My advice to my kids

My advice to my kids

This is a discussion on My advice to my kids within the Home (And Away From Home) Defense Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; When my girls were teenagers I told them that if they are ever confronted by a man with a gun and told to go with ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree35Likes

Thread: My advice to my kids

VIP Member

My advice to my kids

When my girls were teenagers I told them that if they are ever confronted by a man with a gun and told to go with him...turn and run...left then right... and never, never get in his car no matter what, even if he says he's going to shoot you if you don't.

#1...he probably won't shoot because his intent is to get you to go with him, not get charged with murder.

#2...even if he shoots, if you're running there's a chance he won't hit you or if he does, it won't be fatal.

#3...if you're going to die, better that you die from a gun shot then be raped, tortured and then killed.

I hated having to be so blunt with them but I wanted them to remember this. At the time our area was experiencing a rash of abductions, especially from gas stations/convenience stores (Washington DC area).

What do you tell your daughter?
    niks, ccw9mm, nerdyvirgin and 6 others like this.
    It may be that your sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.

http://www.timeanddate.com/countdown...eaves%20office

Senior Moderator
    Just glad that I don't have daughters! But I have told my sons to never get in a car with someone they don't know and to run away if someone tries to catch them. I have also told them to fight, bite, scratch, kick and scream if someone grabs them.
    niks, tcox4freedom and Jeanlouise like this.
    A real man loves his wife, and places his family as the most important thing in life. Nothing has brought me more peace and content in life than simply being a good husband and father.

Kick him in the nuts if he is too close, then run like crazy screaming their heads off!
    Jeanlouise likes this.
    Disarming innocent people does not protect innocent people.

Don't ever think that the reason I'm peaceful is because I'm afraid to be violent!

Jut like you said but I added scream like a banshee.
    tcox4freedom and Jeanlouise like this.

I've never lived in a high-crime area with my children so this was never top of mind to this level of detail and we always just told them "never get in a car or go anywhere with strangers". That said, I really like your advice and think all girls should hear it.
    Jeanlouise likes this.
    "There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." ~ P. J. O'Rourke

Distinguished Member Array tcox4freedom's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by marinevet1994 View Post
    Kick him in the nuts if he is too close, then run like crazy screaming their heads off!

There is one problem with this strategy- BGs know that a victim will usually try to kick them in the groin. So, they will be expecting this to happen.

You need to have more than that in your arsenal.

-
    Jeanlouise likes this.

True. Now that they are a little bigger, I should probably teach them the proper way to dislocate a knee.
    Disarming innocent people does not protect innocent people.

Don't ever think that the reason I'm peaceful is because I'm afraid to be violent!

I tell them pretty much the same thing you tell yours. The whole 'do as they tell you and you won't get hurt' thing is dangerous. I have never subscribed to that philosophy. I believe my children have a better chance if I arm them with the truth. Just because you want to believe the world is a good place doesn't make it true.

It is also important to instruct them this applies to people they know. Most child abductions are by someone they know. The whole 'stranger' approach sets them up for a trap. The pedophile learned a long time ago how to use that to their advantage. My children are also instructed to only trust uniformed officers.

Of course my children are adults now. They teach their children the same things they were taught as children.
    Jeanlouise likes this.

Serve my country, swear an oath to protect it, pay my taxes, fly old glory in the front yard, love and protect my family, honor the vets before me and help fellow americans in need.
    By definition my country now calls me a radical

Never go to a second location... It's always better to die where you stand than somewhere else where you may never be found... and suffer whatever indignities may transpire before you are killed.
    Jeanlouise likes this.
    Rats!
    It could be worse!
    I suppose

Administrator
    CQB Stitch drill. Works well with small caliber mouse guns.
    Jeanlouise likes this.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Good advice that applies to anyone regardless of age. Kudo's to OP for arming your children with life saving knowledge. Too many try to shelter their children from reality and IMHO make them potential easy prey for a predator...
    Jeanlouise likes this.
    RIP Jeff Cooper

Distinguished Member
    I told my daughter "two to the heart, one to the head"
    Jeanlouise likes this.
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    The Second Amendment *IS* Homeland Security
    --------------------- Μολὼν λαβέ ----------------------

Distinguished Member Array Paymeister's Avatar
    Now quite word-for-word, but we're pretty close.

I also enrolled my daughter in Krav Maga classes.
    1911srule and Jeanlouise like this.

#3...if you're going to die, better that you die from a gun shot then be raped, tortured and then killed.

That's good advice for anyone. If someone is trying to abduct you, the murder part is only coming later and I'd rather not go through the heinous part inbetween.
    aus71383 and Jeanlouise like this.
    "Was there no end to the conspiracy of irrational prejudice against Red Ryder and his peacemaker?"

Revolvers, “more elegant weapons for a more civilized age.”

At least once a day my daughter manages to incapacitate me with an inadvertent shot to the nuts....I'm sure she'll make short work of any kidnapper.

She knows to scream and run with everything she's got...it's unfortunate but kids have to learn at an early age there are dangers all around.
    aus71383 and Jeanlouise like this.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links