What kind of dog do you own? Are they a good watch/guard dog?

This is a discussion on What kind of dog do you own? Are they a good watch/guard dog? within the Home (And Away From Home) Defense Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; 2 pitbulls... No problem...

Page 6 of 28 FirstFirst ... 234567891016 ... LastLast
Like Tree243Likes

Thread: What kind of dog do you own? Are they a good watch/guard dog?

P5
    2 pitbulls... No problem
    It's better to be judged by 12 than carried by 6!!
    Walther P5 / AMT AutomagII

2. Remove Ads

Two pups. The white one is a Siberian Husky who is an awesome watch dog. He will watch folks come and watch them go. The other is a husky/German Shepherd mix. He is super alert, will bark at anyone who approaches the house and notices everything when we're walking together.
    QuasarZ, kb2wji and rabbit2011 like this.

I got two dachshunds. They sound a lot bigger than they are but it's only show. They are great at letting me know if anything unusual is going on outside. As long as the BG stays outside, they sound like big dogs. If the BG ever makes it inside, they might lick him to death or beat him to death with their tails but that's about all.

Cool

photo.jpgphoto.jpg Jessie and Max
    click image to enlarge....

Both rescue dogs and very loyal to their forever mom and dad.

When these two get the bark on it is very impressive.

Never had to see if they would attack to protect but my money is on bite marks on the bad guy.

FlaRon
    "When the people fear the government there is tyranny. When the government fears the people there is liberty". T. Jefferson

II Timothy 1:7 God has not given us the spirit of fear, but of power, love and a sound mind.

Quote Originally Posted by OD* View Post
    Two Pit mixes, absolutely the worst watch/guard dogs we have ever owned, they are friends with anybody.
    Big cowards too, we have to protect them.

Too funny. Gorgeous dogs!!
    tommy62 likes this.

My wife has a chihuahua ankle biter. Very lovable dog. No attack dog, except for your ankles, but she is very alert and would wake up god and country if someone attempted to break in or God forbid, rang the door bell.

A little fun story, at least to me. Utility company tree trimmers came around the house when I was in the driveway. He asked permission to enter the back yard and trim some trees away from the lines. Sure, why not. He asked if I had any dogs. I said before he goes back there let me put the Doberman away so they can work. His eyes got kinda wide. I had a chuckle. If he only knew but then again he doesn't have to know.
    blitzburgh likes this.

OD*
    Quote Originally Posted by Piratesailor View Post
    Too funny. Gorgeous dogs!!
    Thank you, sir.
    "The pistol, learn it well, carry it always ..." ~ Jeff Cooper

"Diligentia Vis Celeritas"

"There is very little new, and the forgotten is constantly being rediscovered."
    ~ Tiger McKee

I have three shepard mixes. Very good at letting me know if someone is around the house but if someone would actually break in i think the best I could hope for is the burglar slipping on the trail of pee they would leave
    discoboxer likes this.

My Australian Shepherd is really cautious about people he doesn't know unless I OK them first. He sleeps on the end of my bed and if anything makes a noise in the house he perks up right away and listens.

1 lab mix too freindly with everyone but a great dog, if she barks you'd think she'd eat you up. We just lost our watch dog..a 10 pound MinPin who would let you know if anyone or anything came within his sensor range.Scooter 2.JPG

I have an English Shepherd.. descended from Scotch Collies.. also called the Old Farm Collie, or Farm Shepherd. Used to be the most popular and most common dog in America.. the stereotypical farm dog.. not so common anymore.

This is Hadley. Shes 3yrs old. A cuddle bug if ever there was one. Loves to lick and give kisses.. fast runner too.. keeps up with any dog at the park. She's very obedient yet independent. ALWAYS alerts to strangers, growling and giving alert barks. Watches every move someone makes that she doesn't know. Only aggressive if you seem threatening to a child..

Hope the pic works. Shes about 55lbs and very lean, good strong jaws and fantastic senses.. I also have an Old English Sheepdog which is a good Watch Dog.. but neither are great Guard Dogs.. just not that aggressive towards strangers unless one of their pack is in danger (i.e human family and kids).

