Weird transaction today, good ending, no crimes.

This is a discussion on Weird transaction today, good ending, no crimes. within the Home (And Away From Home) Defense Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I had a snowmobile advertised on Craigslist here in California's Sierra Nevada Mountains. Its kind of a tough sell, a 2006 Polaris RMK 900 with ...

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Crowman

Thread: Weird transaction today, good ending, no crimes.

Distinguished Member Array Arborigine's Avatar

I had a snowmobile advertised on Craigslist here in California's Sierra Nevada Mountains. Its kind of a tough sell, a 2006 Polaris RMK 900 with under 1000 miles on it. Not a popular sled because the preceeding year had serious engine defects. I got a call at 6:30 last night, caller ID says "Cell phone, Florida". The guy says he is about 50 miles north of me on a winter RV trip and they are buying the exact same sled early morning from a guy in Reno, and want to buy mine with trailer before noon. We discuss things and settle on a price, in cash. Then he asks me to deliver it and meet at the town market, for an extra payment for fuel, as motorhomes really eat gas. OK, I'll play, I have friends that need visiting there. He shows up, not in the pickup with hitch he said he would, but a car without one. He has his dad (about 50, seems nice enough) with him, he inspects the sled and likes it, and flashes a stack of cash. Now, I'm not too worried, because the usual CL robbery involves baiting someone to show up with cash, not a registered vehicle. He asks if i can follow him back to his brother's, near a small town known for drug addicts, although I'm not feeling the junkie vibe that I am good at detecting. OK, I have my .45 on my hip and an LCP in my Carharrt. Driving along I called a buddy on the cell and gave him a plate number road name, and description, told him I was going out of cell range and he should hear from me in two hours. Then the car pulls over, the guy comes back and says 'Dad's going to go back and get a 2 inch tow ball, I'll ride with you, I said OK. While he was going back to tell dad, I pulled .45 from right hip and put it under left thigh. We go down a long dead end forested road, and up a driveway. "Bro" comes out showing neck tattoos. Now I'm a bit concerned, but spot the motorhome and the other Polaris. The guy then pulls out $5500 in twenties and tens, neatly rubber banded in $500 bundles. I didn't see any signs of counterfeit, so I count it, sign some papers, all the while not letting anyone get behind me. We shake hands and i went home happy and relieved. Much ado about nothing, but my lesson is that it's not always as bad as it appears. Improvise, adapt, overcome. These guys are heading to Idaho, Jackson Hole, Yellowstone, etc. I wish i could go.
    I don't always have nothing to say, but when I do, I post it on Facebook.

A crap shoot that worked out... they don't always... Glad it worked for you......
    Lish likes this.
    "One of the greatest delusions in the world is the hope that the evils in this world are to be cured by legislation."
    --Thomas B. Reed, American Attorney

Second Amendment -- Established December 15, 1791 and slowly eroded ever since What happened to "..... shall not be infringed."

Distinguished Member Array Brady's Avatar
    WOW, glad it worked out for you, but I don't think I would have done that.
    ...he that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one. Luke 22:36
    USN/VET; NRA; GOA, jpfo.org
    Life in a Jar: The Irena Sendler Project www.irenasendler.com

No way I would've let someone ride with me. You've either got bigger child makers than me or something!
    "Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everyone you meet."
    -General James Mattis, USMC

Sounds like your spidey senses were working for you... but a little unsettling, no?
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

Glad it ended well,It's very possible we could be critiquing how some guy was selling his snowmobile and got killed,they found him in the stolen vehicle with the tag number he gave his buddy etc
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    I'd have told him give me the money and I'll leave the trailer chained to the parking lot lamppost until you can get back to pick it up. I don't live in the popular world of paranoia, but I don't purposely place myself in risky situations either.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

mkh
    I'm glad it worked out. I'll bet it was a little unnerving tough.

It is really sad statement on our society when we are forced to be overly cautious and expect the worse in innocent situations like this. The bad guy lowlifes have made us distrusting of everyone. I wish it wasn't this way.

