To sweep or Not To sweep?

This is a discussion on To sweep or Not To sweep? within the Home (And Away From Home) Defense Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Originally Posted by oFant0mo Well you dont have to, for someone like me this is more of a question that is influential in my decision ...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree17Likes

Thread: To sweep or Not To sweep?

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by oFant0mo View Post
    Well you dont have to, for someone like me this is more of a question that is influential in my decision making system for such an event.

My son is in the bedroom next to mine, I have 2 dogs, one tends not to wake up and if an intruder is silent enough getting in he would need to be OUTSIDE my door for the dog to know. v0v

I think I would wait near the top of the stairs in my house to see if I can definitivly hear this individual or not. that puts me in the high ground, out of danger, and inbetween me and my family. But I say that to have you more expert fellers tell me what is and what is not a good idea.
    I don't believe you even have Castle Doctrine protection in New Jersey. Anything I might suggest to you would probably not apply, given where you live.
    "When you have to shoot, shoot, don't talk."
    Tuco

2. Remove Ads

Quote Originally Posted by Mike1956 View Post
    I don't believe you even have Castle Doctrine protection in New Jersey. Anything I might suggest to you would probably not apply, given where you live.
    No we do, its a special version of the Doctrine. Essentially we cannot use deadly force unless the threat for lethal force is there. So we can only rise to meet the lethal force. However a good lawyer can make that case and get you out of the trouble for protecting your family.

VIP Member
    No we do, its a special version of the Doctrine. Essentially we cannot use deadly force unless the threat for lethal force is there. So we can only rise to meet the lethal force. However a good lawyer can make that case and get you out of the trouble for protecting your family.
    Whereas I, as an Ohio resident can use lethal force with much less justification. Good lawyers do not come cheap.
    "When you have to shoot, shoot, don't talk."
    Tuco

As posted, I take my cue from my dogs. We have an upstairs bedroom, as do the dogs. The stairway is a choke point that I have complete control over, both visually, and field of fire. There are an abundance of "tools" available to me in our bedroom. Unless I can be 110% positive of ...

1. is there someone inside?
    2. how many are there?
    3. where are they?
    4. are they armed?
    5. how are they armed?

...and still believe I have an advantage....

I'm stayin' put and calling 911... the "night time" LEO is only 50 yards away.... small town... one cop for days, and one for nights...
    Attached Images
    NRA Life Member ... Marine Corps League Life Member
    Freedom has a flavor the protected can never taste...
    USMC 8652, 2531, RVN Jun '67, - May 69

Some of my toys....

Arm the dog, release, wait for commotion to cease, call ServPro.
    StarPD45 likes this.
    North Carolina Concealed Handgun Permit Instructor
    NRA Personal Protection and Basic Pistol Instructor

Re: To sweep or Not To sweep?

servepro lol... We have tl rely on state police here

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

Quote Originally Posted by Darrow75 View Post
    If it didn't wake up my dogs, the bump in the night was one of the cats. I'd roll over and go back to sleep.
    Ditto. The dog is how I filter harmless bumps from serious ones. If it doesn't bother the dogs, it's harmless. They do have an "I'm not sure, that might have been something" bark, but even to that one I'm more incline to just listen and see if it escalates or if they settle back down.

One night I heard what I *swear* sounded like something falling onto the bathroom floor. The rest of the house was hardwood, but the bathroom had cheap linoleum that sounded different. My dog also heard it, and was perked up alert too. She shook her head and decided it wasn't anything serious. I got up to pee since I was awake anyway. There was nothing in the bathroom floor that could have fallen making the noise we heard. Curious, I checked the rest of the house for anything out of place. Didn't find a thing. At least Dusti heard it too, so I know I'm not crazy or that I didn't dream it. I don't think we had ghosts.

If you feel safer investigating every little bump yourself, well it's your house.
    I feel perfectly safe leaving it up to the one with the best hearing.
    ruger91 likes this.
    I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people and I expect the same from them. -- John Wayne as John B. Books in "The Shootist"

Need more information to fully answer the question. Are you alone in the house? Do you have a spouse/significant other there with you?

