Discussing tactics with your children

This is a discussion on Discussing tactics with your children within the Home (And Away From Home) Defense Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Gut check time. I have three kids, two of which are school age; 13 year old son and 8 year old daughter. I've never had ...

Like Tree7Likes
  • 2 Post By deadguy
  • 1 Post By GentlemanJim
  • 1 Post By short10
  • 1 Post By KBSR
  • 1 Post By mano3
  • 1 Post By KBSR

Thread: Discussing tactics with your children

Distinguished Member Array deadguy's Avatar

Gut check time. I have three kids, two of which are school age; 13 year old son and 8 year old daughter. I've never had to, or felt I needed to, ask my son what he would do if a shooter came to his school. Yesterday, I did.

He didn't know what to say. I blindsided him with the question, just as students at a school would be by an active shooter. His answer was one of confusion and hesitation. At this point I knew this was something that needed to be addressed with him.

He is a second degree black belt in taekwondo, and more than capable of defending himself in a hand to hand situation. He's very intelligent, somewhat observant (as much as a young teen can be), and sometimes shows he has common sense. I know he can take care of himself.

We covered different scenarios such as the cafeteria, hallways and classrooms. The first option we covered, if the shooter was already in the room, was get low, and get out. Go away from the shooter. Of course, this is if you have an avenue of flight. Put something between you and the shooter. If there is only one doorway or window, and it's blocked, cover yourself. The chance if making it out alive is slim at that point, so if you can get to the shooter, do it. Use what you've learned. You may either disarm, disable, or distract him enough to stop anyone else from being hurt. You may also be shot. Deep breath. But your actions may save others.

If the shooting is overheard coming from another area, barricade the door with whatever you and your friends can put there. Make it harder to get in. He will most likely move on.

I realize there are more options depending in where the kids are and the school setup, but these were the main points we covered. Our 8 year old girl still doesn't comprehend what happened. Like the kids shot Friday, she innocent and ignorant of the evil in this world. My three year old is at the mercy if her daycare.

No one will have the right advice for everyone, but sharing what you have told your kids can help others.
    aus71383 and darbo like this.
    There's nothing like a funeral to make you feel alive

Senior Member Array GentlemanJim's Avatar
    Different tactics for different kids.

The high school age kids should be able to mount some kind of defense in short order if they have thought about it ahead of time.

Last Resort Active Shooter Survival Measures by Alon Stivi - YouTube

Jim
    short10 likes this.

Exactly Jim. Now is as good a time as any to have them start thinking about a plan if there isn't one at their schools.

Sad times. But great parenting. Better to discuss than to sit silent.

I had a teacher in high school who was given grief by the principal for preparing us for such an incident. We practiced barricading the classroom door with tables and later the teachers desk. Too bad the courtyards connecting classrooms were all locked. Needless to say it was a necessary and beneficial experience. Unfortunately the administration didn't feel the same way.

Hopefully the school administrators around the country realize that their current measures aren't enough.

Unfortunately, the public school system in the US has for decades, been geared towards teaching students how to be victims instead of how to NOT be victims. We are pretty much on our own as parents to teach our kids what we can and hope that enough of us will cooperate to teach our children necessary skills to protect themselves in the event of an incident. Depending on cooperation from the schools will likely prove a waste of time, at least initially.
    Truckinbutch likes this.

I want to cry reading this thread. It's so horrible that it's come to this because of evil people. I'm scared to have my own kids one day, but I know I will make sure to have a similar talk with them when ready.

Sounds like you're a good dad.

AdBro I appreciate that and totally agree with you.

deadguy, I applaud your parenting, and everything you've already done to this point in raising your children. I know your son didn't make it to all those karate classes on his own, and it takes involved parents to raise great children. Good for you, and good for your kids.

All of my kids are grown, so now my focus is on grandchildren. (Nothing better on the planet. :) The two grandchildren I'm around all the time, are too young yet for school, but I think I'd offer the same advice. Run away if you can, make yourself as hard to hit as possible, and barricade the doors to the extent possible if there isn't any other choice.

If there is a window, even if it's a second story window, I think I'd advise my grand sons to break the window, and get out, if at all possible. My grandsons are pretty tough, and I doubt they'd get hurt very bad jumping from 10-12 feet. Sure better then getting shot, that much I think everyone could agree on.

I'm sure the President's soon to be announced gun violence policy will make all of these conversations unnecessary though, so maybe we shouldn't even worry about it. (That last sentence was typed in sarcasm font if you couldn't determine that on your own).
    deadguy likes this.
    " But if you are authorized to carry a weapon, and you walk outside without it, just take a deep breath, and say this to yourself... Baa." Col. Dave Grossman on Sheep and Sheepdogs.

I hate that I am scared to have children now. I worry what the world will be like as they grow.

What I am most amazed about .... is when people aren't talking to their kids about it & self-defense in all situations . I hate hearing "oh they are too young" . To me .... it has "nothing" to do with the schools, etc...... it has to do with parents should be teaching their kids about situational awareness, defense, avoidance, how to defend themselves and not be a victim, up to and including how to use things around them as weapons. To me, it's not about school... it's about "anywhere".

It's not all about tactics, or reaction, it's also about "mindset".

Do people teach their kids how to get out of the house if it's on fire ? They should be. How's this any different ?

Gee.. .... we used to have to practice what to do when / if there was a nuclear attack or explosion.
    I don't make jokes. I just watch the government and report the facts. --- Will Rogers ---
    Chief Justice John Roberts : "I don't see how you can read Heller and not take away from it the notion that the Second Amendment...was extremely important to the framers in their view of what liberty meant."

Quote Originally Posted by Eagleks View Post
    Do people teach their kids how to get out of the house if it's on fire ? They should be.
    good point.

Our schools in Elmore County, Alabama have the kids practice what to do during an active shooter incident. Each school also has an armed police officer there all day.
    deadguy likes this.
    US Air Force, 1986 - 2007

"To disarm the people is the best and most effective way to enslave them..." George Mason

http://www.appleseedinfo.org/

Quote Originally Posted by AdBro View Post
    I hate that I am scared to have children now. I worry what the world will be like as they grow.
    There isn't a tougher job on this planet, then raising children to become productive members of society, and to see them achieve their goals in life. It's a 24X7X365 job, that is sometimes largely thankless, but it's work worth doing.

These school shootings, while horrible and heart wrenching, are also very rare. You wouldn't know that to listen to the MSM, but it's a fact. You be the best parent you can be, and the best citizen you can possibly be, and your children will be fine.

Be safe.
    deadguy likes this.
    " But if you are authorized to carry a weapon, and you walk outside without it, just take a deep breath, and say this to yourself... Baa." Col. Dave Grossman on Sheep and Sheepdogs.

Quote Originally Posted by KBSR View Post
    There isn't a tougher job on this planet, then raising children to become productive members of society, and to see them achieve their goals in life. It's a 24X7X365 job, that is sometimes largely thankless, but it's work worth doing.

These school shootings, while horrible and heart wrenching, are also very rare. You wouldn't know that to listen to the MSM, but it's a fact. You be the best parent you can be, and the best citizen you can possibly be, and your children will be fine.

Be safe.
    it's not just about school shootings. it's the way EVERYTHING is going right now. i can't imagine my children will be able to live in the peaceful america that i've been raised in. we're deteriorating QUICKLY.

Links