Specific recommendations for a semi-auto home defense pistol

This is a discussion on Specific recommendations for a semi-auto home defense pistol within the Home (And Away From Home) Defense Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I have always owned long guns and found them suitable, if not preferred for my family's home defense needs. That is, until we moved from ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree8Likes

Thread: Specific recommendations for a semi-auto home defense pistol

Specific recommendations for a semi-auto home defense pistol

I have always owned long guns and found them suitable, if not preferred for my family's home defense needs. That is, until we moved from a rural area to a more densely populated area where I can practically spit on my neighbor's houses from my window. Also, are previous residence was a much more open floor plan. Our current house is a small, old house with plenty of tight corners which make using a rifle or shotgun impractical.

Here are the main points we are considering:

- we are on a relatively tight budget, but feel the need to make a purchase soon as we have already had one attempted break in, and numerous other trespassing and vandalism issues along with an increase in violent crimes in the area. (The recent shooting of a woman by 3 teens - yeah, that was right up the road from us)

- we want semi-auto. There are a number of reasons for this, but at the top of the list are capacity and reload time especially since the popular method of the local criminal element is to invade homes in larger numbers.

- adequate stopping power vs. close proximity of innocents. Obviously, we want to have ample stopping power, however as I mentioned above, the neighboring houses are close. Additionally, we don't want to go too big due to concern of being blinded or deafened (even momentarily) after each shot. Gets back to the likely hood of having to handle multiple intruders. Also, due to the tight quarters, it is likely that if we had to shoot, the delicate ears of our children will be nearby.

- both my wife and I intend to get our CCP and may, on occasion, carry this pistol. Even though we intend to invest in purpose specific pistols for carrying in the future, it is likely that before we reach that point, that we will on occasion carry the piece we are currently looking to purchase, even thought it's primary role will be home defense.

We both believe that training is the key to success with any weapon and intend to train with whatever weapon we purchase. We also understand the importance of finding a pistol that we are comfortable with, which is even more challenging since we will have to both be adequately comfortable with the same pistol in order for it to effectively serve its intended purpose.

With that said, will you kindly offer your personal recommendations based on the information above. I have a few ideas of my own, but I am hesitant to post them up front just for the sake of objectivity.

Thanks in advance!

2. Remove Ads

Well I have a Glock 23 .40 cal. I like it. Its just my personal preference but there are a lot of great pistols to be had.
    "As a strong supporter of our 2nd Amendment rights, I believe tougher enforcement of our nation's existing gun laws must be done before any more laws are enacted and put on the books."
    Jeff Miller

Mid size Glock.19 or 23 your choice.I say those because you mentioned CC.Glock 17 or 22 if you want to have a house gun only.Good luck.

100 friendly responses will be 100 personal opinions and preferences. Time to head to the local gunshop to touch, see and feel the options because it will boil down to what feels good in your and your wife's hand. Narrow it down to 2 or 3 then go to a range that rents guns and actually try them out.

Iggy words of wisdom of the day.
    NCSoxFan likes this.
    Raleigh... Where Barney comes to Party...

Glock 27 or M&P Shield for every day carry (LCP for deep conceal when necessary)... Glock 23 for the home.

Call me Iggy. Only my mother calls me by my full given name.

Alot of to choose from...if you can find them. Cant go wrong with a Glock 19 or 17. But it really depends on what you like. But if you dont know what you like, then thats a good place to start as to price vs quality.
    pittypat21 likes this.
    Ignorance is a long way from stupid, but left unchecked, can get there real fast.

For what it's worth my EDC is a S&W compact. My house gun is a S&W 686+ 4 inch. I like a revolver as a nightstand gun. If I'm woken in the middle of the night to a huge adrenaline dump I feel there is less chance for user error FTF/FTE due to poor grip. I definetly don't feel underpowered with .357 mag. Capacity is 7 but in CA I'm limited to 10 anyway. Any revolver should be enough to allow you to gather your family and long guns in a safe place and hold out for the police or let the BG enter a corridor of death.

In the winter I feel most comfortable with my 686 as primary and M&P as BUG. Summer carry in my climate won't be every day with my 4 inch 686 but could be done.

It nice to have at least one wheelgun as an option if you don't already. Just my opinion YMMV.

Glock 21.....the best Home Defensive Handgun........IMO......with a tact light........13 rounds of .45acp .
    pittypat21 likes this.

