What kind of dog do you own? Are they a good watch/guard dog? - Page 14

What kind of dog do you own? Are they a good watch/guard dog?

This is a discussion on What kind of dog do you own? Are they a good watch/guard dog? within the Home (And Away From Home) Defense Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I have a German Shepard all black. She will let you in the house and is not mean but when you try to leave if ...

Page 14 of 31 FirstFirst ... 410111213141516171824 ... LastLast
Like Tree333Likes

Thread: What kind of dog do you own? Are they a good watch/guard dog?

I have a German Shepard all black. She will let you in the house and is not mean but when you try to leave if one of us is not there at the door you wont be able to leave.
    "As a strong supporter of our 2nd Amendment rights, I believe tougher enforcement of our nation's existing gun laws must be done before any more laws are enacted and put on the books."
    Jeff Miller

They may be smiling now but I don't recommend coming in unannounced in the night... The little yapper in the back will alert us first, but the other two wont let you in without mom and dad saying its OK.
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1357350952.650255.jpg

Crazy though - I just read an article yesterday about a homeowner alerted to a prowler by his dogs - he got his gun and went out to find the guy choking his Rottweiler! I don't think that's something I would try! (he shot the BG, I believe in the leg). In that case, the dog did what I want mine to do - alert me and buy me time.

*edit - don't know why the picture posted twice, but somehow on tapatalk I can't figure out how to delete one....
    Attached Images

Had me 165+ lb rottie! Absolutely great watch dawg and dont EVER think about entering without me or you will meet your maker....if u believe in that sorta thing lol. First night in new house he was still a small pup he was growlin and scratchin at door, well me being me i opened the door.... Go get it boy! Well he gottem alright, busted a burglar tryin to break into my neighbors place! Will def have another one day when feasible. Also had an australian sheppard which was a totally excellent watch dawg. Not sure but would bet she woulda took a hand or leg with her before you got out. Unfortunately she ran off and never found her :(( damn dog loved to RUN!

I have two dogs one is a Goldendoodle (golden retriever poodle) and the other is a mystery. 50 and 15 lbs respectively.

The dogs bark but I'll leave the biting to my 12 gauge!

Actually a big fear of mine is an intruder in the night and my dogs get to him before me which I'm sure they will. I don't want one of them injured or killed by an attacker. I know, I know i could shut the bedroom door at night but my bigger dog has a very sensitive stomach and when he has the squirts on the bedroom carpet it doesn't smell like Folgers in my cup!!
    Rock and Glock likes this.

I have a Jack Russell Terrorist and a Lab. Both are males and very protective.

IMG_0296.jpg

Pit mix. Best dog we have ever owned.
    usmcj, OD*, Cokeman and 2 others like this.

OD*
    Beautiful pooch.
    "The pistol, learn it well, carry it always ..." ~ Jeff Cooper

"Terrorists: They hated you yesterday, they hate you today, and they will hate you tomorrow. End the cycle of hatred, don’t give them a tomorrow."

Re: What kind of dog do you own? Are they a good watch/guard dog?

Quote Originally Posted by Da_Shooter View Post
    Had me 165+ lb rottie! Absolutely great watch dawg and dont EVER think about entering without me or you will meet your maker....if u believe in that sorta thing lol. First night in new house he was still a small pup he was growlin and scratchin at door, well me being me i opened the door.... Go get it boy! Well he gottem alright, busted a burglar tryin to break into my neighbors place! Will def have another one day when feasible. Also had an australian sheppard which was a totally excellent watch dawg. Not sure but would bet she woulda took a hand or leg with her before you got out. Unfortunately she ran off and never found her :(( damn dog loved to RUN!
    165+lbs?? You sure that scale was calibrated? LOL

sent using Tapatypo

Had to go back in the archives and felt compelled to up date my security team ...

3095.JPG

3096.JPG
    Rock and Glock likes this.

"She will let you in the house and is not mean but when you try to leave if one of us is not there at the door you wont be able to leave."

My white does the EXACT same thing. Not sure where he got it from as he was a stray.
    Respectfully,
    Automatic

I have a Rottie, a boarder collie, and a siberian husky. ALL three have strong protection instances. Even the boarder collie who is half-wit and happy-go-luck all the time will growl or bark if something is wrong or doesn't seem right. I'm a true believer that any dog; from a dachshund to a great dane will alert if they have a close bond with their person and fear for their safety.
    When the pin is pulled, Mr. Grenade is not our friend. - US Marine Corps

I have a lab chow mix, biggest baby i have ever seen in a dog. Will stand behind you and bark. I also have 3 other dogs...a beagle shepard mix. hes 55 pounds of in your face. the size of a fullsize beagle with a shepard attitude. He is responsible for removing 1 eye out of one of my yappers (Pomeranians). He is the one I want in my corner when the BG comes in. I might not need to draw my weapon, Java might take him out before I get out of bed. And then there are the pomeranians, little yappy shits.

Jeff

VIP Member
    NOVA...200 square miles surrounded by reality
    I have two:

Redbone Coonhound mix with possible a German sheppard: he may do something.
    Redbone CoonHound Pure bred 2 years old: If the guy comes in and he was sprayed by a skunk or put raccoon urine on his boots he would get howled at alot.
    “Are you a thermometer or a thermostat, do you reflect or become what is happening in the room or do you change the atmosphere, reset the temperature when you come into the room”?--Chuck Swindoll

Its not about guns...Its about Freedom!

I have 5. 2 Boston Terriers, 1 Italian greyhound, 1 Jack Russel mix and a Dachshund. 1Boston is deaf and dumb as a box of rocks. The others will bark as soon as anything is outside. Not good guard dogs but excellent alarms.
    “Those who deny freedom to others deserve it not for themselves.”
    ― Abraham Lincoln

I have a 8yr old Black Lab and a 3yr old Rottie, both females. Let me tell you there is nothing that they dont pick up on. They are hyper aware and very passionate about seeing who is at the door or wanting to check out the pesky rabbit bouncing around the backyard. The next door neighbor knocked at the door late one night last week he locked himself out and wanted to get his spare key. They of course know that it is out of the norm so they went into alert mode and barked growled and damn near took the door down. Once they saw me talking calmly and ushering in the neighbor they stood down. I love it but the direct tv guy hated being in the house with the rottie. By the way my 5 yr old daughter named her and her name is Ruger! Which gets shortened to Ruge and my 2yr old calls he Ugggerr!

Sponsored Links