Jason's iPhone Pics 238.jpgJason's iPhone Pics 100.jpgJason's iPhone Pics 434.jpg

Sponsor
    Golden retriever - If you're on the other side of the door and she's barking at you then you're probably not coming inside. If you see her, you're gonna bust right in. 525680_772943108992_327936736_n.jpg
    Firearms For Sale
    Focused on providing the widest selection of firearms and firearm accessories for sale online.

http://www.firearmsforsale.com

Connect with us
    Facebook | Twitter

american staffordshire terrier. hes friendly if im around, im not sure if he would bite but he barks and growls like a devil if he doesnt know you and very alert, instantly reacts to any sound he hears in or around the house. hes my home defense partner lol.
    ruger91

NRA member

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by lchamp View Post
    No dog...but our parrot will tear large bloody holes in anyone other than family...very painful and a fine distraction for an intruder.

^^^^^That reminds me of a parrot joke...............

A burglar broke into a Christian family's home one night. He shined his flashlight around, looking for valuables; when he heard, a strange voice echoing from the dark saying, 'Jesus is watching you.'
    He nearly jumped out of his skin, clicked his flashlight off, and froze. After awhile when he heard nothing more, he shook his head and continued. Just as he pulled the stereo out so he could disconnect the wires, clear as a bell he heard, 'Jesus is watching you.'
    Freaked out, he shined his light around frantically, looking for the source of the voice and finally, in the corner of the room, his flashlight beam came to rest on a parrot..
    'Did you say that?' he whispered to the parrot.
    'Yep,' the parrot squawked, 'I'm just trying to warn you.'
    The burglar relaxed. 'Warn me, huh? And what is your name?'
    ''Moses,' replied the bird.
    'Moses?' the burglar laughed. 'What kind of people would name a bird Moses?'
    'The kind of people that would name a Rottweiler, Jesus:
    If you want to make God laugh, tell him your plans.

Washington didn't use his freedom of speech to defeat the British, He shot them!

Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it whether it exists or not, diagnosing it incorrectly, and applying the wrong remedy." -- Ernest Benn

Two Boykin Spaniels here: 8 year old female and 3 year old male. The female is a bit older and a little more relaxed than the male, but they both do a good job of protecting the house. The male literally believes this is his house and yard, not ours. We have a corner lot in between 2 cul-de-sacs, and if someone is walking or running, he stays right with them barking his head off the whole time telling them they are too close to his property.

The lawn crew was at my house cutting the grass when I came home early from work one day. As soon as I got out of my truck and one of the guys approached me, they both came barrelling off the back deck ready to tear him apart. I calmed them down and put them inside and asked the guy if they were like that the whole time. He said they had simply sat on the porch watching them the whole time. They didn't get aggressive until I showed up. They really believe they're our protectors.

They both sleep downstairs while we all sleep upstairs. We had visitors over for a weekend a year ago or so and one of them was out at a business function until after midnight. We left the back door open so she could get in when she got back. She said as soon as she turned the door knob, they both went nuts barking and growling (the male has a very big bark and growl). As soon as they realized who it was, they calmed down.

I think if someone were to break into our house, they would either scare them off or alert us that something is up. And God forbid an intruder actually does anything to either one of them, we'll find out how much lead the human body can hold before it collapses.

As you can tell, I love my dogs and just want to tell you one more story about them. Before we got the male, the female slept in the bed with us and occasionally with our son down the hall. We were having some bad weather in our area, when all of sudden she got us up at about 2am. She was running back and forth from our room to our son's room. Outside sounded awful so we got our son out of bed and all headed down to the basement. A few minutes later, a tornado set down in the cul-de-sac right outside our house. Luckily no one was hurt and there was minimal damage, but to this day I swear she knew it was coming and was trying to get us to safety.

I love my dogs!!!

Oh yeah, the UPS and Fedex guys back their trucks into our driveway and throw the packages out the back because they're scared to get out.

Page 6 of 28 FirstFirst ... 234567891016 ... LastLast

Links