I've recently started collecting dust on just about everything but my Ruger SR9c. Seems to be a great "down the middle" pistol. 9mm, "reasonable safeties" and such (somewhat large but nice loaded chamber indicator, thumb safety with an obvious snap to it), compact but not too small, concealable if needed, accurate, reliable, reasonably priced.

Even my wife likes it. Hence, I might be getting another one soon...
    NRA Life / Endowment UT, FL, IL

Distinguished Member Array svgheartland's Avatar
    6 reads and 5 responses already. This should tell you that opinions are on the way. I'll leave it to you to read and do your homework. But as a side note, you will be somewhat blinded (assuming darkened conditions) and deafened after firing each round if you're in a house. So will anybody that's in the room with you. A defensive caliber is bound to deliver that effect whether it's 380 or 357, it's just a matter of degree. I wouldn't dwell on this, just a heads up.
    Savage Heartland

What if the Hokey Pokey IS what it's all about?

Quote Originally Posted by short10 View Post
    - we are on a relatively tight budget ...
    Anything Glock will be over $500 new.

Not sure what your budget is, so I am going to list a few options based on $350 or less. These are all 9mm

Easily CC'd
    1. Ruger LC9 ($330)
    2. Taurus PT709 ($300)

Not as easy CC'd
    1. Smith & Wesson SD9VE New Sigma Series ($300)
    2. Taurus PT809 ($350)

You want semi-automatic and that's fine. But with the pending AWB legislation likely to include semi-auto pistols, I would personally not invest in a handgun that accepts more than 10 rounds. JMO.

My next handgun purchase will be a Taurus 605 Protector .357 Magnum Polymer Revolver ($330). It will also accept 38 Special and 38 Special +P. This will be a great home defense and CC handgun. And as I understand it, the 38 Special and 38 Special +P have a very manageable recoil/kick.

You'll get lots of help in this forum, but remember they are all opinions, and your opinion, and that of your wife. are the only ones that count. .45ACP or .40 S&W are good choices to avoid over penetration, but you can buy some ammo for a 9mm that won't over penetrate too much as well. Any of your major brands, make fine pistols. The GLOCK makes pistols in various sizes, so you can go to a range that rents pistols, and try them on for size.

From the sound of things, you may want a pistol that has the accessory rail, so that you can utilize a weapon mounted light. With training, it's easier to use then a handheld light, and if you're going to be mobile, clearing rooms, etc...you'll want a good quality light.

Good luck with your journey. Be safe.
    " But if you are authorized to carry a weapon, and you walk outside without it, just take a deep breath, and say this to yourself... Baa." Col. Dave Grossman on Sheep and Sheepdogs.

Administrator
    My thoughts are as follows; don't go cheap on a handgun. Go with a industry standard like Glock, M&P both are relatively inexpensive, popular and have plenty of aftermarket support. If you buy cheap (taurus) costs tend to meet or exceed the cost of one of the "gold standards" once you factor extra mags etc, and you still have a lesser gun nobody wants when it comes time to sell.
    All that considered, the best budget gun out there right now is a Sig 250. They can be had all day long in the 3-350 range, and you can buy an extra chassis cheaply, then be able with switch between compact and full size quick and easy.
    zacii and rugerista like this.
    "Just blame Sixto"

The ammo and necessary practice to use a pistol are larger costs than the pistol itself.

Get a Glock or M&P, don't skimp; you'll regret it.

You also have to consider the supporting accessories: availability of mags, holsters, etc.
    MamaMaria and rugerista like this.
    Trust in God and keep your powder dry

"A heavily armed citizenry is not about overthrowing the government; it is about preventing the government from overthrowing liberty. A people stripped of their right of self defense is defenseless against their own government." -source

Without knowing your specific budget, I'll agree with a Glock, and given current environment, I would go with a G30,and try to procure some g21 mags for HD ahead of any ban.
    You gain strength, courage, and confidence by every experience in which you really stop to look fear in the face. You are able to say to yourself, "I have lived through this horror. I can take the next thing that comes along." . . . You must do the thing you think you cannot do. Eleanor Roosevelt

There are several defensive handguns around the $500-$600 range that will fit the bill. Glocks, M&P, XD, Ruger SR, etc... My advice is to find the one that you and your wife both shoot well and stay in the mid size (glock 19, XD service, M&P service, etc..) that can pull double duty as a house gun and a carry gun. The caliber will depend on what you and your wife shoot best, but stay above 9 mm.
    No trees were harmed in the construction of this post. However a large number of electrons were indiscriminately aroused.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links