Defensive Carry banner

Why do you send your kids to school?

5K views 54 replies 40 participants last post by  Paymeister 
#1 ·
I think most of us agree that we carry to protect ourselves and the family, our kids, and we all recognize that it can happen anywhere, anytime.

So what compels us to send our kids away 8+ hours every day to a place where NOBODY can protect them??

I can't quite fathom the idea of sending the most defenseless member of the family out on their own, day in and day out, but soooooooooo many people do it!!!! Why???

#5 ·
Quality of home schooling varies as much as the quality of public schools. If the home schooled kid isn't exposed
to a variety of people and situations s/he will not grow up to be a rounded person.

There are undoubtedly people and home schooling groups/organizations that can do a great job,
but then too there are public schools that can do a great job.

#37 ·
Home schooling can be very beneficial, but the question is, how many parents are capable of it?

Not a lot could do a good job, in my opinion.
My oldest daughter(13) had three surgeries in the first two weeks of November. My wife has been home schooling her during her recuperation. My wife has a masters in chemical engineering and she is having a hard time. It takes special skills to teach, only one of them being intelligence.

#7 ·
Statistics are still quite favorable, let's not get too carried away. It's good for them to get away from their family, make new friends, socialize on the playground, etc.

I'm not against either method, they both have value. Some also can't support a family on a single income.

#8 ·
In light of todays happening good question then again that was one in how many schools in Conn? The Nation? My child can be killed walking accross the street by a drunk driver;struck by lighting before a baseball game is called due to the lighting. I still allow him to cross the street and to play baseball. Do I think our schools could be safer? Yes; do I think that teachers and staff should be allowed to carry if the hold a CWP? Yes. Do I think the odds are so bad that he should not go to school? No.

#11 ·
If my wife and I could,we would homeschool our daughter. Unfortunately,we can't,and also couldn't match the level of instruction she gets now.

Reactions: surefire7
#12 ·
So what compels us to send our kids away 8+ hours every day to a place where NOBODY can protect them??
Not having them around for 8+ hours a day.

I'm not a parent actually, and I love my parents, but if I had to spend K-12 hanging out with them, instead of learning how to talk to girls... Lets say I would've never made it.

Statistically speaking there are more home invasions than school shootings, especially if you take location into account. Some places they're only safe for the 8.5 hours/day they're on Government property.

#26 ·
Not having them around for 8+ hours a day.

I'm not a parent actually, and I love my parents, but if I had to spend K-12 hanging out with them, instead of learning how to talk to girls... Lets say I would've never made it.

Statistically speaking there are more home invasions than school shootings, especially if you take location into account. Some places they're only safe for the 8.5 hours/day they're on Government property.
There maybe more home invasions. But, I would bet that more children have died in school shootings. Besides, if some one is dumb enough to try an HIR at my home, they will be met by two pits and fully armed dad! There is absolutely NO POSSIBLE WAY ANY school can protect my children better than I can!

-

#13 ·
Our kids are home schooled, when we decided to there were several reasons. There safety and well being was our first consideration. We've been severely criticized for doing so, but its no one elses business period. Its the parents call, all who judge had better mind there own affairs. Both our kids have excelled in all their courses. The only drawback is lack of the good points of social interaction. Parents can find substitutes for that with organizations like Boy Scouts, church, ect. IMHO.

#14 ·
Do you let them ride in your car?

Sent from my DROID4 using Tapatalk 2

#15 ·
It is a simple fact of life that many households are, and not by choice, two income households. There is no way that they could survive without both parents working so there is no way one could quit and home school their kids. This does not even touch the number of single parent households.

I am a firm believer that kids must interact and develop social skills to become productive in life. Nothing against home schooling but not every parent is up to it the level of education would only be as good as the parent providing it.

#16 ·
this is why we couldn't homeschool.

#17 ·
Nothing against home school but doing it for safety is not a great reason. Possibly a better education is a great reason.

