Specific recommendations for a semi-auto home defense pistol - Page 2

Specific recommendations for a semi-auto home defense pistol

This is a discussion on Specific recommendations for a semi-auto home defense pistol within the Home (And Away From Home) Defense Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; If you can find a used GLOCK or other reputable make, consider used vs. a new bargain basement brand....

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree8Likes

Thread: Specific recommendations for a semi-auto home defense pistol

If you can find a used GLOCK or other reputable make, consider used vs. a new bargain basement brand.

Senior Member Array wishyouwell's Avatar
    I say go with an XD or a Glock in .40... Good mix of power and speed. Not to mention if it doesn't fit your needs exactly you can convert em to a 9mm or .357 Sig with little more than a 5 min barrel swap...

Quote Originally Posted by zacii View Post
    The ammo and necessary practice to use a pistol are larger costs than the pistol itself.

Get a Glock or M&P, don't skimp; you'll regret it.

You also have to consider the supporting accessories: availability of mags, holsters, etc.
    This is all good advice. Glock, M&P, XD in a midsize will run ya anywhere around $450-$550, give or take. Don't get hung up on muzzle flash and loudness; they'll all be temporarily deafening and blinding in dark and close quarters, regardless of caliber. I've got a XD Service in 9mm (4"), and it is on the larger end of concealable, but concealable nonetheless. Glock 19 (9mm) and Glock 23 (.40S&W) are a bit more costly than the XD or M&P, but also are popular "dual-duty" defensive choices. Also, remember that training and ammo costs will add up. Training ammo for 9mm can be significantly less expensive than .40 or .45; just something to consider as well. I personally am satisfied in my choice of 9mm; defensive ammo technology is wonderful nowadays, I do not feel "under-gunned" with 16+1 of quality 9mm hollow points on board.

Our home is also an older home (think small-roomed '50s Cape Cod), and I have employed both shotgun and the XD for home defense. Shotgun is secured in the "safe room," while the XD stays within arms reach at all times.
    Bark'n likes this.
    EDC--XD9 Service and/or XDs-45 depending on my mood
    Soon-to-be new mama to a S&W 66-2 4"

Quote Originally Posted by EdJean View Post
    Easily CC'd
    1. Ruger LC9 ($330)
    2. Taurus PT709 ($300)

Not as easy CC'd
    1. Smith & Wesson SD9VE New Sigma Series ($300)
    2. Taurus PT809 ($350)

You want semi-automatic and that's fine. But with the pending AWB legislation likely to include semi-auto pistols, I would personally not invest in a handgun that accepts more than 10 rounds. JMO.

My next handgun purchase will be a Taurus 605 Protector .357 Magnum Polymer Revolver ($330). It will also accept 38 Special and 38 Special +P. This will be a great home defense and CC handgun. And as I understand it, the 38 Special and 38 Special +P have a very manageable recoil/kick.
    I have been eyeballing the Sigma 9VE. Actually, a family member just purchased one. Haven't had a chance to go out to the range with him yet to shoot it, but I definitely liked the feel of it in my hand. I am a little concerned about the heavy trigger pull for my wife. While checking out the Sigma we tried the popular online fix to lighten the trigger pull and had it down somewhere around 4lbs which would be more suitable for my wife, but I'm not certain as to the legality of that modification. I agree that the 38 Special and the +P are very manageable recoil. My mother who is a rather small woman (5'1" maybe 115 soaking wet) has a S&W .357 and is very comfortable firing 38s (although she does well with the .357s as well, she prefers the lesser kick of the 38).

From what I can tell on the proposed AWB, weapons already owned are grandfathered in but if passed, I would be stuck with anything banned because the ban would prevent further sale / transfer.

Thanks to all for the great advice. I was vague on my price range and I agree with all who suggest that going cheap is not a good idea. I am budget minded, but I'm too poor to be cheap. By that I mean, I don't want to buy junk and then have to spend a ton of money repairing or replacing it. From what I have seen, most of the Glocks are running a little more than I'd like to spend and I hope to find something reliable in the $300 -$400 range. However, I'd sooner find an extra $100 than I would buy a crappy weapon.

