Simple action we can take now

This is a discussion on Simple action we can take now within the Home (And Away From Home) Defense Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I'm flummoxed. I've heard no discussion about the most obvious action that can be taken to make our schools safer. Something simple. Something we can ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree17Likes

Thread: Simple action we can take now

I'm flummoxed. I've heard no discussion about the most obvious action that can be taken to make our schools safer. Something simple. Something we can do right now. An action that doesn't require changes in laws. Something that won't further tear our country apart. Something effective.

For goodness sakes, put armed police in schools. Most would-be assailants are going to think twice if they know there are a couple of officers with AR-15s present. And any actual attempt would be cut fairly short.

It is a simple budgetary issue.

-john

2. Remove Ads

Administrator
    I wish it were that simple.

I'm not in disagreement, but why not just a dad? Why not the janitor? Why does it have to be a police officer? If it because the assumption that an officer is trained to handle such situations, you've bought into a fallacy that has been sold to the public for years. The officers that do have that type of training and expertise are at a premium. I say grab some willing parent volunteers, staff volunteers, train them up to standard and work it that way. Training is quick and relatively cheap in comparison to paying a LEO salary to sit stationary doing a job that uses 1/10th of the skill set he has.

Or we can use Obamas brown shirt brigade.
    aus71383, mano3, BigStick and 4 others like this.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Re: Simple action we can take now

Liability issues. Parent trust issues. Political image issues.

Sent from my HTC One X using Tapatalk 2
    GGs
    BGs

”Gun control is like trying to reduce drunk driving by making it tougher for sober people to own cars.”

Sixto, I'm totally in favor of allowing staff to voluntarily CCW. That said, we all know that isn't likely to be remotely considered anywhere but a very few places.

My point here is that this is something that should be agreeable to everyone, and something that can happen now.

Hopefully over time the other thing can happen too. But in the mean time, we should direct everyone's energy away from fighting about things, and focus on what we can agree on.

Will the result be perfect security? Of course not. Should we stop there? No. But I drove by my local grade school today and there was a cruiser flying the colors in the middle of the drop-off zone. Did they have the anti-terrorism task force there? Probably not, but I bet someone would still think twice before trying to show up there and hurt people.

I get your point about it being everyone's job. I recognize and take seriously that I am personally responsible for my own safety and that of my family. That said, for whatever reason, this is a topic that people have a difficult time being rational about. And I'd rather them put energy into finding some bucks to employ police which might do some actual good instead damaging the country further.

-john

We have armed police in our High Schools here in South Texas. Our school district has its own police force separate from the city's PD.
    paching likes this.

I'll post this again...(I've lost count now)

Here are a few ideas we should try first:

Build safe rooms in schools.

Install better doors in the classrooms.

Install impenetrable quarantine doors/gates that can be activated during an active shooter emergency.

There are probably a few more things we could add to this list if we all take a moment to THINK of solutions instead of infringements.

Here are a few more:

Install better exterior doors and window that are bullet proof.

Have a single entry point with two sets of remotely controlled locking doors which creates a secure vestibule.

Access control systems on all doors.
    BugDude, KBSR and bigmacque like this.
    Regards,
    1MoreGoodGuy
    NRA Life Member
    GOA Life Member

Behave Like Someone Who is Determined to be FREE!

Quote Originally Posted by bzdog View Post
    I've heard no discussion about the most obvious action that can be taken to make our schools safer.

For goodness sakes, put armed police in schools.
    Many, many essays, articles and discussions have appeared in the past several days on exactly that, among other fairly effective steps.

Though most essays, articles and discussions have been about the screaming for erasure of weaponry from our midst. And nearly as many kicking around the variously-changing "facts" so far made available about the Newtown situation.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Distinguished Member Array Paymeister's Avatar
    [not really trying to hijack the thread, but I feel pretty strongly about this]

Not to mention the discussion which takes on the basic assumption: who says it's the government's job to teach our kids?

Patently obvious is that the government:

* Teaches what they want, not what we want,
    * Does a poor job of it (unless an uneducated and self-centered population is what they want... hm...), and
    * Fails to protect our kids from violence (ranging from shooters to school bullies) and corrupted morals.

My wife and I are both certificated teachers and know what the schools do. We homeschooled our daughter.

