Why do you send your kids to school?

This is a discussion on Why do you send your kids to school? within the Home (And Away From Home) Defense Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Originally Posted by tcox4freedom or, would it be "my wife and me" ? I don't know if it makes a difference. The "I" was used ...

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree70Likes

Thread: Why do you send your kids to school?

Quote Originally Posted by tcox4freedom View Post
    or, would it be "my wife and me"?
    I don't know if it makes a difference. The "I" was used incorrectly, which is why there are professional teachers.

When I was growing up all of the home schooled kids I played sports with were always the friendliest people, and they seemed well adjusted. I'm actually a fairly big supporter of homeschooling, but it's a tall task.

I went to Catholic school, and as you can see, I turned out to be fairly unfriendly.

2. Remove Ads

Because my wife and I have to work.
    68blackbird likes this.
    Vietnam Vets, WELCOME HOME

Crossman 760 BB/Pellet, Daisy Red Ryder, Crossman Wrist Rocket, 14 Steak Knives, 3 Fillet Knives, Rolling Pin-14", Various Hunting Knives, 2 Baseball Bats, 3 Big Dogs and a big American Flag flying in the yard. I have no firearms; Try the next house.

Distinguished Member Array tcox4freedom's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Cold Shot View Post
    I don't know if it makes a difference. The "I" was used incorrectly, which is why there are professional teachers.

When I was growing up all of the home schooled kids I played sports with were always the friendliest people, and they seemed well adjusted. I'm actually a fairly big supporter of homeschooling, but it's a tall task.

I went to Catholic school, and as you can see, I turned out to be fairly unfriendly.
    Yep, I know the "I" was used incorrectly. (not important at all)

You are absolutely correct about homeschooling being a tall task. But, most worthwhile endeavors have some level of difficulty. My wife & I haven't be in school since 1986. It's very hard work to ensure kids get a good education. You also have to make social activities possible. (Home-school offers all of the same benefits of tradition school. But, it prevents all of the disadvantages.)

The difference between most home school education & traditional education is how we prepare them for the real world. Both of my children are entrepreneurs. My son was buying & reselling pencils, pens and other things when he was only FIVE years old. He is also a very good magician. My daughter is an artist and designer. She is learning to sew & sell her designs. (BTW, my son is 13 & my daughter is only 10 years old.)

In public school and other traditional types of education, kids are taught skills that help them get a job. Homeschool parents (like me), teach their children how to CREATE jobs!

ETA;
    You're friendly enough for me to go shooting with if you ever get to SC.

-

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Tala View Post
    I think most of us agree that we carry to protect ourselves and the family, our kids, and we all recognize that it can happen anywhere, anytime.

So what compels us to send our kids away 8+ hours every day to a place where NOBODY can protect them??

I can't quite fathom the idea of sending the most defenseless member of the family out on their own, day in and day out, but soooooooooo many people do it!!!! Why???

At some point we must let our children go. We prepare our children for adulthood, and we gradually need to let go as they grow.

No matter where you are, something bad may happen.

To me it is irrational to home school to protect your children from school shootings. I can see home schooling for other reasons, but the primary reason should not be for protection.
    Lish and aus71383 like this.

School shootings are horrible. And tragic. And heartbreaking. And rare...

I have considered homeschooling many many times. And I respect those who make that choice. When I've considered homeschooling it's for the quality of the education, not the teachers mind you, but the approved curriculum. Everytime I mention something they know nothing about (most recently I asked why is this date signifigant....anyone...anyone....OMG it's the anniversary of Pearl Harbor - WHAT ARE THEY NOT TEACHING YOU SCHOOL?!) I reconsider homeschooling. I've never considered doing it because of the remote possibility of something like this happening.

Don't misunderstand me. I am shaken to the core. Especially that this time it was an elementary school. Not a peer who flipped out in high school, which is horrible enough, but a grown man at an elementary school. I can't wrap my brain around it. I haven't accepted it yet.

At the end of the day I send them to public school for several reasons. First and foremost, we are a two income family. We used to make it on one but the cost of everything, especially groceries, keeps going up and up and I've got 5 kiddies to feed. So I have returned to work - only part time so I can still be home for when I need to be. And if I am completely honest with you, I really don't have the patience to homeschool and do it well. To do grades 9, 6, 4, 2 (that one is special ed btw) and kindergarten at once is more organization that I can handle. I taught for many years and I loved it with every fiber of my being. But I taught severe and profound handicapped kids. Not regular ed. Regular ed is a whole different animal and it's not my strength.

I don't want to raise my kids in a bubble. IMO a home invasion is more likely than a school shooting. I can't protect them 100% of the time, no matter how much I want to. I've had more friends killed with cars than anything else. I've lost many students over the years to complications of their disability or from seizure. Family to various illnesses over the years. Not one to violent crime. Does it happen? Of course it does. I carry everywhere I'm allowed by law to be able to protect meself and my family, but I still believe it's a rare event. I will not raise them to live in fear of walking out the front door. I do wish teachers and parents had the option to be armed in schools. When I was still teaching and we did lock down drills, I hated that sitting duck feeling - it was just a drill but it was such an uneasy feeling - lock the door, get in the closet and hope no one gets in. Egads. Would I have given my life for any one of my students? Gladly. Would I EXPECT someone else to? Never. But I support the choice.
    68blackbird and aus71383 like this.

