kind of dog do you own? Are they a good watch/guard dog?

This is a discussion on What kind of dog do you own? Are they a good watch/guard dog? within the Home (And Away From Home) Defense Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Mine's a pit/american bulldog/basset mix, and heavens no! He's a terrible guard dog! He wants to be everyone's friend. His tail could cause a few ...

Page 12 of 28 FirstFirst ... 2891011121314151622 ... LastLast
Like Tree243Likes

Thread: What kind of dog do you own? Are they a good watch/guard dog?

Distinguished Member
    Mine's a pit/american bulldog/basset mix, and heavens no! He's a terrible guard dog! He wants to be everyone's friend. His tail could cause a few lacerations, though.

2. Remove Ads

I have a Redbone Coonhound mix, 3 years old named Juneau. Best dog I've owned. Obedient and loyal. If you come to my door and I didn't meet you there...be thankful the door is between you and Juneau. If you tried to come in without me opening the door, you are going to lose a limb. If I let you in my house, he'll love you like a member of the house. GREAT guard dog. He's also great with kids!

P3170191.JPG
    scgunlover1 and daddysgirl like this.
    Sejune
    Glock 30 .45
    Springfield XD 9

Got a 80 lb male black Lab and 20 lb female Jack Russell Terrier. Both are great watch dogs but lousy guard dogs. They both will bark at ANYTHING out of the ordinary but wouldn't hurt a mouse (especially the Lab) unless they stepped on it.
    Attached Images
    "... Americans... we want a safe home, to keep the money we make and shoot bad guys." -- Denny Crane

Senior Member Array CowboyColby's Avatar
    I have two cow dogs (blue heeler and kelpie) and that is there there primary job. However my blue heeler has become a little stoved up and can no longer jump in the back of the pickup so I have done more home protection type work with him. I believe every dog needs a job so this has become his. I can lay in bed and make him clear every room in the house. If there is a noise outside and can send him out and he will let me know if something is out there. My kelpie hates being sociable so he goes and hides but if someone comes by in the dark he growls and barks (hasn't bitten). My blue heeler is fine with people but absolutely will not allow them in my room. He will sit at my bedroom door and growl at anybody that comes down the hall. He does this if I am home or not. I had my sister go to my house to get something from my room and he would not let her in my room.

I have also recently gotten a Jack Russel Terrior named Pistol and that she is. She is the perfect alarm and goes to through the house to check out any unknown sounds. My heeler hates her but if someone gets rough with her he warns them to stop.

Dogs are truely amazing animals and I for one like them much better than people. Nothing is 100% effective but you may be surprised what your dog may or may not do when a situation arrises.

My dogs know the "get em" command from working cattle and the JRT from playing fetch. So anytime a car drives into my yard or someone knocks at the door I always say get em and they run to the door and bark. Over time they will begin to do this on their own with out command. This may not be for everyone as I have very few visitors and very few vehicles coming in my yard but I want my dogs to alert me everytime someone comes in my drive way or to my door. Pretty soon they will do it as soon as they know someone is outside with out being told or with out hearing a knock at the door.

How I trained my heeler to clear the house was to start small and stand beside a small room or bathroom and tell him to "get em" he would run into the room search around find out there is nothing to get and come back to me and I would reward him by petting him and telling him good job for looking. After doing reach room a few times I was able to lay in bed and tell him to "get em" and he would go through out the house searching and return upon finding nothing and I would again reward him. Just so he wouldn't get complacent I've had friends hide in my house upon coming home and make him go find them. I will also from time to time put a coyote caller in a room with the volume barely audible and not reward them until they responded to the sound, found it, and barked or growled to let me know something is there.

Like I mentioned earlier I believe every dog needs a job. My kelpie is now my main working cow dog, my heeler home protection and minimal cow work as long as he doesn't have to travel very far, and my JRT herds the chickens in every night and retrieves doves for me during dove season.
    Rock and Glock likes this.

Senior Member Array CowboyColby's Avatar

Re: What kind of dog do you own? Are they a good watch/guard dog?

This is from almost a year ago when I got the JRT

Sent from my ADR6350 using Tapatalk 2
    Attached Images
    daddysgirl likes this.