100% of the administrators and teachers at my daughter's [home]school carried, and would without a doubt have given their life to protect her.
    Last edited by Paymeister; December 19th, 2012 at 10:31 AM.

I have voiced my concern about our "soft targets" here in America since 9-11. Like everything, nobody takes the threat seriously until the damage is done. We continue to think "It will never happen here" and live in denial. We spent gazillions of dollars on airline security, to include the hardening of cockpit doors, but nothing on our schools, malls, theaters, and other places where the masses (sheep) gather.

Everything 1MoreGoodGuy mentions should have been done, years ago. Add a two person (minimum) security team to each location, with the proper training and equipment to "hold the fort" until reinforcements can arrive. These security teams can be retired law enforcement and/or former military folks. Doesn't have to be overly expensive. Do away with the ignorant "Gun Free Zones".

Nothing will change as long as we keep our heads in the sand, thinking we're immune to crazies with evil intent, whether it be the mental defective like it was last week, or the terrorist cell who lives to kill the infidel.

Be safe.
    wingryder and 1MoreGoodGuy like this.
    " But if you are authorized to carry a weapon, and you walk outside without it, just take a deep breath, and say this to yourself... Baa." Col. Dave Grossman on Sheep and Sheepdogs.

Distinguished Member
    Quote Originally Posted by 1MoreGoodGuy View Post
    I'll post this again...(I've lost count now)

Here are a few ideas we should try first:

Build safe rooms in schools.

Install better doors in the classrooms.

Install impenetrable quarantine doors/gates that can be activated during an active shooter emergency.

There are probably a few more things we could add to this list if we all take a moment to THINK of solutions instead of infringements.

Here are a few more:

Install better exterior doors and window that are bullet proof.

Have a single entry point with two sets of remotely controlled locking doors which creates a secure vestibule.

Access control systems on all doors.
    Minus the bulletproof glass and safe rooms, most schools have these features and have had them a while.

I like the idea of armed people at schools, police/millitary/teachers/volunteers - anybody. I hate hearing the "can't afford it" argument too, that never stopped politicians from other programs they've wanted to start.
    The stupidity of some people NEVER ceases to amaze me.

G19 AIWB

If the government can afford to have us marshalls on every flight, they can afford trained, armed security personnel at every school, be it uniformed or in civilian clothing. Heck, sign me up. I'll quit my graveyard security position in a heartbeat.
    Why?? Because at the last second, the Police are minutes away.

MJK
    Add this to the list of solutions: active shooter response plans which are practiced by srudents, staff and local LE at least as often as they have fire drills. Staff must also be trained to correctly respond.
    Last edited by MJK; December 19th, 2012 at 09:33 AM.
    [T]he unlimited power of the sword is not in the hands of either the federal or state governments, but, where I trust in God it will ever remain, in the hands of the people. ---Tenche Coxe, The Pennsylvania Gazette, Feb. 20, 1788.

Quote Originally Posted by paching View Post
    If the government can afford to have us marshalls on every flight, they can afford trained, armed security personnel at every school, be it uniformed or in civilian clothing. Heck, sign me up. I'll quit my graveyard security position in a heartbeat.
    I understand what you're saying here and the government has historically been willing to throw all kinds of money into schools. so you'd think additional security measures would be an easy addition. However, my estimation on the number of flights that have an air marshal on board would be a small fraction of 1 percent so that comparison doesn't work very well.

I'd love there to be a larger armed presence at our schools. If Louisville for example would stop bussing kids across town based on race (like the rest of the country did 40+ years ago) they could park over 900 school busses a day. the money saved there could deploy a heck of a security force.

Distinguished Member Array RightsEroding's Avatar
    Why?

There are commercial air disasters every so often that take the lives of many. Rare..but they happen.

Ummm..how about new designs in aircraft that deploy a ballistic chute to safely bring the aircraft to rest?
    How about killing every single bird in NYC so bird strikes are a thing of the past?
    How about monitoring pilots 48 hrs prior to flying to insure no alcohol is ingested?

Shall I continue?
    "When those who are governed do too little, those who govern can, and will, do too much." Ronald Reagan

Do what you can; then do what you must

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    Our local schools are laying off after this year and closing some schools. I suppose that would make armed security more affordable as fewer guards would be needed.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links