Making your firearm accessible?

This is a discussion on Making your firearm accessible? within the Home (And Away From Home) Defense Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Carry IWB all the time. Most of the time it is outside my shirt, but IWB. During Christmas, with a house full of people, I ...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree18Likes

Thread: Making your firearm accessible?

Carry IWB all the time. Most of the time it is outside my shirt, but IWB. During Christmas, with a house full of people, I simply tucked my shirt in over my gun/holster & no-one knew. Its always available.

2. Remove Ads

If your kids and their friends are a concern you might want to revisit parenting . I carry/have within arms reach 24/7 as do my wife and my children and their spouses . All grandkids know that they can only pick up an arm with adult supervision present .

I have a OWB clip on holster that I got cheap at a gun show. I carry it everywhere in the house, when I need to do something I just pull the whole thing off and put it on the floor or around me. It protects my guns so I can place them anywhere without worry of scratching guns or damaging them.

Edit: they are tuckable ace holsters, I bought 2 IWB left handed. So since its IWB left hand when I clip them on my right side it clips to my belt and is now an OWB holster. Easy to take off and put on, i just looked and.you can buy 2 for $25 free shipping which was about how much I paid at the gun show.

More and more, I conceal carry mine around the house. After carrying for a year now, I just feel more comfortable with it on me. At night, I have it in a small pistol safe in side my nightstand. I installed a light that comes on when the drawer is opened. Yes, it would take extra time for me to lean over and get the safe open, but I figure I am on the second floor of my house and the perp will have to get through my battery-backed-up house alarms and then my dogs. That should slow them down.

Truckinbutch, I'm not worried about my own children at all. They come to the range with me regularly and both know how to handle firearms. It's their friends that would be more of a question mark. There are a whole spectrum of types that they are friends with that are at our house because we try to exercise deliberate hospitality.

Thanks all. I have definitely taken to carrying around the house more, but maybe I do need to look at more holster or pocket carry options. I'll think about that.

Quote Originally Posted by GraySkies View Post
    How do you make sure your firearms are accessible for home defense when you are home? I know having one on your person is best, but sometimes carrying around the house is not really an option (like when working on the plumbing under the sink, or under the car out in the garage).

My kids are teenagers and their friends are in and out of the house all the time. The way I treat it now is that my XD is either in the safe or on my hip, and never anywhere else.
    I think you're pretty much doing it the best way, now.

In a home where others are coming and going, it's hard to leave a safe full of weapons open and generally available to anyone who saunters by. Bad juju, if any of those folks are potentially ones whom you'd prefer not gain access to the weapons.

You could pepper weapons around the home in concealed locations, but unless in a safe they're likely to be easily accessed (assuming they're found).

And, yes, as you point out it's not always convenient to have a firearm holstered on your person during some activities. If you're able to have another be the security detail during such activities, great. If not, then you either need to consider having the weapon near/on you in a manner that accommodates the activity, or you need to go unarmed with the holstered firearm for the duration of that activity.

Myself, one of the reasons I have a few different types of firearms is to accommodate different situations. For example, it's not always convenient to have a full-sized IWB gun on my hip, such as during some activities. In such cases, a pocket-carried or smaller/IWB firearm suits some situations much better. Works just fine, and I'm still armed. When the activity's done, I'll generally go back to my "normal" gun and mode of carry.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Making your firearm accessible?

+1 for GunVault

I have several, in many of the closets around the house (all floors, etc) and a gun in each of them. With a 3 year old and a 1 year old, it's the safest I can get.

Distinguished Member Array tcox4freedom's Avatar
    Here's a novel idea- "How about raising responsible kids and teaching them about firearm safety?"

I have a teenage son and I have raised him around firearms. I've also taught him how to be responsible and NOT act like some of his idiot friends. I also have a 10 year old daughter (soon 2b 11), that I've raised the same way.