On the points of personal preference: I absolutely agree that the wife and I are destine to take a field trip to try a few out and find something comfortable. I was hoping to get a general idea of what calibers would be recommended and which brands just to get some type of starting point for our research.

Specific recommendations for a semi-auto home defense pistol

Quote Originally Posted by short10 View Post
    Thanks to all for the great advice. I was vague on my price range and I agree with all who suggest that going cheap is not a good idea. I am budget minded, but I'm too poor to be cheap. By that I mean, I don't want to buy junk and then have to spend a ton of money repairing or replacing it. From what I have seen, most of the Glocks are running a little more than I'd like to spend and I hope to find something reliable in the $300 -$400 range. However, I'd sooner find an extra $100 than I would buy a crappy weapon.

On the points of personal preference: I absolutely agree that the wife and I are destine to take a field trip to try a few out and find something comfortable. I was hoping to get a general idea of what calibers would be recommended and which brands just to get some type of starting point for our research.
    My wife loves the Glock 19...and so do I. However, they are very hard to find right now. Go figure, right?!

My thoughts on this issue is simple, one have enough gun I know people that simply use a 9mm Ruger or Taurus because they think they need 15 to 17 rounds. Two, pick a high quality ammo one that functions well in your gun and has a very low flash in lowlight do some night fire to figure out which load doesn't blind you at night. Three at least test a load with less penetration if you have family especially little ones across the house most likely if something were to happen at home you would have the intruder between you and your family depending on your floodplan of course. My personal choice for house gun is a H&K 45C with 200gr gold dots. Three things are solved with my choice, have enough gun, low light visibility because of my tritium night sights, and less penetration I have tested that specific load and I am not worried about knock down power or over penetration

Quote Originally Posted by glockman10mm View Post
    Alot of to choose from...if you can find them. Cant go wrong with a Glock 19 or 17. But it really depends on what you like. But if you dont know what you like, then thats a good place to start as to price vs quality.
    I was gonna say almost the same thing, except I'd say Glock 21 or 19.
    "Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everyone you meet."
    -General James Mattis, USMC

If it is strictly HD I would stay with a full size not a compact or sub.
    Anything thing from a 9mm to a .45 depending on what fits you.
    Ruger SR series are fine so are most of the ones already listed shop around.
    Shop around for a nice used Ruger P89 or 95 out standing full size HD weapon
    Glock is over priced over rated seems to be the best known name with about the lowest sales .

Just a note. Corbon uses a powder blend that reduces muzzle flash for defensive use in lowlight...
    RIP Jeff Cooper

Distinguished Member Array chuckusaret's Avatar
    I am a great believer that any gun is better then no gun. I have found that because of budget constraints many people people purchase the low cost Jennings-Bryco-Raven type handguns, these type guns would be counter to my to my statement and I would suggest not buying one. If a person has limited available funds i would suggest that they inquire about a lay away plan at their LGS, most gun stores in my area do have lay away plans. Many LGS's also participate in the Police Buy Back program, these guns are little fired but do show carry wear as can be expected and would be good choice at an affordable price. This program also offers an additional discount to LEO's, military and retired military.
    US Army 1953-1977

‘‘We, the People are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts — not to overthrow the Constitution, but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution.’’
    — Abraham Lincoln

Look at the Ruger P95. They can be had for around 325 to 350 built like a tank sa/da trigger 15 round mags great home defense firearm. YMMV

At the present panic state of mind, I'd suggest shopping ASAP. In stock items are dwindling fast.

Quote Originally Posted by 1911srule View Post
    Just a note. Corbon uses a powder blend that reduces muzzle flash for defensive use in lowlight...
    A LEO friend of mine also suggested the Corbon for the lower muzzle flash. I recall him telling me they are also a higher velocity round. I've seen a number of reviews though in which people claim they have several rounds out of a box are duds. Does anyone here have any experience with this ammunition? Thoughts from a reliability standpoint?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Links