Why do you send your kids to school?

This is a discussion on Why do you send your kids to school? within the Home (And Away From Home) Defense Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I think most of us agree that we carry to protect ourselves and the family, our kids, and we all recognize that it can happen ...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Like Tree70Likes

Thread: Why do you send your kids to school?

Why do you send your kids to school?

I think most of us agree that we carry to protect ourselves and the family, our kids, and we all recognize that it can happen anywhere, anytime.

So what compels us to send our kids away 8+ hours every day to a place where NOBODY can protect them??

I can't quite fathom the idea of sending the most defenseless member of the family out on their own, day in and day out, but soooooooooo many people do it!!!! Why???
    I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people and I expect the same from them. -- John Wayne as John B. Books in "The Shootist"

2. Remove Ads

You make a very good point.
    mano3 likes this.
    Duty, Honor, Country...MEDIC!!!
    ¡Cuánto duele crecer, cuan hondo es el dolor de alzarse en puntillas y observar con temblores de angustia, esa cosa tremenda, que es la vida del hombre! - René Marqués

We don't....lots of people homeschool. It can be a very good thing - for lots of reasons.

Austin
    RAL and Ransom like this.

I have no intention of doing so.

I was homeschooled K-12 and my kids will be too.

I graduated from a state school with a 3.8 (combined Bachelors and Masters) in Electrical Engineering.

Everybody considers me well adjusted socially and mentally.

Why would I send my kids to public school?

VIP Member
    Quality of home schooling varies as much as the quality of public schools. If the home schooled kid isn't exposed
    to a variety of people and situations s/he will not grow up to be a rounded person.

There are undoubtedly people and home schooling groups/organizations that can do a great job,
    but then too there are public schools that can do a great job.
    aus71383 and surefire7 like this.
    If the Union is once severed, the line of separation will grow wider and wider, and the controversies which are now debated and settled in the halls of legislation will then be tried in fields of battle and determined by the sword.
    Andrew Jackson

Home schooling can be very beneficial, but the question is, how many parents are capable of it?

Not a lot could do a good job, in my opinion.

You can't protect your children all the time.

Re: Why do you send your kids to school?

Statistics are still quite favorable, let's not get too carried away. It's good for them to get away from their family, make new friends, socialize on the playground, etc.

I'm not against either method, they both have value. Some also can't support a family on a single income.

PM
    In light of todays happening good question then again that was one in how many schools in Conn? The Nation? My child can be killed walking accross the street by a drunk driver;struck by lighting before a baseball game is called due to the lighting. I still allow him to cross the street and to play baseball. Do I think our schools could be safer? Yes; do I think that teachers and staff should be allowed to carry if the hold a CWP? Yes. Do I think the odds are so bad that he should not go to school? No.

We homeschool our kids, so the only "violence" our kids experience is every Thursday (sparring day in TKD).
    tcox4freedom likes this.
    "Don't hit a man if you can possibly avoid it; but if you do hit him, put him to sleep." - Theodore Roosevelt

-Paco
    http://www.shieldsd.net

Distinguished Member Array tcox4freedom's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Tala View Post
    I think most of us agree that we carry to protect ourselves and the family, our kids, and we all recognize that it can happen anywhere, anytime.

So what compels us to send our kids away 8+ hours every day to a place where NOBODY can protect them??

I can't quite fathom the idea of sending the most defenseless member of the family out on their own, day in and day out, but soooooooooo many people do it!!!! Why???
    You post is one of the top reasons we started home schooling 3 years ago.

If my wife and I could,we would homeschool our daughter. Unfortunately,we can't,and also couldn't match the level of instruction she gets now.
    surefire7 likes this.
    You gain strength, courage, and confidence by every experience in which you really stop to look fear in the face. You are able to say to yourself, "I have lived through this horror. I can take the next thing that comes along." . . . You must do the thing you think you cannot do. Eleanor Roosevelt

Not having them around for 8+ hours a day.

I'm not a parent actually, and I love my parents, but if I had to spend K-12 hanging out with them, instead of learning how to talk to girls... Lets say I would've never made it.

Statistically speaking there are more home invasions than school shootings, especially if you take location into account. Some places they're only safe for the 8.5 hours/day they're on Government property.
    ,____,
    //' British Agent
    "
    "Happiness is a warm Gun."

Our kids are home schooled, when we decided to there were several reasons. There safety and well being was our first consideration. We've been severely criticized for doing so, but its no one elses business period. Its the parents call, all who judge had better mind there own affairs. Both our kids have excelled in all their courses. The only drawback is lack of the good points of social interaction. Parents can find substitutes for that with organizations like Boy Scouts, church, ect. IMHO.
    RIP Jeff Cooper

Distinguished Member Array SCXDm9's Avatar

Re: Why do you send your kids to school?

Do you let them ride in your car?

Sent from my DROID4 using Tapatalk 2
    sammage and surefire7 like this.
    Friends don't let friends wear fanny packs!!!

Open carry is to a handgun as bluetooth is to a cell phone!

VIP Member
    It is a simple fact of life that many households are, and not by choice, two income households. There is no way that they could survive without both parents working so there is no way one could quit and home school their kids. This does not even touch the number of single parent households.

I am a firm believer that kids must interact and develop social skills to become productive in life. Nothing against home schooling but not every parent is up to it the level of education would only be as good as the parent providing it.
    mprp, atctimmy and surefire7 like this.
    "A first rate man with a third rate gun is far better than the other way around". The gun is a tool, you are the craftsman that makes it work. There are those who say "if I had to do it, I could" yet they never go out and train to do it. Don't let stupid be your mindset. Harryball 2013

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Links