I actually teach in a public school. Your concerns are valid, and they frighten me, too. What's to keep ME safe? I think that my daughters school is excellent, it's a block from the PD, and I KNOW that I'm not a primary teacher, I'm a HS teacher. I couldn't afford to quit work and school her and her sister, but I'd be pretty sad without her, too.

Honestly, I'm wrestling with this. I do believe that the quality of education in schools in much maligned. The kids who want to succeed and who have parents backing them do very well. It's just that there are so many kids who are NOT supported - nobody checks their homework, attendance, etc.

As for safety, we do drills. Our force fields will protect us once the lock down procedure is intiated. (please recognize the sarcasm there).
    Hopyard and aus71383 like this.

Distinguished Member Array phreddy's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Cold Shot View Post
    Home schooling can be very beneficial, but the question is, how many parents are capable of it?

Not a lot could do a good job, in my opinion.
    My oldest daughter(13) had three surgeries in the first two weeks of November. My wife has been home schooling her during her recuperation. My wife has a masters in chemical engineering and she is having a hard time. It takes special skills to teach, only one of them being intelligence.
    OldVet and Hopyard like this.

Quote Originally Posted by suntzu View Post
    For folks that homeschool for safety reasons.....which is what this thread appears to be about, if you could afford a good private school would you prefer that or you just afraid of your having your kids outside of your control?

We had our son in private Christian schools his whole school years and we never felt that he was in danger and liked the security that was afforded at these schools. But, to be fair, no school is a Ft. Knox and it would not be that hard for a nut to open up in a school yard.

We thought of homeschooling but decided against it. I think it is fine for folks to homeschool their kids for educational reasons.

I think it is wrong to homeschooll your kids to "protect" them. They have a better chance of getting killed in a car accident with you than they ever would getting shot at school. But, i do not judge any parent. When I said "wrong" I meant as a philosophy, not a determination by a set pf parents in a specific set of circumstances.
    We send our kids to a private Christian School. I am on the board of directors. The school has always tried to keep tuition low so that more families could afford it. It has security measures in place, but they are nowhere near what the public schools have. Also, our public schools have resource officers. This is an issue that we are going have to address but it is going to be tough since we are going to have raise tution over 10% already to implement Obamacare.

Up until about a year ago, our son would go to school like any other kid. After several pleads and complaints that he didn't like the school, the wife started researching home school options. She found one online high school that is accredited, but I was still skeptical. The day came that my son came home with a "I saw kids using drugs at school" story and I agreed with my wife to pull him out of the brick and mortar school system in lieu of the online home schooling. The other day, I was telling my wife about the CT school shooting that she said to me that she was glad he doesn't go to the brick/mortar schools anymore. The online school has been working out for the best for all of us, too.
    -Carl-
    2nd AMDT = "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

Our kid went/go to a private Christian school. ALL PRIVATE PROPERTY.:)

Quote Originally Posted by malexander View Post
    Our kid went/go to a private Christian school. ALL PRIVATE PROPERTY.:)
    SC law does not differentiate between public and private schools in its CWP laws.

That is great if OK does.

Distinguished Member Array tcox4freedom's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by phreddy View Post
    SC law does not differentiate between public and private schools in its CWP laws.

That is great if OK does.
    It looks like if you have permission from school officials teachers and other personnel can carry in a private school.

SECTION 16-23-430. Carrying weapons on school property; concealed weapons.

(A) It shall be unlawful for any person, except state, county, or municipal law enforcement officers or personnel authorized by school officials, to carry on his person, while on any elementary or secondary school property

Quote Originally Posted by tcox4freedom View Post
    It looks like if you have permission from school officials teachers and other personnel can carry in a private school.
    Thank you for that. It should give us options as we look at security for our kids school. I am one vote out of 15. Maybe I can get something moving.

VIP Member
    Why do you send your kids to school?
    Because if I had to teach them at home I might kill them. Sometimes the kids need to get away from you and sometimes you need to get away from them.
    OldVet likes this.
    It is surely true that you can lead a horse to water but you can't make them drink. Nor can you make them grateful for your efforts.

We don't see people wanting our Lawmakers banning schools now do we? That might be a problem as well.

For multitudes of reasons any place can be dangerous for children, schools just happen to be the preferential target of crazed individuals. Rather than concentrate on keeping children from public schools, we need to better equip those who are responsible for the school and its safety for the kids.

Right now we have only minimal things in place to guard against what happend in Connecticut, now is the time to look at common sense when defending a target rich environment such as a school. We won't keep the wolves from the sheep all the time, but making it known that the sheep dog has some teeth may prevent some of it. It is certainly a sad state of affairs when we have the need to arm our teachers with firearms to protect and defend. However, that may be the only answer to this problem.

We pay taxes to fund public schools. The people who tax us need to know we want, we demand that better measure are put into place to guard against such attrocities.
    "A Smith & Wesson always beats 4 aces!"

The Man Prayer. "Im a man, I can change, if I have to.....I guess!" ~ Red Green

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Links