If I am alone or with significant other, the best tactic to remain alive would be to wake up (critically important) and make sure I'm in fact hearing an intruder, and not some ambient noise. Once I've confirmed my earlier belief, I'd take my firearm, cell phone, SureFire flashlight and significant other to cover (not concealment) within my bedroom, and wait for the trouble to come to me. I have the advantage of cover, and will have the drop on the subject if they come to my br door.

If there are others in the house, I'd have to advance towards the threat, using my knowledge of the home to my advantage, and the light only when necessary.

Good luck and stay safe.
    " But if you are authorized to carry a weapon, and you walk outside without it, just take a deep breath, and say this to yourself... Baa." Col. Dave Grossman on Sheep and Sheepdogs.

To sweep or Not To sweep?

I have two Beagles...best they might do is bark but more likely to go lick the intruder and beg for a treat LOL

Have 3 kids and a split level home. I would be out the door of my bedroom and on my way to theirs in a heart beat. Gun would be in a holster in the pocket of my bathrobe. More likely then not it would be my children making the noise and no reason to scare them.

We did recently have my wife's truck broken into in our driveway in the middle of the night so I do investigate all noises now. Too little too late for the items in the truck but I'm hoping they come back

We must reject the idea that every time a law's broken, society is guilty rather than the law breaker. It is time to restore the American precept that each individual is responsible for his actions....Ronald Reagan

Keep night lights in the house,and keep the hallway to your rooms darkened,thet way if somebody comes sneaking they will be slhouetted by the light behind them and you will be in the dark all "Ninja'd" out,If I see a BG he gets warning shots fired COM til I don't need to warn him anymore
    Crowbait likes this.
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

If you own the house, then go see what the noise was.

Response

1. My little guard dog chihuahua would be burying her head under the covers shaking like a leaf.
    2. I'd grab my "night defender" 9 mil with redneck attached led light.
    3. Slowly gravitate to source of noise.
    4. Be alert as not to be surprised by 16 year old going bump in the night.
    5. Once sound investigated return to comfy warm bed with shivering dog.....

-Tony
    Attached Images

PM
    Neither of my dogs are barkers; infact I am not sure the lab mix would bark during the day at an unknown noise. Both do alert on unknown noises. The Lab mix will bark, a very scarey growl/bark, at some one unknown coming up the walk. In fact had a AC repair guy not wanting in till I put him outside or kenneled hom in the house. Told him; as long as I allowed him in the dog was not problem and that he could come in and out after being let in no problem. The flip side was I kinda like knowing Bear, the Lab mix, would protect and serve that way, I and my wife were gone; she took me to get my car from the shop and head to work and I was going to pay for the car and get home quick knowing the AC guys were coming; they got to the house before I did and our son was home alone!

As for checking out the noise; I would watch to see if it was the kid if not well . . . forget the dog beware of the owner!

If I hear a strange noise I will turn on the frontroom light, front and back lights. I can do that from my bedroom. I will then look down the hall to see if anything strange is going on. If I think it is necessary I will dial 911 on my cell phone, not the house phone. I have 4 phones around the house and they could listen in. I will not check out the house if I think someone is in there, I will wait for the sheriff dept.

RKM
    So you are asleep in your bed and hear a bump in the night, your dog hasn't woken up but you know you heard it. Being the paranoid individual you are, you consider what to do.

- Do you go investigate? Do you take your weapon?

- If you hear more noise, and almost can confirm that you believe something is wrong, do you secure your weapon and investigate? Or do you Secure your weapon and barricade yourself in your room?

- And if you ARE investigating in a WORST case scenario, what is your loadout? Gun/Holster? Gun/Extra Mag? Light?
    If I'm awoken by a noise, I'll likely wait for a minute. I have a gun within arms reach of the bed. If I continue to hear the noise, depending on what the noise is, I may call 911, or go investigate. If it's a rustling sound or something that may just sound like my dog up to no good, I'd grab my firearm and check it out. If I hear the voice of two men talking quietly, I'm likely going to stay put, and I pray for THEM, that they don't find me. If I am to leave the room, likely the only thing I'll have is underwear, a pair of shoes (if I remember), and my M&P45 with a TLR-1 attached. If it is truly a worst case scenario and I must leave my room, I'm grabbing my AR.

Of course, this is my response right now. Everybody's got a plan, until they get punched in the mouth.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Links