Just received a heads up from a LEO friend

This is a discussion on Just received a heads up from a LEO friend within the Home (And Away From Home) Defense Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Thanks for the info. I will be informing my family and friends about this for sure!...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree34Likes

Thread: Just received a heads up from a LEO friend

Thanks for the info. I will be informing my family and friends about this for sure!

2. Remove Ads

Quote Originally Posted by TX expat View Post
    Dude, I do it all the time. I usually get the car moving pretty good before I hop out, but I've yet to have anyone actually try to take the car after I hop out.
    Sure. Which only shows there aren't that many instances of thefts while running.

But the LEO's "alert" (from the OP) suggests it's becoming a more-common tactic.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Just received a heads up from a LEO friend

No, it suggests some LEOs are just as susceptible to hoaxes as everyone's most gullible, email-forwarding relative.
    Crowman and 68blackbird like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Ishmael View Post
    No, it suggests some LEOs are just as susceptible to hoaxes as everyone's most gullible, email-forwarding relative.
    Perhaps. Not if it comes from knowledge from instances occurring in his area. Perhaps GH can speak to this, instead of calling it gullibility and "hoaxes."
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Ex Member
    Maybe I am in a minority here but how do you get a piece of paper to stick to a window? Paper, tape, glue. Is this happening outside Office Depots?
    aus71383 likes this.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ccw9mm View Post
    Sure. Which only shows there aren't that many instances of thefts while running.

But the LEO's "alert" (from the OP) suggests it's becoming a more-common tactic.
    I think it says more about the general self preservation instinct most folks possess when faced with a moving vehicle that has no occupants.

No Kidding,Did you know at the end of a rainbow is a pot of gold....
    Crowman likes this.
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Quote Originally Posted by Jeanlouise View Post
    This may be a "myth" but it sounds plausible to me. I'd probably see a paper on my back window before I got into the car but who knows...

I will say that I realized how vulnerable I was while loading groceries into my trunk the other day. I was busy throwing bags in, thinking about what I needed to do next and the shopping cart guy came up behind me and asked me if he could take my cart back. He scared the heck out of me, I had NO idea anyone was behind me (and he wasn't even trying to be quiet). It was a real wake up call for me.

Another very vulnerable time, for women especially, is when we're buckling kids into their car seats. Our backs are turned, we're busy, kids are talking etc. It would be so easy for someone to run past and grab our purse or worse.

Last year we had a rash of people driving past elderly women in the Wal-Mart parking lot, the person on the passanger side would lean out the window and grab the woman's purse out of her hand or off her arm and the driver would speed off. It happened in the blink of an eye and they were hard to catch, although they finally were.
    I always watch the guy approaching the woman in the parking lot while she's unloading her groceries/buckling her kids. That could be my wife in that situation. It's definitely a vulnerable position to be in.

Austin
    Lish, Jeanlouise and 1 old 0311 like this.

It appears he isn't much of a friend if he did not verify the info before passing it on.
    snopes.com: Flyers on Car Windows Carjacking
    "One of the greatest delusions in the world is the hope that the evils in this world are to be cured by legislation."
    --Thomas B. Reed, American Attorney

Second Amendment -- Established December 15, 1791 and slowly eroded ever since What happened to "..... shall not be infringed."

Quote Originally Posted by aus71383 View Post
    I always watch the guy approaching the woman in the parking lot while she's unloading her groceries/buckling her kids. That could be my wife in that situation. It's definitely a vulnerable position to be in.

Austin
    Parking lots can be scary places - especially with the distraction of buckling kids. Several years ago, I'd taken the kids to a pet store and had just gotten everyone buckled in and closed the van door when a disheveled man walked up. He said "you got babies in there?" and looked in the van windows. An old car pulled up with a much older woman driving, she yelled to him "come on Keith, let's go!" His response was "wait momma! I'm gonna git me a woman!" She yelled at him some more and he got in the car with her. Scared me to death. I pay a lot more attention to who's walking around in a parking lot now and for a long time climbed in the van with the kids, locking the door behind me before buckling them and climbing to the drivers seat.
    I laugh about the "I'm gonna git me a woman" response to his momma now but at the time it was freaky!!
    aus71383 likes this.

GH [OP]
    I'll check to see what kind of paper it was but I'd suspect something as simple as a postit note paper. I've got a stack of postits right here at my computer desk.

My LEO friend told me that this had happened in the jurisdiction next to his. His brother is an LEO there & he was the one whp put the word out.

I've heard that this is a hoax months ago. Well evidently it isn't anymore. As it was suggested maybe the hoax call on the web gave some BGs the idea.
    Glenn

USN Submarine & UDT/SEAL Veteran
    1SG, US Army Retired - Airborne Infantry All the Way!
    Special Operations Mentor
    M&P40, M&P40C

OK....urban myth or not, it makes sense. Why tempt fate?
    "Better to be judged by 12 than carried by 6"

Flight Surgeon, USAF
    Law Enforcement Tactical Surgeon

NRA Patron Member

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    Not all crooks are stupid. Some recognize a good idea when they see it on the internet.
    Retired USAF E-8. Remember: You're being watched!
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

Quote Originally Posted by Jeanlouise View Post
    This may be a "myth" but it sounds plausible to me. I'd probably see a paper on my back window before I got into the car but who knows...

I will say that I realized how vulnerable I was while loading groceries into my trunk the other day. I was busy throwing bags in, thinking about what I needed to do next and the shopping cart guy came up behind me and asked me if he could take my cart back. He scared the heck out of me, I had NO idea anyone was behind me (and he wasn't even trying to be quiet). It was a real wake up call for me.

Another very vulnerable time, for women especially, is when we're buckling kids into their car seats. Our backs are turned, we're busy, kids are talking etc. It would be so easy for someone to run past and grab our purse or worse.

Last year we had a rash of people driving past elderly women in the Wal-Mart parking lot, the person on the passanger side would lean out the window and grab the woman's purse out of her hand or off her arm and the driver would speed off. It happened in the blink of an eye and they were hard to catch, although they finally were.
    +1 to the bolded part. My grocery shopping has previously been the time when I've been at my least "aware" and most vulnerable. Packing the bags in the trunk, buckling up the kids, etc. The often routine errands parents do on a daily basis make us the softest targets for crimes of opportunity, and the safety of our families is worthy of attention to "hardening" and strengthening our situation awareness.

Changes I've made to the "parking lot" routine:
    Either the older children buckle up the little guy or I get in the back (with doors closed) to buckle him
    Purse goes inside the passenger compartment (which is locked) before I load the trunk
    My purse does not contain anything of value (phone, keys, and wallet are kept on person or in pockets--makes me look like a "dude," but I'm not out to win any beauty pageants either.)

I NEVER get out of my car for ANY reason without turning off the engine and removing the keys (especially with kids inside). Car's insured, but my kids aren't replaceable.
    Lish and aus71383 like this.
    EDC--XD9 Service and/or XDs-45 depending on my mood
    Soon-to-be new mama to a S&W 66-2 4"

yeah! I agree.

Quote Originally Posted by TX expat View Post
    Um, yeah. It'd be pretty hard to not spot it before I got in the car to begin with, and if they try to stick it on after I get in, they better have their go-go-gadget legs moving pretty quick!
    Member NRA
    Served in U.S.A.F.(jet engine mechanic)
    Kel-Tec P3AT
    Don't Leave Home Without It!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Links