I have a catahoula mix (pictured in my avatar) that was a rescue. Although he is fairly sociable with anyone I am comfortable around, I know from experience that he will bite someone who is a threat. He doesn't particularly love children (including ours), but he tolerates them very well (I wouldn't accept anything less from him), checks their room at night and would defend them to the end. He is very attached to me..... ok, he's a bit obsessive about sticking by my side, but he's a great dog and puts up with anything I ask of him. We also have a miniature schnauzer. She makes a great alarm (barks at anything that is "not right"), but would offer up anything to anybody who would pet her!

Bonnie is part border collie and part GSD.

Too smart for her own good. Loving and loyal. She will bark at anyone coming close the house night or day. I really doubt she would bite someone as she is pretty skittish. But as with all dogs you don't really know
    until they are cornered.
    Rock and Glock likes this.
    "Only the Sith deal in absolutes."

"My dog is smarter than your honor student."

We have a 4 yr old Boxer, quite protective & good dog..

I own a 110lbs bully pit and a 95lbs dogo argentino. Both I have taken hog hunting before so their guard/alertness skills are good. I feel that theie good dogs, around the little bit I'm always aware when they are around and the bully pit hates all other dogs unless they are bay dogs. The dogo is by far the most protectice, she can sense someone walking past the house and immdediatly starts barking. I feel confident that if I let them go they will take care off the situation before I get down stairs.

I have a lab mix that is very energetic. He barks at some noises, but not sure if he'd attack. He's very friendly to strangers when we are NOT in danger, but who knows.

Quote Originally Posted by ballfroguy View Post
    I own a 110lbs bully pit and a 95lbs dogo argentino. Both I have taken hog hunting before so their guard/alertness skills are good. I feel that theie good dogs, around the little bit I'm always aware when they are around and the bully pit hates all other dogs unless they are bay dogs. The dogo is by far the most protectice, she can sense someone walking past the house and immdediatly starts barking. I feel confident that if I let them go they will take care off the situation before I get down stairs.
    Pics?
    Glock 23 - CZ 452 ZKM Special
    Walther P22 - LMT STD 16
    Mossberg 500A - Kahr P380
    Henry H001Y - Winchester 12
    Smith & Wesson M&P Shield
    Mossberg 500B - Marlin 336Y

RKM
    Recently had to put down our GSD, Luke this past March. He was over 115lbs of pure love. He'd bark, but wasn't much of an attack dog. He'd run away when approached by a stranger. And then hide and bark while hiding. Our other dog, and currently, only dog is mix of god knows what. He was a stray dog from Iraq (long story). He weighs around 75-80lbs. He barks at everything. Even me when I come home. He's a bit more vicious and intimating, but VERY affectionate. Jumps up on my lap almost everyday when I get home, after he's done barking at me. He's makes for a good "alarm" system, but I'm not sure if he'd actually do anything, other than bark. I don't rely on him to take care of anything, other than to alert me of something... such as squirrels in the back yard, or the neighbors dog. He's alerts me of that very often.

Quote Originally Posted by Cokeman View Post
    Pics?
    Big man on campus
    18867_301626470886_4332944_n.jpg

Dogo gettin ready to hunt
    180752_201133356570664_5831869_n.jpg

Awesome dogs.
    Glock 23 - CZ 452 ZKM Special
    Walther P22 - LMT STD 16
    Mossberg 500A - Kahr P380
    Henry H001Y - Winchester 12
    Smith & Wesson M&P Shield
    Mossberg 500B - Marlin 336Y

We have a mutt with more breeds in the mix than I can keep track of. Probably the best dog we could ever have. Extremely protective of the family, especially the kids. Does not let ANYBODY come in unless he has been introduced to them by me or my wife. If there is a noise outside at night he sound off until we unlock the door for him to pursue. Very determined dog too, he doesn't give up. If he latches on to something / somebody, he owns it. He also during the day lets himself out as long as the door is not locked. He actually learned to open door knobs with his mouth. I do have to remind him to close the door behind him though. In spite of being strong and protective he is amazingly gentle and tolerant of the kids even when they push the limits more than they should.

Buster is both a member of the family and has the lead role in our home security. While certain breeds may be more apt to be a guard / watch dog, I really think it has more to do with their upbringing and training as well as the individual dog's temperament.
    Truckinbutch likes this.

Links