My kids know where all the firearms are and KNOW how to use a few of them quite well. They also have been given permission to access them & use them in a SD emergency. A good safe or secure holster may work when they are at home or in your presence. But, they aren't worth a d^*ned when your kids are with someone else.

Teaching RESPONSIBILITY and SAFETY is the most effective way to keep your children safe! (no pun intended)

-
    ccw9mm likes this.

We don't have young kids. Even still I don't usually carry a gun around my house. If I felt that unsafe at home, I'd move. I do carry when I leave, and if I'm going back and forth during the day then I have a gun on, but like having dinner or watching TV in the evening it seems a bit of overkill.

Honestly you can have a handgun with you 24/7, withing arms reach or on you no matter what you are doing. I do it and have for years. If im working on the truck or bike and im on the ground laying etc i just lay the weapon within arms reach like I would a wrench. Same with plumbing etc. Anything else where you arent working on the floor or ground it can be on you. At this moment im posting my 40 is laying beside the computer. I could get it faster right now than I could draw it from my holster. When I leave this chair it will be slipped back in my soft sided bianchi iwb. I go to bed it will go in a holster at my bedside. When i dress it goes back in the holster iwb.

Armed all the time night day in or out. Learned to the hard way, paid a heavy price for the knowledge and I live out in the sticks. Just because your home there isnt a force field that magically stops bad folks. Safes are for storing weapons that have no chance of being needed.
    tcox4freedom likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by gunslingergirl View Post
    We don't have young kids. Even still I don't usually carry a gun around my house. If I felt that unsafe at home, I'd move. I do carry when I leave, and if I'm going back and forth during the day then I have a gun on, but like having dinner or watching TV in the evening it seems a bit of overkill.
    Stories like the one below is what convinced me to always carry at home. Looks somewhat rural and it was during the day. I know the chances are slim, but why put your faith in that? Not that I feel unsafe, but because bad things can happen anywhere. I pocket carry a .380 and it may not be the best, but at least I have something and it is never in the way. I don't feel unsafe when I drive, but I wear a seatbelt because I have no control over other peoples decisions. I do keep a dedicated HD gun (G17) that is stored in my handgun safe bolted to my bed frame since that is where I feel most vulnerable.

1242157303935102392626.jpeg

Cops: Mother of two surprises intruder with five gunshots | www.ajc.com

Distinguished Member Array GlassWolf's Avatar
    OP, In your situation, I'd recommend a quick-access (digital/electronic lock/keypad) single-gun lockbox tethered with a steel cable to something immovable near you, like the bed frame, or what have you. It keeps the kids away from the gun, but lets you at it in about 2 seconds if needed, and it's a portable solution, that even works in the car.
    I am free because I know that I alone am morally responsible for everything I do. I am free, no matter what rules surround me. If I find them tolerable, I tolerate them; if I find them too obnoxious, I break them. I am free because I know that I alone am morally responsible for everything I do.

I agree. Mine is where I can get to it, but not on at home.

I have one electronic safe downstairs and one upstairs. Both are handguns are in condition 2, although I considered placing my Ruger P89 in condition 0 while in the safe.

Anyway, my wife says she'd prefer the guns not just sitting out or overly accessible because she has some reasonable and personal problems with handguns that I completely respect. What I am considering is unlocking the safes when I get home, and unlocking them before I leave. If I can do this religiously, I feel I'll have a good mix between availability and making "the boss" happy. Also, I've carried around the house and I'm thinking about doing it more frequently. Our neighborhood isn't very high risk for crime, but I know that doesn't keep the BGs out...just trying to keep a good blend of an approach.

Thoughts?

Several biometric Gunvaults around the house, guns in condition1. Rifles & range guns in a bometric safe. Had to go this route once the law changed requiring weapons to be secured in any location where a minor could potentially be unattended.

I raised 3 kids without a gun safe. They all knew that every gun was loaded and to keep their meat hooks off unless I was supervising.
    KNOWLEDGE: A tomato is a fruit.
    WISDOM: Not putting a tomato in a fruit salad.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Links