Just received a heads up from a LEO friend

This is a discussion on Just received a heads up from a LEO friend within the Home (And Away From Home) Defense Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I got an e mail from a police officer friend of mine about a new carjacking method. The 'jackers will stick a piece of paper ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree34Likes

Thread: Just received a heads up from a LEO friend

GH [OP]

I got an e mail from a police officer friend of mine about a new carjacking method. The 'jackers will stick a piece of paper on the rear window of your car at a shopping mall or store or wherever. When you back out of your parking spot it'll be situated so you can't help but see it while checking behind you. IGNORE IT! Most people will get out of the car to see what it is. That's when they'll pounce. Your car is running, ladies will have their purses in the car, all your purchases will be there, etc. In the purse they'll likely find house keys along with a drivers license with your address, credit cards, Social Security card, money. You might have a gun between the seats.

The recommended action is to drive on, maybe all the way home or at least far enough away before you check what the paper says. Practice a heightened situation awareness & make sure nobody is following you. Call the local PD & let them know what you suspect.
    Glenn

USN Submarine & UDT/SEAL Veteran
    1SG, US Army Retired - Airborne Infantry All the Way!
    Special Operations Mentor
    M&P40, M&P40C

2. Remove Ads

Weird. Sounds a lot like that internet myth about the guys chalking the tires of cars parked at a gun show.

Huh. Thanks for sharing.
    I have a very strict gun control policy: if there's a gun around, I want to be in control of it.
    Clint Eastwood

Quote Originally Posted by kb2wji View Post
    Weird. Sounds a lot like that internet myth about the guys chalking the tires of cars parked at a gun show.
    Yeah, I thought that. Better to be aware and not need it than need it and not be aware, I always say. Well, I said it once.
    Supraman762, RonCo and aus71383 like this.
    I have a very strict gun control policy: if there's a gun around, I want to be in control of it.
    Clint Eastwood

VIP Member
    Best thing to do is drive on like the OP stated.

Another good practice is to NOT go to the mall @ night, that way you are able to see what is going on, what may look suspicious around your vehicle, etc, etc.

Try to get all shopping done early on, like in Oct. Nov.
    That way you aren't rushed into scrambling at the last minute with your guard down.
    If you want to make God laugh, tell him your plans.

Washington didn't use his freedom of speech to defeat the British, He shot them!

Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it whether it exists or not, diagnosing it incorrectly, and applying the wrong remedy." -- Ernest Benn

VIP Member
    Um, yeah. It'd be pretty hard to not spot it before I got in the car to begin with, and if they try to stick it on after I get in, they better have their go-go-gadget legs moving pretty quick!
    Idahokid and DFuller like this.

Crowman likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Stan6406 View Post
    Perhaps the bad guys read Snopes and though "Hey! Good idea!".
    Jeanlouise, aus71383 and StevePVB like this.
    Clint Eastwood

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    I throw the flyers on the ground before I get in. If the mall/shopping center doesn't like it, maybe they should prohibit the distribution of flyers.
    Retired USAF E-8. Remember: You're being watched!
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

VIP Member
    This may be a "myth" but it sounds plausible to me. I'd probably see a paper on my back window before I got into the car but who knows...

I will say that I realized how vulnerable I was while loading groceries into my trunk the other day. I was busy throwing bags in, thinking about what I needed to do next and the shopping cart guy came up behind me and asked me if he could take my cart back. He scared the heck out of me, I had NO idea anyone was behind me (and he wasn't even trying to be quiet). It was a real wake up call for me.

Another very vulnerable time, for women especially, is when we're buckling kids into their car seats. Our backs are turned, we're busy, kids are talking etc. It would be so easy for someone to run past and grab our purse or worse.

Last year we had a rash of people driving past elderly women in the Wal-Mart parking lot, the person on the passanger side would lean out the window and grab the woman's purse out of her hand or off her arm and the driver would speed off. It happened in the blink of an eye and they were hard to catch, although they finally were.
    Lish and MamaMaria like this.
    It may be that your sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.

http://www.timeanddate.com/countdown...eaves%20office

This is why I never look in my rearview.
    TX expat, Brad426 and aus71383 like this.

Myth or not, the way I see it, it's just another tid bit of intel to file away in the back of your head for future reference.

It may be nothing, but if it were ever to happen to my car, I now know to be on alert and ignore it until I'm out of the area. I try to always be in what I call an intelligence gathering mode wherever I'm at. Always taking things in, and filing it away for future reference.
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

My husband always gives me a hard time because I never put the top up when I go in a store, now I've got one more reason to give him! Usually it's "you could slash right through the top and gain access (or just make the rip bigger lol) or "she's in such bad shape who's going to want her"?! - dont get me wrong i love her, but i know her - shes got a good personality but she's not much to look at! Now it's going to be "if I don't have a rear window, no one can put a bogus flyer on it and trick me into stealing my running car!!"

Even if I got fooled, they may get my purse but wouldn't get my gun, it's on my hip....

It is something to be aware of - even if it's a myth on snopes now, some fool may decide to try it...
    aus71383 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by GH View Post
    IGNORE IT! Most people will get out of the car to see what it is. That's when they'll pounce. Your car is running ...
    Only if one is dumb enough to exit a running car and leaving the keys behind.

Wouldn't occur to me to do anything other than pulling into another parking space, then checking. My keys and valuables (other than items in trunk) don't leave me, whether I exit the vehicle or not. And I don't exit a running vehicle. Who knows what others will do, but I've never seen the point of doing anything else. Among other things, for the reasons you've indicated.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ccw9mm View Post
    Only if one is dumb enough to exit a running car and leaving the keys behind.

Wouldn't occur to me to do anything other than pulling into another parking space, then checking. My keys and valuables (other than items in trunk) don't leave me, whether I exit the vehicle or not. And I don't exit a running vehicle. Who knows what others will do, but I've never seen the point of doing anything else. Among other things, for the reasons you've indicated.
    Dude, I do it all the time. I usually get the car moving pretty good before I hop out, but I've yet to have anyone actually try to take the car after I hop out. Most folks seem to to want to get pretty far away from it, actually.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links