To sweep or Not To sweep?

This is a discussion on To sweep or Not To sweep? within the Home (And Away From Home) Defense Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; So you are asleep in your bed and hear a bump in the night, your dog hasn't woken up but you know you heard it. ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree17Likes

Thread: To sweep or Not To sweep?

So you are asleep in your bed and hear a bump in the night, your dog hasn't woken up but you know you heard it. Being the paranoid individual you are, you consider what to do.

- Do you go investigate? Do you take your weapon?

- If you hear more noise, and almost can confirm that you believe something is wrong, do you secure your weapon and investigate? Or do you Secure your weapon and barricade yourself in your room?

- And if you ARE investigating in a WORST case scenario, what is your loadout? Gun/Holster? Gun/Extra Mag? Light?

I would grab my S&W Shield and light on the end table next to me. Get into a good position were I would not easily be seen through the door and wait.
    pir8fan likes this.
    ALWAYS CARRY - NEVER TELL

NRA MEMBER
    GOA MEMBER

Friend of Bill

mkh
    It all depends on the circumstances. Single or married with no children then hunker down and secure your area. Small kids at home, then it's a different story and how to respond is going to be based on your house layout and where the children are located. Too many variables involved.

I do know that unless you have no other alternative (rare case) then you don't need to be clearing your house alone. There is a reason why LEOs clear a house with 4 or 5 men teals

Wake the dog, close the bedroom door, get gun and telephone and wait to see, or hear, what the dog does.
    Brad426 likes this.
    "If you make something idiot proof, someone will make a better idiot."

- Anon

Quote Originally Posted by high pockets View Post
    Wake the dog, close the bedroom door, get gun and telephone and wait to see, or hear, what the dog does.
    +1 on this. I'm not going out clearing the house unless I have to.
    I have a very strict gun control policy: if there's a gun around, I want to be in control of it.
    Clint Eastwood

I love Tiberius/Maggie.

VIP Member
    I've got no dog, I'm not paranoid, law enforcement is twenty minutes from my house, and I live in a Castle Doctrine state. Beyond that, you are talking tactics, and I generally don't discuss tactics publicly.
    oneshot, mg27 and thephanatik like this.
    The hardest thing to explain is the glaringly evident which everybody had decided not to see.
    Ayn Rand

If it didn't wake up my dogs, the bump in the night was one of the cats. I'd roll over and go back to sleep.

Well you dont have to, for someone like me this is more of a question that is influential in my decision making system for such an event.

My son is in the bedroom next to mine, I have 2 dogs, one tends not to wake up and if an intruder is silent enough getting in he would need to be OUTSIDE my door for the dog to know. v0v

I think I would wait near the top of the stairs in my house to see if I can definitivly hear this individual or not. that puts me in the high ground, out of danger, and inbetween me and my family. But I say that to have you more expert fellers tell me what is and what is not a good idea.

Believe it or not my GS can hear a pin drop so he would respond in a heartbeat !
    Guard Dog.JPG

The wife has her LCR .38Sp on her nightstand and I have the Bersa .380 on mine.
    Separate bedrooms guys. married for 60 years and counting.

I may have to upgrade to the Sig P220C .45 ???

Quote Originally Posted by Jaybm View Post

Believe it or not my GS can hear a pin drop so he would respond in a heartbeat !

Married for 60 years and counting.

I may have to upgrade to the Sig P220C .45 ???
    Great GSD. Like ours.

Congrats on the 60 years!

Now that's funny right there...
    What kind of a dog do you have?
    My two hounds hear everything, long before I do.
    They can hear me on the far side of the house trying to 'quietly' open a box of crackers...I don't know how they do it.

To the OP...
    I don't use 'investigate' and 'secure the weapon' in the same sentence.
    If I hear a noise, it's going to be the dogs investigating. I have pale green night lights throughout the house, so it's easy to see around corners with eyes adjusted to the dark.
    It's just my wife and I, so any other moving bodies are going to have a problem.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Re: To sweep or Not To sweep?

Quote Originally Posted by retsupt99 View Post
    They can hear me on the far side of the house trying to 'quietly' open a box of crackers...I don't know how they do it.

To the OP...
    I don't use 'investigate' and 'secure the weapon' in the same sentence.
    If I hear a noise, it's going to be the dogs investigating. I have pale green night lights throughout the house, so it's easy to see around corners with eyes adjusted to the dark.
    It's just my wife and I, so any other moving bodies are going to have a problem.
    Yeah, I'm afraid their problem will be smelly wet pants when they see the business end of that coach gun

Who needs a sub-gun when you can send 18 lead projectiles all at once the old-fashioned way?

Sent from my Galaxy S2
    Trust in God and keep your powder dry

"A heavily armed citizenry is not about overthrowing the government; it is about preventing the government from overthrowing liberty. A people stripped of their right of self defense is defenseless against their own government." -source

Quote Originally Posted by Dangerfield View Post
    I would grab my S&W Shield and light on the end table next to me. Get into a good position were I would not easily be seen through the door and wait.
    That's exactly what I would do with one exception. I'd have my 1911.

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    Yeah, let the cops shoot the cat.

My house, my rules. I'm making it safe. That's why I'm armed. Otherwise, anybody call hide and call the cops and wait. Why own a gun?
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

Quote Originally Posted by retsupt99 View Post
    That's twice in a weeks time that you have made me actually chuckle out loud. Thank you sir.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links