What kind of dog do you own? Are they a good watch/guard dog?

This is a discussion on What kind of dog do you own? Are they a good watch/guard dog? within the Home (And Away From Home) Defense Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; our puppies DSC01270.jpg DSC_0104 - Version 2.jpg DSC_0074 - Version 2.jpg...

Page 17 of 28 FirstFirst ... 713141516171819202127 ... LastLast
Like Tree243Likes

Thread: What kind of dog do you own? Are they a good watch/guard dog?

NewtownSam and Skate like this.
    Freedom is a road seldom traveled by the multitude - Frederick Douglass

2. Remove Ads

Nevermind ADT...

This is Toby, our English Mastiff. She's about 15 months old, 140 lbs, and from what the vet said she's on track to grow /fill out for another year or so. Her pappy was about 220lbs, her ma about 200.
    I'm hoping she stays lean (as much as you can call such a thick dog lean) She is a gentle giant and a great judge of character. When she barks it rattles the neighbor's windows and her size alone is a great deterrent, I think.

Aside from ongoing basic obedience training (a must for any dog, doubly so for one that can pull a plow ,) she has no "gaurd dog training," but the instinct to gaurd/protect her place and people is so strong in the breed she needed none- in fact, we've gone to great lengths to socialize her with the neighbors, their children, the local dogs, etc, so that she knows who's "ok." Again, a giant dog that is inappropriately aggressive is not acceptable.

She loves the kids with all her heart, as you can see. They treat her like furniture, that's my five-year-old asleep on Toby in all these pics!
    Sorry to post this novel, but I like my pup !2011-12-21_22-40-20_532.jpg2012-02-23_12-29-59_977.jpg2012-11-30_17-30-02_675.jpg2012-12-26_09-48-01_234.jpg2012-12-26_09-58-44_968.jpg2012-12-26_09-48-01_234.jpg2012-09-06_15-41-43_38.jpg

By the way, my daughter's face isnt really a pink blob, but the internet is a wierd and creepy place sometimes, so I colored her face in.
    Thanks all for reading,

Respectfully,
    Sam
    Jeanlouise and olhippy like this.
    Take the long way home...

Basset/Beagle mix. No he is definitely not a guard dog. Henry doesn't bark, growl, whimper or whine. Only noise he makes is when he's after a squirrel or rabbit.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeanlouise View Post
    Here's my guard dog. Scary huh?Attachment 65299
    Somethings missing with that picture? Umm, I know... A pacifier :-)
    I think, therefore I am...

<the Menace>

We have a border collie/ lab mix and she is a wonderful dog. However, our oldest has some allergies to her so as much as he tries to convince us that it is ok for her to be in his room, and as much as she tries to jump up onto his bed, we keep that area dog free.

However, I sometimes wonder if she would be a good watch dog if she needed to be or not. We had one occasion where someone was cutting through our back yard and he looked like he was up to no good and she flipped out and tried to rip his head off. If it was not for the invisible fence, she would have. On the other hand when the electric company comes to read the meter, she keeps pushing on their legs with her ball as if she is saying, "work can wait, play with me" She seems to know who is and is not acceptable.

Our next dog will be a doodle mix of some time. Thinking Irish-doodle or golden-doodle.

GH
    I have a 1 1/2 year old Black Lab. She has an extremely deep & loud bark which she uses when she hears something outside & most times when the doorbell rings, mostly at night. I had a Siberian Husky until she died about a year ago 2 days before her 14th birthday. She was a very mild & friendly dog but her appearance was very menacing & howled instead of barking.
    Glenn

USN Submarine & UDT/SEAL Veteran
    1SG, US Army Retired - Airborne Infantry All the Way!
    Special Warfare Mentor
    M&P40, M&P40C

OD*
    Quote Originally Posted by Jaybm View Post
    I just can't stay away from this thread.

The most alert guard / watch dog I have. Looks can be deceiving !

Attachment 67585Attachment 67586Attachment 67587
    We have two that guard the couch just like that.

"The pistol, learn it well, carry it always ..." ~ Jeff Cooper

"Diligentia Vis Celeritas"

"There is very little new, and the forgotten is constantly being rediscovered."
    ~ Tiger McKee

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Dennis1209 View Post
    Somethings missing with that picture? Umm, I know... A pacifier :-)
    don't give him any ideas.
    It may be that your sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.

http://www.timeanddate.com/countdown...eaves%20office

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by OD* View Post
    We have two that guard the couch just like that.

What a shame that they can't seem to relax.
    It may be that your sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.

VIP Member
    My Dog is wanted in all 57 states.

wantedposter.jpg
    OD* likes this.

OD*
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeanlouise View Post
    What a shame that they can't seem to relax.
    They are rather high strung.
    Jeanlouise likes this.
    "The pistol, learn it well, carry it always ..." ~ Jeff Cooper

"Diligentia Vis Celeritas"

"There is very little new, and the forgotten is constantly being rediscovered."
    ~ Tiger McKee

I have 2 Poodles who can hear a flea burp at 500 yds. They make great indoor watch dogs...annoying at times but good. For outside I have Georgie, our 1 year old Annatolian Shepard puppy. She is 95 lbs now and will put on about another 30 lbs before the next year. She loves kids but adults...not so much. She isn't aggressive but very protective of us and our goats. I should be able to hear all three of my pups because my hearing stinks...lol. I will be waiting for any intruder....me and John Moses browning's creation.
    olhippy likes this.

Senior Member Array GentlemanJim's Avatar
    I have a Lab/Chow mix that used to make his rounds through the house about every hour when the kids were still home. He would check every room and make sure everyone was OK. He is old and on the downhill now. He's missing an eye and the one he still has is getting pretty cloudy. He's also completely deaf and has lost about twenty pounds from when he was in his prime. I guess it's my turn to return the favor and watch out for him.

Jim

Four month old siberian husky.
    Worst. Guard. Dog. Ever.
    But she is probably going to be 60 lbs (large for the breed) and look like a wolf ...so, hopefully, that should make someone think twice before breaking in.
    Siberian Husky 4 month.jpg

Southern Indiana but have a permanent residence in South Coastal Texas
    Presently without one. Lost my male Boxer of almost 13 years on 12/12/12. Was the biggest goofball up until his death. Could make me laugh with just an expression. Loved everyone as long as I did not show any nervousness. Had him in the passenger seat of the pick up one day and stopped at a 4 way intersection. Some whacked out guy opened the passenger door and started to get in. Startled the heck out of me. My adrenilin shot up from 0 to 100 in milliseconds and I was starting to reach for my weapon, Rocky went for the guy with a bark/growl I had never heard before. The idiot jumped back as Rocky was going for the face, I grabbed his collar and stopped him within a hairs breath of the intruders nose. His jaws snapped shut like one of those alligators you see/hear on Gator Boys TV show. The intruder started running off as I drove off. Rocky came over and licked my face as if to say "it`s alright, I got your back". I love that dog and will never forget all of our adventures together. Still hard to talk about him, he would have been 13 yesterday, the 5th of February. R.I.P. old friend. He could hear a frogsfart a mile off. Nobody came into the yard that he was not at the front door when they knocked.
    Jeanlouise and NewtownSam like this.
    "A government big enough to give you everything you need, is big enough to take everything you have"--- Thomas Jefferson, 1778.

Links