Many people can not simply afford to home school as stated in previous posts. Granted as parents we want to keep are children as safe as we can however we can not shelter them from every possible dangerous situation. We allow are children to walk across streets where they could be hit by a car, we let them walk through malls(with or without us), same goes for movies, and etc., etc. While school shooting are tragic one needs to look at it in perspective they are rare. On that note all mass shooting are rare but the media/anti weapon groups play them for all its worth.

We are now back to square one. Banning weapons(so say the anti's) will solve the problem rather than trying to solve the mental problems of people that commit senseless/mass shootings. I will be the first to say that solving the problem is going to one of the hardest things that America will have to tackle. One fact that is evident is banning weapons is not the answer.

Reactions: aus71383
#18 ·
Home invasions are relatively rare too. Statistically how many homes get invaded for the millions of homes in America?

How likely are you to get robbed in your lifetime? Has anyone in your family been the victim of an armed robbery?

Why carry at all then? If you're not willing to play the home invasion odds, why play the school shooting odds with your babies? Lets not just talk about shootings. Three local teachers were arrested recently for sexually abusing students. You're trusting a stranger to "watch over" your kids all day almost every day for 18 years of their life!! Maybe their daycare bus driver leaves them on the bus?? Bullying is pretty awful too and the teachers either can't or won't do anything about it. Sure there are lousy parents who do these things, but at least they aren't parenting YOUR kid.

#20 ·
Statistically how many homes get invaded for the millions of homes in America?
8,000 home invasions per day in North America. Almost 3,000,000 per year. 60% of sexual assaults happen during a home invasion too. I'd be more worried about that than flirty teachers.

Again, not anti-homeschooling or anything. I knew a couple homeschool kids in my neighborhood who were cool and not super-nerds or religious wackos. :tongue:

#22 ·
Depending on where your children go to school it may be the most dangerous place for them. Many areas of Milwaukee that is the case. Public school are not about educating.
They stopped being that long ago.

#23 ·
There's more about education than what's presented in a school book. I can't imagine my life without the interactions I enjoyed (that's right, I said "enjoyed.") in school. As for fearing for their safety, I'd have to restrict them from flying, riding in a vehicle, walking on the sidewalk, and breathing the same contaminated air as the rest of the world.

And teh last thing I would have wanted to do is spend that much time under my mom's nose, as much as I loved her. A guy's got to be a guy, you know?

Reactions: mprp and tacman605
#24 ·
For folks that homeschool for safety reasons.....which is what this thread appears to be about, if you could afford a good private school would you prefer that or you just afraid of your having your kids outside of your control?

We had our son in private Christian schools his whole school years and we never felt that he was in danger and liked the security that was afforded at these schools. But, to be fair, no school is a Ft. Knox and it would not be that hard for a nut to open up in a school yard.

We thought of homeschooling but decided against it. I think it is fine for folks to homeschool their kids for educational reasons.

I think it is wrong to homeschooll your kids to "protect" them. They have a better chance of getting killed in a car accident with you than they ever would getting shot at school. But, i do not judge any parent. When I said "wrong" I meant as a philosophy, not a determination by a set pf parents in a specific set of circumstances.

Reactions: aus71383
#25 ·
Not all 'private" schools are created equal. (Some of them are just as bad as "public" school.)

Homeschooling is tough on my wife & I as parents. But, there are only three "private" schools in my area that I would even think about sending my kids. Cost is a factor for us. But, even if we could afford it, the waiting lists is long and the logistics would be a nightmare.

-

#28 ·
It takes a special someone to become a good teacher and even greater someone to become a great teacher. Parents that are able to home school their children positively, socially adapt them to society, live off one income, and still maintain a core family relationship is very tough and the parents that can have my utmost admiration and respect. Being from a very small town I have friends that do homeschool and you can see which ones are great at it and which ones are not.

I would have not liked being home schooled as I loved athletics and the social aspect and I believe public school helped me reach my potential.

If it has hair I can ride it, if it has a beat I can dance to it but make me teach a kid with today's standards and lack punishment I would be in trouble.

Heck a 3 year old had to show me how to run a DVD player the other day.

#32 ·
Because my wife and I have to work.

Reactions: 68blackbird
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.