What kind of dog do you own? Are they a good watch/guard dog?

This is a discussion on What kind of dog do you own? Are they a good watch/guard dog? within the Home (And Away From Home) Defense Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I have a German shepherd, he lives with my mom and dad now, but he's the worst watch dog/ guard dog ever. If he had ...

Page 3 of 28 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast
Like Tree243Likes

Thread: What kind of dog do you own? Are they a good watch/guard dog?

I have a German shepherd, he lives with my mom and dad now, but he's the worst watch dog/ guard dog ever.
    If he had opposable thumbs he would be making the BG's sandwiches while they ransacked the house.

2. Remove Ads

All you need is a dog that barks at noises. Apparently most criminals are deterred by barking dogs.

If that doesn't stop them, well, nothing else would have either. So shoot to survive.

I own a sheltie, and a sheltie/papillon mix. They are both good watch dogs. I've had to work on reducing the amount of time spent barking when visitors come to my house.

Just a thought for those of you who think your dogs are worthless as a defensive tool. I have a cat. But, my cat investigates noises instead of running from them. So, I put motion sensors on some of my lamps downstairs. Now, if you walk around the exterior of my house at night, you can watch the lights come on as the cat follows you from room to room.
    "The superior man, when resting in safety, does not forget that danger may come." ~ Confucius

^^^thats a great idea

A one-yr-old Vizsla. She thinks everyone loves her and wants to play catch with her. She is alert at the approach of ANYONE to the house - but she is actually looking to play. Seldom barks outside of play. Because of her alertness and going right for the door when someone approaches, she may count as a watch dog. Because of wanting to play, she's not a guard dog. We love her anyway!
    CW5 Retired, Master Army Aviator and MTFE (1970-2005).

Re: What kind of dog do you own? Are they a good watch/guard dog?

I have an American pit bull and a weimaraner. The pit will bark and act scary, but so far (at 10 months old) backs down when challenged. My weimy has yet to show fear of, or back down from anything... But, he's 10 years old now. Between the two I know every time a tree sways on my property.

sent via iCarry

Re: What kind of dog do you own? Are they a good watch/guard dog?

Quote Originally Posted by AngryBadger417 View Post
    I have a German shepherd, he lives with my mom and dad now, but he's the worst watch dog/ guard dog ever.
    If he had opposable thumbs he would be making the BG's sandwiches while they ransacked the house.
    This accurately describes my previous Staffordshire terrier that died a few years back of old age as well.

sent via iCarry

Quote Originally Posted by AngryBadger417 View Post
    ^^^thats a great idea
    It wasn't my idea. I saw it in an article on home security. It mentioned how some people put timers on their lights to make burglars think that they are at home and how a cat activating motion sensors would be even better. Like most cats, mine will prowl half the night. Since all the motion sensors are downstairs, it doesn't disturb my sleep.
    "The superior man, when resting in safety, does not forget that danger may come." ~ Confucius

Wellll...I've got Cookie the Boston Terrier...IF you are a squirrel and break in my house, she will eat you up!!! Otherwise, she just chills and raises one eyebrow every now and then just to let you know she's breathing...NOW, my real killers are Sassy and Kailua the menacing Chihooiehooies (Chihuahuas)...They will alert, even if it's only on Cookie passing gas...They give me plenty of time to respond as necessary to any given situation...
    Sometimes in life you have to stand your ground. It's a hard lesson to learn and even most adults don't get it, but in the end only I can be responsible for my life. If faced with any type of adversity, only I can overcome it. Waiting for someone else to take responsibility is a long fruitless wait.

I have two shih tzu's one is 11 pounds the other 13. Great watch dogs. If the neighbors pull in their drive my dogs are up and to the door or the windows ( they can see out of ) to see what is going on. Sounds outside, right to the closest door or window they heard the noise. Except for the immediate family coming in the house they bark and bark at any one else until I tell them to stop. Don't even think about getting near a door or window, lol we have tried, the barking starts. I say they lol this really is the smallest one. The bigger one pretty much says I am beautiful I do nothing but look beautiful most of the time.

The neighbors business is a well drilling business. This means all times of the night a big truck can be pulling in or out. The little one goes nuts barking. This little girl also doesn't like to hear screaming or crying, loud noises or dogs barking on the tv. The barking starts lol. The bigger one says, shut up and goes back to sleep.
    Our House Is Protected By The Good Lord And A gun. You Might Meet Both Of Them If You Show Up Inside My House Uninvited.

Right now the wife and I only have one a beagle. He isn't very intimating but he is very protective and a good early warning system. Once we purchase a home with a yard I want a chocolate lab and my wife wants a husky.

Very interesting, as I'm on the look out for a good watch dog. My mixed breed of 15 years died off old age last summer.

Doing my research, most experts agree the top three watch dogs are... (1) German Shepard (2) Dobermans (3) Rottweilers.

I've had a couple German Shepard's in my life, great dogs but... If you intend to let them in the house, we had allot of dog hair everywhere.

Our local animal shelter is loaded with Pit Bulls ready to be adopted. As watch dogs, it's my understanding they're low on the list of preferred watch dogs?

Checking the animal shelters in surrounding counties on I believe "Pets Find" or something like that for a Rottweiler, they're far and few in between. Looking at places that sell full blood Rotties, you're talking big bucks. To my knowledge, a Rottie doesn't shed as bad as a German Shepard.

For those of you that have Pit Bulls for watch dogs, how would you rate them as "watch dogs"? I would rather rescue a dog from the pound if possible that meets my needs.
    I think, therefore I am...

<the Menace>

RAL
    Currently a Portuguese Water Dog who is 10 years old, a rescued Pit Bull maybe 6 or 7 years old, and a 6 year old cat. All quietly alert in their own ways when something unusual is in the yard or at the door. We like a quiet house. BUT if you pound on our door like your are trying to break in, you would think a bomb went off. The dogs are registered therapy dogs, so are very good with people, BUT I have had a suspicious acting person approach my back and there was a quiet deep rumble while their eyes were locked on the person. I checked out the situation behind me, told them it was OK, and they were perfectly happy.

My dogs know I am the scary one and will protect them BUT if need be, they will step in to help. Plus they're cute!!!

P2060894 cropped (Small).jpg
    Chaplain Scott likes this.
    I know Whose I am. I know where I'm going. I know the job I'm to do while I'm here. I am an ambassador. This is not my home.

Evil prospers when good people to do nothing. Please don't turn your back. ACT!

We have our 'rescue'... 129 lb White Shepherd. When we first picked him up (stray) we quickly found that anyone we let into the house without some display of friendship (hug, handshake) would not be allowed to leave unless we told him so. He would 'mouth' their wrist/arm.
    He's very good with kids however... he's EXTREMELY protective of the wife (she's obviously HIS flock). He has 3x in the last year, tore up the neighbors Mastiff that escaped & ran at her.
    Don't know all of his history but, of all the dogs we've had (Boxers, Bassets, & Weimers) this guy is truely family.
    2012-08-10194538_zps7986f219.jpg
    Respectfully,
    Automatic

We have a chorkie. She probably wouldnt hurt anyone but every little bump in the nite. She is up and growling and barking. Thatll buy me enough time to get my wits together and get a firearm ready.

Page 3 of 28 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast

Links