My advice to my kids - Page 2

My advice to my kids

This is a discussion on My advice to my kids within the Home (And Away From Home) Defense Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I have three adult daughters, all three have Green Krav Maga patches and all have their Florida CWFL....

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree35Likes

Thread: My advice to my kids

Distinguished Member Array chuckusaret's Avatar
    I have three adult daughters, all three have Green Krav Maga patches and all have their Florida CWFL.
    Jeanlouise likes this.
    US Army 1953-1977

‘‘We, the People are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts — not to overthrow the Constitution, but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution.’’
    — Abraham Lincoln

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by chuckusaret View Post
    I have three adult daughters, all three have Green Krav Maga patches and all have their Florida CWFL.
    Thankfully my 2 daughters are adults now and never had to run from a BG. My older daughter was in the WV ANG for 4 years. I want them both to take some sort of self defense course. I've never heard of Krav Maga but I'm going to look into it.
    It may be that your sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.

http://www.timeanddate.com/countdown...eaves%20office

Quote Originally Posted by Jeanlouise View Post
    When my girls were teenagers I told them that if they are ever confronted by a man with a gun and told to go with him...turn and run...left then right... and never, never get in his car no matter what, even if he says he's going to shoot you if you don't.

#1...he probably won't shoot because his intent is to get you to go with him, not get charged with murder.

#2...even if he shoots, if you're running there's a chance he won't hit you or if he does, it won't be fatal.

#3...if you're going to die, better that you die from a gun shot then be raped, tortured and then killed.

I hated having to be so blunt with them but I wanted them to remember this. At the time our area was experiencing a rash of abductions, especially from gas stations/convenience stores (Washington DC area).

What do you tell your daughter?

I've told my daughter much the same. And she agrees. She's 18 now. She will not simply submit to a man trying to abduct her or rape her. She will fight. I've told my boys the same thing. Run, fight and resist any way and every way you can.
    Jeanlouise likes this.
    ,=====o00o _
    //___l__,\____\,__
    l_--- \___l---[]lllllll[]
    (o)_)-o- (o)_)--o-)_)

I hate to say it but many families of abducted victims go thru hell not knowing what happened to their loved one.
    Jeanlouise likes this.
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Thankfully my 2 daughters are adults now and never had to run from a BG. My older daughter was in the WV ANG for 4 years. I want them both to take some sort of self defense course. I've never heard of Krav Maga but I'm going to look into it.
    Krav Maga is the Israeli army hand to hand combat system. It's brutal, effective and no nonsense.
    Jeanlouise likes this.
    You gain strength, courage, and confidence by every experience in which you really stop to look fear in the face. You are able to say to yourself, "I have lived through this horror. I can take the next thing that comes along." . . . You must do the thing you think you cannot do. Eleanor Roosevelt

Distinguished Member Array Paymeister's Avatar
    The development of Krav Maga is fascinating and is a good read (though the politics of 'who gets to teach it and what they get to call themselves' is kinda disheartening).

Still, the basic tenets of it are effectively "Scientific Street Fighting" - no hokey Eastern religions or lovely choreographed displays, just body parts flying through the air. They don't do tournaments, for example, because it is too dangerous.

Reality Based Self Defense Fitness West Virginia is in Ranson, just 26 miles or so from Falling Waters. I can't vouch for them (never heard of 'em until I looked it up), but I should think it worthwhile to check them out.

My daughter took her Krav Maga classes down in Blacksburg, VA (mile marker 118 or so off 81, just to give you an idea of distance). Great instructor, but a bit far.

When my girls were teenagers I told them that if they are ever confronted by a man with a gun and told to go with him...turn and run...left then right... and never, never get in his car no matter what, even if he says he's going to shoot you if you don't.

#1...he probably won't shoot because his intent is to get you to go with him, not get charged with murder.

#2...even if he shoots, if you're running there's a chance he won't hit you or if he does, it won't be fatal.

#3...if you're going to die, better that you die from a gun shot then be raped, tortured and then killed.

I hated having to be so blunt with them but I wanted them to remember this. At the time our area was experiencing a rash of abductions, especially from gas stations/convenience stores (Washington DC area).

What do you tell your daughter?
    I told both of my children the same thing. I was very graphic also. No reason to mince words. This was a conversation that was not only to be taken seriously but to be remembered. I tell them the same thing now.
    Our House Is Protected By The Good Lord And A gun. You Might Meet Both Of Them If You Show Up Inside My House Uninvited.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Sponsored Links