Whew.. you've got some bigger ga-ho-knee's than I.. glad all is well for you. AND you have cash for new toys, say the ones that go bang.
    EDC: M&P 9*2
    PHIL.4:13

NRA

VIP Member
    Good ending to a crazy tale!

One thing I've found is that plenty of people really do lack the total understanding of what creates a bad situation. They don't pay attention to details and think nothing of changing stuff up midstream; never realizing how it might be perceived. I've been in some similar situations and I'm firmly convinced that these sorts of folks just don't have a clue. At least that's the way I'm going to take it since I'd rather not think that I'm overly paranoid and need to lighten up!

Distinguished Member Array Arborigine's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by TX expat View Post
    Good ending to a crazy tale!
    One thing I've found is that plenty of people really do lack the total understanding of what creates a bad situation. They don't pay attention to details and think nothing of changing stuff up midstream; never realizing how it might be perceived. I've been in some similar situations and I'm firmly convinced that these sorts of folks just don't have a clue. At least that's the way I'm going to take it since I'd rather not think that I'm overly paranoid and need to lighten up!
    There it is. I have been buying and selling a lot of items over the past few years and have run a cross some good business people, and many others who are totally clueless, but almost all of them have been good, decent people. Sometimes I have to do the dance to make a deal, or decide to walk away. I am a big boy and can handle myself in an altercation, but always remember the motto "Be prepared" and that "a fight avoided is a fight won". I live on the State highway and can sell things just by putting them in front yard. Last week i sold a 1952 Jeep M38A1, a full-size Aermotor windmill, and a P-38 fighter drop tank while making money doing work to another Jeep. My partner and I have been doing the "pickers" thing for around 15 years, and run across all kinds when knocking on doors. Most of them are nice folks, and a pleasure to meet, but a few are not. As we do so with a pocket full of cash, my local Sheriff thought that was a great reason for a CCW and we spent a lot more time talking about that than what his basic personal interview required. He said he would like to try that when he retires. I have called him back a few times about possible meth labs sites and stolen property dumps. In order to be good at the business of buying and selling odd items from strange locations, I have to be able to adapt, think fast, and pay attention to small details. Situational awareness goes far beyond self-defense, it is important in business and in personal interactions.
    Last night at the Elementary school play, I told a friend about the snowmobile deal, without mentioning weapons (and he does not know about my CCW), and he says kinda loud "Did you bring your gun?" . I am surrounded by parents in a school gymnasium and it got a little quiet around me. I responded "I was a Boy Scout, were you?", and the surround conversations continued. THAT may have been the worst moment of the day, almost getting made. Later on I was talking to a school official that has a ccw, and he told me after the last shooting he has seen a lot more people picking up the kids armed, but very poorly concealed.
    I don't always have nothing to say, but when I do, I post it on Facebook.

Lead Moderator
    No thanks I usually bring a buddy and don't take risks like that.
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

Quote Originally Posted by Arborigine View Post
    Last night at the Elementary school play, I told a friend about the snowmobile deal, without mentioning weapons (and he does not know about my CCW), and he says kinda loud "Did you bring your gun?" . I am surrounded by parents in a school gymnasium and it got a little quiet around me. I responded "I was a Boy Scout, were you?", and the surround conversations continued. THAT may have been the worst moment of the day, almost getting made. Later on I was talking to a school official that has a ccw, and he told me after the last shooting he has seen a lot more people picking up the kids armed, but very poorly concealed.
    If I were them, I'd work on the conceal part. Now is NOT the time to get the MWAG call at a school. I can picture all the dads standing around, waiting for their kids just looking at one another.
    Vietnam Vets, WELCOME HOME

Crossman 760 BB/Pellet, Daisy Red Ryder, Crossman Wrist Rocket, 14 Steak Knives, 3 Fillet Knives, Rolling Pin-14", Various Hunting Knives, 2 Baseball Bats, 3 Big Dogs and a big American Flag flying in the yard. I have no firearms; Try the next house.

Links