Simple action we can take now

This is a discussion on Simple action we can take now within the Home (And Away From Home) Defense Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Originally Posted by RightsEroding There are commercial air disasters every so often that take the lives of many. Rare..but they happen. Ummm..how about new designs ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree17Likes

Thread: Simple action we can take now

Quote Originally Posted by RightsEroding View Post
    There are commercial air disasters every so often that take the lives of many. Rare..but they happen.

Ummm..how about new designs in aircraft that deploy a ballistic chute to safely bring the aircraft to rest?
    How about killing every single bird in NYC so bird strikes are a thing of the past?
    How about monitoring pilots 48 hrs prior to flying to insure no alcohol is ingested?

Shall I continue?
    Nah. Just eliminating anything above a 30-seat Brasilia would do the trick. High-cap planes are the "debbul" ...
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

2. Remove Ads

StarPD45
    Quote Originally Posted by yz9890 View Post
    I understand what you're saying here and the government has historically been willing to throw all kinds of money into schools. so you'd think additional security measures would be an easy addition. However, my estimation on the number of flights that have an air marshal on board would be a small fraction of 1 percent so that comparison doesn't work very well.

I'd love there to be a larger armed presence at our schools. If Louisville for example would stop bussing kids across town based on race (like the rest of the country did 40+ years ago) they could park over 900 school busses a day. the money saved there could deploy a heck of a security force.
    If they would lay off most of the upper "management" in the school districts, they could afford it.

In the high school where my wife teaches, there are armed deputies on duty all day.
    They also have panic buttons in every classroom.

I sent this to a LEO friend:

Massad Ayoob

He agreed but said retired LEOs would be a good idea based on their training. He also said a uniformed presence gets more attention.

Back in high school there was an incident, while I was there in the mid 90's.
    I was in precalc and lunch period was going on. (We went to lunch at staggered times by grade). During the lecture, we heard a gun shot. Everyone ran to the window, much to the chagrin of the teacher, to see what was going on.
    Some punk, from the local projects, who didn't even go to the school, was down in the commons area waving a gun in the air. He had a fight earlier with his girlfriend, who did go to the school, and came to settle up. Well, he couldn't track her down so, he was milling around the commons area waving his gun around and yelling at no one in particular. All of the students were down on the ground or crouching behind the short wall in the commons, terrified. He did this for what seemed like forever. (Probably only a few moments, though. You know, that whole stress causing time perception to shift). Anyway, as he was turned back toward the cafeteria, he turned his back on the front office. Suddenly there was this blinding flash of blue and gunman was on the ground with a rather large Melbourne Police officer on top of him. Officer Byrd, a very intimidating mountain of a man (about 6'4" and prob 250lb), was our campus resource officer. He must have been in the front office waiting for the gunman to let his guard down. One officer had single handedly ended what could have otherwise been a very bad, and bloody, situation. As a result, I fully support the idea of armed officers at schools. He didn't need to use his gun in this instance but, I would say that was just a lucky break. I can very well see how he would have needed it, in different circumstances. I know that posting a cop at every school could be a cost issue and I think that armed, and trained, teachers/administrators would be a good answer to that problem.

Sorry For the long post
    "Sooner or later we all must die. Warriors choose to do so on their feet, standing between their enemies and those they hold dear. With a weapon in their hands. Cowards choose to do so on their bellies. Unarmed."

- Dave Gell

Distinguished Member Array BigStick's Avatar
    Yeah, but he's just a gun nut that wants to propogate weapons of Mas destruction... We can't trust him!

Oh, wait, he is one of the most trusted experts on self-defense... Well, we still can't trust him because he probably voted for Romney which makes him racist...
    Last edited by BigStick; December 20th, 2012 at 05:22 PM. Reason: Added emphasis to make sure people got the pun.
    Walk softly ...

Distinguished Member Array noway2's Avatar

Simple action we can take now

I can't help but wonder if the biggest advantage to eliminating the GFZ in/around schools wouldn't be psychological?
    A coworker talks about two areas near Detroit both having robbery issues. In one a public advertisement was made that shop owners were now armed for protection. Robberies drop immediately. In the other, the shops were armed, but it was kept quiet. After a couple of DRT robbery victims, the robberies plummeted.
    Just removing the label of GFZ and adding uncertainty could make a difference. Similarly, just the idea that there may be covert guards (eq to air marshals) could make a real difference.

Heard on the news about a California mayor beefing up school security by randomly scheduling uniformed and un-uniformed LEOS to patrol. His thought are that if the news is out that there are more LEOs present, but you don't know when or where, it might deter a possible BG.
    US Air Force, 1986 - 2007

"To disarm the people is the best and most effective way to enslave them..." George Mason

Distinguished Member Array BigStick's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by mano3 View Post
    Heard on the news about a California mayor beefing up school security by randomly scheduling uniformed and un-uniformed LEOS to patrol. His thought are that if the news is out that there are more LEOs present, but you don't know when or where, it might deter a possible BG.
    That sounds like a step in the right direction. Very similar to our own mindest of wanting more concealed carriers in general to make the bad guys question wether or not their next victim will be armed.
    Walk softly ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Links