Why do you send your kids to school?

This is a discussion on Why do you send your kids to school? within the Home (And Away From Home) Defense Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Originally Posted by tacman605 It is a simple fact of life that many households are, and not by choice, two income households. There is no ...

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree70Likes

Thread: Why do you send your kids to school?

Quote Originally Posted by tacman605 View Post
    It is a simple fact of life that many households are, and not by choice, two income households. There is no way that they could survive without both parents working so there is no way one could quit and home school their kids. This does not even touch the number of single parent households.

I am a firm believer that kids must interact and develop social skills to become productive in life. Nothing against home schooling but not every parent is up to it the level of education would only be as good as the parent providing it.
    this is why we couldn't homeschool.
    You gain strength, courage, and confidence by every experience in which you really stop to look fear in the face. You are able to say to yourself, "I have lived through this horror. I can take the next thing that comes along." . . . You must do the thing you think you cannot do. Eleanor Roosevelt

2. Remove Ads

Nothing against home school but doing it for safety is not a great reason. Possibly a better education is a great reason.

Many people can not simply afford to home school as stated in previous posts. Granted as parents we want to keep are children as safe as we can however we can not shelter them from every possible dangerous situation. We allow are children to walk across streets where they could be hit by a car, we let them walk through malls(with or without us), same goes for movies, and etc., etc. While school shooting are tragic one needs to look at it in perspective they are rare. On that note all mass shooting are rare but the media/anti weapon groups play them for all its worth.

We are now back to square one. Banning weapons(so say the anti's) will solve the problem rather than trying to solve the mental problems of people that commit senseless/mass shootings. I will be the first to say that solving the problem is going to one of the hardest things that America will have to tackle. One fact that is evident is banning weapons is not the answer.
    aus71383 likes this.
    "One of the greatest delusions in the world is the hope that the evils in this world are to be cured by legislation."
    --Thomas B. Reed, American Attorney

Second Amendment -- Established December 15, 1791 and slowly eroded ever since What happened to "..... shall not be infringed."

Home invasions are relatively rare too. Statistically how many homes get invaded for the millions of homes in America?

How likely are you to get robbed in your lifetime? Has anyone in your family been the victim of an armed robbery?

Why carry at all then? If you're not willing to play the home invasion odds, why play the school shooting odds with your babies? Lets not just talk about shootings. Three local teachers were arrested recently for sexually abusing students. You're trusting a stranger to "watch over" your kids all day almost every day for 18 years of their life!! Maybe their daycare bus driver leaves them on the bus?? Bullying is pretty awful too and the teachers either can't or won't do anything about it. Sure there are lousy parents who do these things, but at least they aren't parenting YOUR kid.
    aus71383, tcox4freedom and RAL like this.
    I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people and I expect the same from them. -- John Wayne as John B. Books in "The Shootist"

Distinguished Member Array sealteam20001's Avatar
    maby its time for teachers and staff to have a choice to carry~~~or not!!!. and post signs "OUR STAFF MAY CARRY GUNS" at all doors. my feelings.
    Crowman, Paco and tcox4freedom like this.

Statistically how many homes get invaded for the millions of homes in America?
    8,000 home invasions per day in North America. Almost 3,000,000 per year. 60% of sexual assaults happen during a home invasion too. I'd be more worried about that than flirty teachers.

Again, not anti-homeschooling or anything. I knew a couple homeschool kids in my neighborhood who were cool and not super-nerds or religious wackos.
    ,____,
    //' British Agent
    "
    "Happiness is a warm Gun."

And in this state, you are facing a felony charge if you carry on ANY school property.

With this rationale, the Conn. shooting never happened...because after all, GUNS AREN'T ALLOWED in schools...

Depending on where your children go to school it may be the most dangerous place for them. Many areas of Milwaukee that is the case. Public school are not about educating.
    They stopped being that long ago.

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    There's more about education than what's presented in a school book. I can't imagine my life without the interactions I enjoyed (that's right, I said "enjoyed.") in school. As for fearing for their safety, I'd have to restrict them from flying, riding in a vehicle, walking on the sidewalk, and breathing the same contaminated air as the rest of the world.

