Game/Trail Camera for Home Security

This is a discussion on Game/Trail Camera for Home Security within the Home (And Away From Home) Defense Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I've taken a new job which will have me on the road Mon-Fri. I want to set up some kind of security surveillance system. I ...

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By OldVet

Thread: Game/Trail Camera for Home Security

I've taken a new job which will have me on the road Mon-Fri. I want to set up some kind of security surveillance system. I have an active wifi network in the home. I'm trying to do this as economically frugal as possible. I'd like to be able to check pictures remotely.

Anyone have any suggestions?

I'm thinking of Moultrie Game Camera's with the ability to have images uploaded to their website. I'd use the game camera to keep an eye on the exterior then a nanny cam set up inside.

Thanks for in advance.

VIP Member
    I think it will work, but you will probably need more than one to cover all angles of your house, or at least the weak links.
    If you want to make God laugh, tell him your plans.

Washington didn't use his freedom of speech to defeat the British, He shot them!

Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it whether it exists or not, diagnosing it incorrectly, and applying the wrong remedy." -- Ernest Benn

I never thought of this, but seems it is feasible and would work.
    "As a strong supporter of our 2nd Amendment rights, I believe tougher enforcement of our nation's existing gun laws must be done before any more laws are enacted and put on the books."
    Jeff Miller

I use some cheaper ones so I'm not familiar with the Wi-Fi capabilities of them but as long as you get a high quality one you should be fine. Make sure to get the infared, if you get the regular style the flash is a dead giveaway.

Goose
    "These days I go down to Wal-Mart and they sell 'em in the back.
    Some people wanna take 'em away, why don't you go bust them boys that's sellin' crack.
    Guns, whether Remingtons 'er Glocks.
    Come on man it ain't like I'm a slingin' 'em on the block." - Justin Moore

Please post a follow up so we know how it works..

Iíve got a Reconyx HC600 that may fit the bill due to its zero IR flash. They also make a model thatís used for a security camera. Other IR models (like the Moultries) produce a glow when triggered. My Reconyx was a little over $500, but does work exceptionally well, and Iím in the process of replacing my Moultries with them.

HC600 HyperFireô High Output Covert IR | RECONYX, Inc.

Their security models:

| RECONYX, Inc.

Chuck
    homo homini lupus est

I was just thinking of this today. Do you have any old Android phones? I just downloaded IP Webcam and installed it on an old LG Optimus V. I set it up in front of my TV as a test and used IP Camera Viewer to view it on another Android device. I can also see the video from my browser on my desktop computer. Of course almost all smartphones connect via WiFi already.

What's interesting is it looks like it's possible to listen to audio from the phone too! The IP Webcam software is free so potentially you wouldn't have to spend any money at all!

You have a slew of choices. Game cameras work, and apparently some will connect wirelessly. I don't have any experience with these.

You can get webcams and hook them to a computer with USB, and put the images on an FTP site. This works but has limitations. I use "Willing Webcam" software. USB cable length limitations, unless you go with extenders, will limit camera placement. Motion detection is a little iffy with the software - I have never gotten it to work reliably with changing light conditions. But it works for putting up photos, or several, during the day.

You can get IP wireless cameras (640x480) for $100 - Foscam is the brand I have. They have pan and tilt capabilities indoors, and fixed outdoors. They have IR so they work at night. One of the indoor models covers a room very well. Software is an issue - Blue Iris (PC - $50) seems affordable and decent, but I haven't used it. Evocam (Mac - $30) works well enough, and motion detection *seems* to work - mostly. Evocam is less a security type system, Blue Iris seems aimed more as a security type solution. Both will record pictures & video. You only need standalone software if you are trying to get fancy - record video on motion detection, store photos during the day, etc.

The cameras will also do motion, and will allow you to view them from outside your local network. They are typical "chinese crap" at this price point - limited instruction manuals and software that is not the slickest, but they seem to work. They can also be setup to FTP photos out, email, or send them on motion detection.

If your goal is to get a view or two of the inside of the house, then the indoor model (link) should work fine. Maybe two. You can browse them with a computer, or a $3 app on the iPhone of Android (I have TinyCam monitor on Android). The cameras come with a two year warranty, when bought from a dealer authorized to sell them in the US by the importer (Foscam Digital Technologies LLC) from what I can tell, there are lots sold by folks who buy them directly from China, and they may or may not have a warranty.

[Disclaimer - I don't have any relationship with Foscam - I just have a couple of their cameras]

I was in a Sam's Club yesterday and they had four different packages, each with multiple cameras and the boxes to display on your tv and to connect remotely via a laptop, tablet, smart phone.
    Prices were $499.00 to $999.00.
    Depending on how many places you're trying to see, this maybe worth checking out.

Here is a thread I started about the video system in my old house. We have since moved, that system is still in the old house and will go with it when we sell it. In our new house I put an 8 camera system, still from QSee, but it has better camera, and one PTZ camera.
    Affordable home video surveillance system.

I can monitor it from my office or my android phone, 24/7. It is set up to email me if it looses feed from any camera. The new system is capable of handling up to 16 cameras and has a 1TB hd. I still have to make some final adjustments to the camera angles, but they are pretty much as needed.

Here are some images from the current system.

41.jpg42.jpg43.jpg44.jpg45.jpg46.jpg
    Last edited by farronwolf; December 31st, 2012 at 12:34 PM.
    Just remember that shot placement is much more important with what you carry than how big a bang you get with each trigger pull.
    www.ddchl.com
    Texas CHL Instructor
    Texas Hunter Education Instructor
    NRA Instructor

One of my dads friends caught someone breaking into his home on a game camera. He didnt have wifi. He saw the images on the card when he returned and turned them into the police and they got the perp....

Thanks all.. I also should have mentioned this is a short term solution as I should have more regular hours in 4-5 months. Thanks again for all the info. I'll post follow up when the project is complete.

VIP Member
    I've got a moultrie with the pic uploader add-on. I thought it was a great idea to catch some guys in the act. I have found out I don't like moultrie cameras, they have slow trigger speeds and they tend to go to sleep and not respond at all. I missed some good BG pictures because of them. FWIW, the tech help is not in the USA. The uploader requires a paid subscription.
    Turn the election's in 2014 to a "2A Revolution". It will serve as a 1994 refresher not to "infringe" on our Second Amendment. We know who they are now.........SEND 'EM HOME. Our success in this will be proportional to how hard we work to make it happen.

The best solution is to keep criminals out with lights, warning signs and difficult entry (steel doors, etc).

The next line of defense is a monitored alarm. The cameras are to supplement the alarm. In some places police won't respond to an alarm unless the reporting party can state they can see the intruder on camera.

The object isn't to prosecute someone after they stole your stuff, the point is to keep them out in the first place, to scare them off if you can't, and catch them in the act if the first two don't work.

Cheap and frugal are words that don't match a good security camera system. We own some apartments, an office building and two homes. We have cameras on everything. We use Swann systems. I recommend the 8 line version. It's not cheap, about $6-700. There is a 4 camera version for about $400. You can view from any web connections or smart phone.

Trail cameras are fine if you can hide them or make them inaccessible. But they are an after the fact system. You want to stop a burglary, preferably before it starts, but certainly before they leave with your stuff.

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    My luck I'd come home and find the camera gone too.
    ws76133 likes this.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

Links