Donít forget the BEDROOM door!

This is a discussion on Donít forget the BEDROOM door! within the Home (And Away From Home) Defense Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Donít forget the BEDROOM door! Buy yourself some time to react at night with a reinforced bedroom door to slow them down. Use a locked, ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree13Likes

Thread: Donít forget the BEDROOM door!

Donít forget the BEDROOM door! Buy yourself some time to react at night with a reinforced bedroom door to slow them down.
    Use a locked, solid core or steel door, heavy duty frame, 4 inch screws in hinges and locks. Make sure that you have at least 2 sturdy deadbolts with a 2 inch throw into heavy structure.
    Now we have time to wake up and react (buys you some time in a fire too).
    DefConGun, kmagnuss and .45acpguy like this.
    ďTo see what is right and not do it, is want of courageĒ. Confucius

Between my two pitts and the coach gun........ I'm ready to go
    "Just getting a concealed carry permit means you haven't commited a crime yet. CCP holders commit crimes." Daniel Vice, senior attorney for the Brady Campaign to Prevent Gun Violence, quoted on Fox & Friends, 8 Jul, 2008

(Sometimes) "a fight avioded is a fight won." ... claude clay

Me too...........between our male German Shepard and myself armed.....I just can't see me hunkered down hiding behing my bedroom door....Nope.

I want to be able to hear everything going on downstairs better. Also I have small kids...
    I have a very strict gun control policy: if there's a gun around, I want to be in control of it.
    Clint Eastwood

I love Tiberius/Maggie.

Distinguished Member
    I have a different take on home defense. Good outer doors and dogs and alarms seem a better plan for me. If someone does get inside there will most likely be serious consequences for them.
    I shoot with a pistol and a Canon. We must all hang together amigos, or we will all hang separately. NRA life member.

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    The door won't make much difference in a fire. What kills you is the smoke inhalation, not the flames. The majority of people are dead before they burn. That's the reason behind smoke detectors in lieu of "fire" detectors.
    atctimmy likes this.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

Quote Originally Posted by Brad426 View Post
    I want to be able to hear everything going on downstairs better. Also I have small kids...
    There are steel, reinforced "storm" doors that are the outer/"screen" type. While blocking an intruder's visual scan might be desirable, I'd say that of far more importance is that entry while sleeping is blocked. Allows noises to come right through, but makes it more difficult to enter.

Good point, though.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

My issue is like many others', kids outside of my bedroom door. All upstairs so anyone attempting to come up the stairs will be flying off or rolling down them soon enough.
    Brad426 and ExaltedOne like this.
    BigJon

"Better to keep your mouth shut and be thought a fool than to open it and remove all doubt" ~ Mark Twain

Like I said on another post, my Pyr sleeps in the bedroom doorway. I guess I could put in a doggy door for him, but I don't think anyone makes "half-door" doggy doors.
    "If you make something idiot proof, someone will make a better idiot."

- Anon

Re: Donít forget the BEDROOM door!

I believe everyone is kinda missing the OP's main point. A heavy reinforced door is not your only line of defence but one MORE. What if the family is home alone without you? What if you go to explore the source of the noise and are rendered incapacitated? Who will protect the family? Having them barricade themselves in with a cell phone on 911 could be a life saver. And while i agree with many that sitting hunkered down waiting for the police does not sit well with me, how many think they will survive an armed encounter with multiple hostiles? So i believe this is a good idea to incorporate into an already established home defense plan. And those with kids, i have them too, doors can be left open and unlocked during "normal" times. Just my two cents.
    Jason

Sent from my DROID X2 using Tapatalk 2

I like the idea of the reinforced doors for sure. Doing that with the main doors. Additionally the safe room idea is great. Hurry up and wait is tough, but can be safer.
    minimalbrat likes this.
    BigJon

"Better to keep your mouth shut and be thought a fool than to open it and remove all doubt" ~ Mark Twain

I'm good with the front door. What concerns me is the vulnerability of the glass slider in the back. Anybody know how to reinforce that beside a wooden rod in the track?

Quote Originally Posted by Pelagius View Post
    I believe everyone is kinda missing the OP's main point. A heavy reinforced door is not your only line of defence but one MORE.
    Yup. Layered defenses.
    minimalbrat likes this.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Quote Originally Posted by niks View Post
    I'm good with the front door. What concerns me is the vulnerability of the glass slider in the back. Anybody know how to reinforce that beside a wooden rod in the track?
    They make a security screen sized for a silding glass door. It's hinged instead of sliding and ours has a deadlock as well as a deadbolt. You can fold it out of the way for the day, and lock
    it down at night. Makes my wife feel much more secure. In addition, the master bath has a huge deep tiled tub as part of the shower, in the event of an emergency she is to hunker down in the tub with her 870, and the dogs. The door leading to the bathroom is a solid oak door, with the appropriate locks( I forgot how deep I set them, but they're deep). Once in the tub,
    door locked she is only to open it for me(with the appropriate words, or the police(she is not to open the door to the police unless instructed to by the 911 operator). My plan may not be
    to everyone's liking, but it's the best I could come up with, given our situation.

Tom
    45ACP4ever likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by niks View Post
    Bolts in the top sliding track to prevent the door from being lifted out of the frame.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links