And teh last thing I would have wanted to do is spend that much time under my mom's nose, as much as I loved her. A guy's got to be a guy, you know?
    tacman605 and mprp like this.
    Retired USAF E-8. Avatar is OldVet from days long gone. Oh, to be young again.
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

For folks that homeschool for safety reasons.....which is what this thread appears to be about, if you could afford a good private school would you prefer that or you just afraid of your having your kids outside of your control?

We had our son in private Christian schools his whole school years and we never felt that he was in danger and liked the security that was afforded at these schools. But, to be fair, no school is a Ft. Knox and it would not be that hard for a nut to open up in a school yard.

We thought of homeschooling but decided against it. I think it is fine for folks to homeschool their kids for educational reasons.

I think it is wrong to homeschooll your kids to "protect" them. They have a better chance of getting killed in a car accident with you than they ever would getting shot at school. But, i do not judge any parent. When I said "wrong" I meant as a philosophy, not a determination by a set pf parents in a specific set of circumstances.
    aus71383 likes this.
    Then I heard the voice of the Lord saying, “Whom shall I send? And who will go for us?”
    And I said, “Here am I. Send me!”

Isaiah 6:8

Distinguished Member Array tcox4freedom's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by suntzu View Post
    For folks that homeschool for safety reasons.....which is what this thread appears to be about, if you could afford a good private school would you prefer that or you just afraid of your having your kids outside of your control?

We had our son in private Christian schools his whole school years and we never felt that he was in danger and liked the security that was afforded at these schools. But, to be fair, no school is a Ft. Knox and it would not be that hard for a nut to open up in a school yard.

We thought of homeschooling but decided against it. I think it is fine for folks to homeschool their kids for educational reasons.

I think it is wrong to homeschooll your kids to "protect" them. They have a better chance of getting killed in a car accident with you than they ever would getting shot at school. But, i do not judge any parent. When I said "wrong" I meant as a philosophy, not a determination by a set pf parents in a specific set of circumstances.
    Not all 'private" schools are created equal. (Some of them are just as bad as "public" school.)

Homeschooling is tough on my wife & I as parents. But, there are only three "private" schools in my area that I would even think about sending my kids. Cost is a factor for us. But, even if we could afford it, the waiting lists is long and the logistics would be a nightmare.

-

Quote Originally Posted by BritishAgent View Post
    Not having them around for 8+ hours a day.

I'm not a parent actually, and I love my parents, but if I had to spend K-12 hanging out with them, instead of learning how to talk to girls... Lets say I would've never made it.

Statistically speaking there are more home invasions than school shootings, especially if you take location into account. Some places they're only safe for the 8.5 hours/day they're on Government property.
    There maybe more home invasions. But, I would bet that more children have died in school shootings. Besides, if some one is dumb enough to try an HIR at my home, they will be met by two pits and fully armed dad! There is absolutely NO POSSIBLE WAY ANY school can protect my children better than I can!

-

Quote Originally Posted by tcox4freedom View Post
    Not all 'private" schools are created equal. (Some of them are just as bad as "public" school.)

Homeschooling is tough on my wife & I as parents. But, there are only three "private" schools in my area that I would even think about sending my kids. Cost is a factor for us. But, even if we could afford it, the waiting lists is long and the logistics would be a nightmare.

-
    In this case, it would be "me and my wife."

Senior Member Array CowboyColby's Avatar
    It takes a special someone to become a good teacher and even greater someone to become a great teacher. Parents that are able to home school their children positively, socially adapt them to society, live off one income, and still maintain a core family relationship is very tough and the parents that can have my utmost admiration and respect. Being from a very small town I have friends that do homeschool and you can see which ones are great at it and which ones are not.

I would have not liked being home schooled as I loved athletics and the social aspect and I believe public school helped me reach my potential.

If it has hair I can ride it, if it has a beat I can dance to it but make me teach a kid with today's standards and lack punishment I would be in trouble.

Heck a 3 year old had to show me how to run a DVD player the other day.
    aus71383 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Cold Shot View Post
    In this case, it would be "me and my wife."
    or, would it be "my wife and me"?

Administrator
    Because you bathe them at home to wash their bodies and then you send them to school to get their little brains washed.
    Paymeister likes this.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Links