What kind of dog do you own? Are they a good watch/guard dog?

This is a discussion on What kind of dog do you own? Are they a good watch/guard dog? within the Home (And Away From Home) Defense Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Rescued GSD, very unsociable, very protective, very territorial, loyal to a fault. Will be three in March and at around a hundred lbs I think ...

Page 13 of 28 FirstFirst ... 39101112131415161723 ... LastLast
Like Tree243Likes

Thread: What kind of dog do you own? Are they a good watch/guard dog?

Rescued GSD, very unsociable, very protective, very territorial, loyal to a fault.
    Will be three in March and at around a hundred lbs I think he'd be a formidable
    foe. ha ha, once he knows you're a friend rather than a foe he ignores you. I
    almost changed his name to Shadow for obvious reasons, where I am he is.

Here he is in his attack mode ...

F 5.JPG

Luv this guy !
    kb2wji likes this.

2. Remove Ads

My dog is just over a year old and around 60lbs. She's a American Straffordshire Terrier. She's a good watch dog, she will bark and let us know that people or other animals are on the property. As a guard dog not so good. She loves meeting people and is VERY sociable but that is a trait of her breed.

542120_4465855802960_1720860480_n.jpg

Senior Member Array Kimberpackn's Avatar

Three Boston Bulldogs
    We should not forget that the spark which ignited the American Revolution was caused by the British attempt to confiscate the firearms of the colonists. -

Patrick Henry

VIP Member
    Two dogs - a 30 lb. mystery mutt named Tanner. She has ears like satellite dishes and alerts us to anybody pulling up into the cul-de-sac. Our pomeranian, Carolina, will bark when Tanner does. Shrill enough to split your eardrums.

dawgs.jpg
    "Americans have the will to resist because you have weapons. If you don't have a gun, freedom of speech has no power." - Yoshimi Ishikawa

Quote Originally Posted by goldshellback View Post
    Well, we've got 4 dogs. Two pitts (father and son.... see my avatar) who are extreemly friendly but VERY alert. If they don't know you, DO NOT enter my house uninvited. One retriever mix who'd show any burgler around the house wether the burgler wanted help or not, and a rescued pitt/greyhound mix (we think) who is a cur and the most loveable thing in the world. A lap dog (she thinks) that give hugs (literally) to everyone and demands attention back.

All four dogs let the house know if something ain't right in their universe but I fear for anyone who tries to get past the pitts. My kids have the entire neighborhood's young'uns in my house at any given time from the last bell at school til the streetlight come on. All my dogs know the neighbors and love the attention....... but any 'new' person that comes over has to pass their muster and definatly will not break/sneak into the house without a fight.
    Heh...sounds like mine. I have a rescued pit that loves to lick everyone to death and thinks she's a lap dog. I'm also fully aware that she will probably help a thief carry out the fridge IF no one is home. If I'm home though, as Mr T says..."I pity the fool". She's become quite attached to my parents place since my folks watch her for me when I have to practically live at work. She's friendly with their neighbors, but wont let them in the house unannounced.

As an example:
    I stayed with my folks for the holidays. Their neighbors brought over a gift. The dog is friendly with their neighbors...outside. My father let the neighbor into the house unannounced(ie without letting me or the dog know) and it was all I could do to call off the dog when she lept up from her blanket on the floor and tore into the hallway in full on predator mode. She could see the neighbor and knows the neighbor and is friendly with him OUTSIDE, but she also knows enough to know he doesn't belong in the house without being introduced to her first at the front door. It was about to be on like donkey kong.
    "My God David, We're a Civilized society."

"Sure, As long as the machines are workin' and you can call 911. But you take those things away, you throw people in the dark, and you scare the **** out of them; no more rules...You'll see how primitive they can get."
    -The Mist (2007)

Sly
    Quote Originally Posted by rocky View Post
    German Shepard. She is very protective of family and very alert to odd noises or anything on the property.
    I also have a female German Shepherd. As you said VERY protective of family and property. Unlike our Shepherd before her, she actually allows friends and family to touch us. My last shepherd would want to kill anyone that tried to touch us especially my mother- in -law:)
    soonershoote likes this.

A 35 pound Beagle.

In his day he was very ferocious - if you were a squirrel.
    DFuller likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Jemsaal View Post
    A 35 pound Beagle.

In his day he was very ferocious - if you were a squirrel.
    I've got two that chase the heck out of raccoons LOL

We must reject the idea that every time a law's broken, society is guilty rather than the law breaker. It is time to restore the American precept that each individual is responsible for his actions....Ronald Reagan

Aussie Cattle Dog that would bark and growl and MAYBE bite an intruder.
    Olde English Bulldogge that would scare intruder away from her loud snoring.

Two dachunds. Great dogs, great barkers and watch dogs but way too small to be any help.

Distinguished Member Array phreddy's Avatar
    We have a beagle. He makes a lot of noise if he does not know you and you come to the door. I am pretty sure he would settle down for anyone if they would just pet him once they got in. I think he is part goat, so you could be in danger if you were bite sized.

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    Dog? No thanks. The vicious wife is bad enough.
    Retired USAF E-8. Remember: You're being watched!
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

7 year old Black Lab. Best dog in the World!!!!!!!!!!! Will let my two year old try to ride him and pull on his ears and he just looks at her like "really!!"

BUT if anyone was ever casing my house they would think twice. He is almost always outside laying in the driveway and will run up and down the yard line with hair up barking at anyone walking by. So he wants to protect us but is the most loving gentle dog in the world all at the same time. Its going to be a very hard day when his time comes.

Here's Fritz, my rescued GSD. He joined the family at 10 weeks old after some meth-head tossed a box of puppies into a lake. 3 of the 6 littermates lived. Fritz is 5 yrs old.

How's this for alert???

Cheers!
    OD* and Skate like this.
    One Riot, One Ranger. Long live the Republic of Texas.

JOIN THE NRA AND DO IT TODAY!!

Kaiser - 18 month old GS. Never saw a ball/stick/horseshoe he wouldn't chase and return, very protective.

IMGP5826 - Copy.JPGIMGP5859 - Copy.jpg

Shiner - 10 year old Lab. If you are UPS/Fedex guy, stay away, other than that, he is easy going.

62025_1614879973036_5096758_n.jpg312830_2681952929193_775221534_n.jpg
    Last edited by 68blackbird; January 2nd, 2013 at 08:39 PM.
    Jetfuelrm, OD*, Skate and 1 others like this.
    The wise man looks for ways to minimize mistakes, a fool boasts it will never happened to him.

"The problem is not the availability of guns, it is the availability of morons."
    - Antonio Meloni

Links