What kind of dog do you own? Are they a good watch/guard dog?

This is a discussion on What kind of dog do you own? Are they a good watch/guard dog? within the Home (And Away From Home) Defense Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; We had an Old Englich Sheepdog we had to put down in July. Very lovable dog. Useless as a guard dog. We had a plumber ...

Page 4 of 28 FirstFirst 1234567814 ... LastLast
Like Tree243Likes

Thread: What kind of dog do you own? Are they a good watch/guard dog?

We had an Old Englich Sheepdog we had to put down in July. Very lovable dog. Useless as a guard dog. We had a plumber come in one time when we were not home. Dog did not know him. He brought him a chewie toy
    Then I heard the voice of the Lord saying, “Whom shall I send? And who will go for us?”
    And I said, “Here am I. Send me!”

Isaiah 6:8

2. Remove Ads

I currently only have a geriatric mutt. He is mostly rottweiler but has some other breeds mixed in and I have no clue what those would be. He's a great dog but so old that he doesn't react to much anymore. He can still go on long walks with me and has a personality but he knows his limits and does as little as possible most of the time. He may react but there is no way he is going downstairs to investigate. Plus he is so old I don't want him to because without my assistance down the stairs he has a large chance of falling down.

I really miss my Red Doberman who though not trained as a guard dog, was a great watch dog. She was huge and looked incredibly intimidating and would bark when someone came to the door welcome or unwelcome. If you chose to break into my house with her, you had to intend to come in hard charging because no fool would want to contend with her.

The funny truth about her though was all you needed was a squirt gun to spritz her with because she like most Dobermans absolutely hated water.
    "Was there no end to the conspiracy of irrational prejudice against Red Ryder and his peacemaker?"

Revolvers, “more elegant weapons for a more civilized age.”

Get a German Shepard and never look back.......he'll be smarter than y'all.
    QuasarZ, Automatic and stevez like this.

German Shepherd and Doberman Pinscher here , property is posted and fenced folks call before visiting.

I have two Golden Retrievers. Buddy which we call "Fat Boy" would give one the keys to my safe and Mr. Buster Swuave would place you on a dinner platter before He ate you. Mr. Suave would protect me and my family to the death and thats a good thing these days...

boxer. last three dogs were boxers. thay all died of old age. no one come around the house when he is out in the yard. the fedex/ups/usps people call me when they have a box to drop off to see where he is at. he is an inside/out dog. well trained and is the protector.
    An armed man is a citizen. An unarmed man is a subject.

Red State State of Mind

Border Collie that will herd any intruder to the two pugs who will then lick intruder to death.
    Chaplain Scott and iguanadon like this.

VIP Member
    3 legs, blind in left eye, missing right ear, tail broken, recently castrated... Answers to the name of "Lucky".
    J/K

Chloe our Lab/Dob mix rescue from Detroit pound is 4, and is sometimes afraid of her own shadow, but seems to have a very alert notion about her, and is protective of the backyard and house.

Pics are of her at 5 mo & 2.5 mo.
    Attached Images
    rottkeeper likes this.
    If you want to make God laugh, tell him your plans.

Washington didn't use his freedom of speech to defeat the British, He shot them!

Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it whether it exists or not, diagnosing it incorrectly, and applying the wrong remedy." -- Ernest Benn

VIP Member
    Here are our 2 both are rescues they are not attack dogs but they bark at the smallest thing out of the ordinary.
    Attached Images

Distinguished Member Array lchamp's Avatar
    No dog...but our parrot will tear large bloody holes in anyone other than family...very painful and a fine distraction for an intruder.
    goldshellback likes this.

We have a great Golden Retriever who will bark his head off at strangers but back off if they approach. So, good for watch dog, but guard dog...not so much.

Chance.jpg

We have a wire-haired pointing griffon, who just wants everyone to love him

Quote Originally Posted by yz9890 View Post
    Cavalier King Charles Spaniel. She only barks at strange noises when I'm not home so not a very good watch dog.
    Plus One
    ALWAYS CARRY - NEVER TELL

NRA MEMBER
    GOA MEMBER

Friend of Bill

Quote Originally Posted by frankmako View Post
    boxer. last three dogs were boxers. thay all died of old age. no one come around the house when he is out in the yard. the fedex/ups/usps people call me when they have a box to drop off to see where he is at. he is an inside/out dog. well trained and is the protector.
    awesome. another boxer owner. how heavy is yours? mine is a 60-65 but a female (which i think is good size for a female).

how old did your last boxers live until? i feel like i'll only own boxers from now on. mine is almost 5 but literally acts like a puppy still and has just as much energy as when she was 1

We have a retarded female boxer. Good family dog/friendly. She'll wake us if something is'nt right. TWICE shes gone ballistic. One instance a local burglar/convict had passed my sons and I going hunting. He then drove straight to my house and knocked on each door on the road. Unusual cuz most are camps. Sat across from our place. The wife was home and saw this. She thought she could take dog out back to go(she was more afraid for some stupid reason about dog going on floor).She failed to cal 911 even though she said it was obvious what was going on. The guy was with two others and pulled in our driveway, got out and headed for our door. Dog dragged the wife TO the guy.REAL dumb on my wifes part I know. But he gave his fake bs story and left. The other time was during the day , kids home alone. Someone(we think same guy or his brother)beat on master bathroom window. Then tried opening our backdoor. Could've been some kids we had harassment issues with. Either way she was tied with leash to couch cuz she would'nt listen at the time. She dragged the couch to the back door. Kids called 911, police arrived and found no evidence and left. So she does ok. Just wish I had a dog that would detain BG with teeth for me if needed...
    RIP Jeff Cooper

Page 4 of 28 FirstFirst 1234567814 ... LastLast

Links