Making your firearm accessible?

This is a discussion on Making your firearm accessible? within the Home (And Away From Home) Defense Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; GreySkies 1 gal ziplock bag sorry I did not answer sooner but in Az in the out back you need to have access now and ...

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Like Tree18Likes

Thread: Making your firearm accessible?

Distinguished Member Array shadowwalker's Avatar
    GreySkies 1 gal ziplock bag sorry I did not answer sooner but in Az in the out back you need to have access now and in Or I do the same it became habit

2. Remove Ads

Quote Originally Posted by shadowwalker View Post
    1 gal ziplock bag
    Now that's committment!

Glad I saw this because I was going to ask the same. My son is 6 yrs old and I am not niave enough to think my kid isn't curious when my eyes aren't staring at the back of his head despite what I have taught him. I'm not a fan of the small gunsafes and currently either carry on me or it's between the mattress out of sight when sleeping. Back on when I get up and maybe that is sufficient, am I overthinking this (if that is possible)?

Holsters solved this problem over a hundred yrs ago
    ”God grants Liberty only to those who love it, and are always ready to guard and defend it.”
    ~Daniel Webster

Your points are shallow... my points are Hollow....

Quote Originally Posted by Taurahe View Post
    Holsters solved this problem over a hundred yrs ago
    I don't think my wife would approve if I crawled into bed still wearing my holster.

...the thing is, you can go for 50 years and never need one...most cops never fire a shot in their whole career...but WHICH trip to the garage for another wrench are you going to surprise a thief...WHICH time is it going to be your door that's kicked open during supper...trouble doesn't make an appointment...be prepared..

...if you can't have it on your person...keep it within arms' reach...if someone kicks a door in, there's no time to open a gunsafe...or go to the next room...read the stories of a handful of home invasions...they happen fast...and more often...

...my wife hated guns and didn't want them around...we had several stashed where I and the 3 boys knew where they were and she was protected though she never knew they were there...she's realized a couple of years ago that the world's not like she thought it was...has her permit and her own .38 now...

...better to have it and not need it than to need it and not have it...kinda like homeowners' insurance...
    USM1976 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Snub44 View Post
    ...the thing is, you can go for 50 years and never need one...most cops never fire a shot in their whole career...but WHICH trip to the garage for another wrench are you going to surprise a thief...WHICH time is it going to be your door that's kicked open during supper...trouble doesn't make an appointment...be prepared..

...if you can't have it on your person...keep it within arms' reach...if someone kicks a door in, there's no time to open a gunsafe...or go to the next room...read the stories of a handful of home invasions...they happen fast...and more often...

...my wife hated guns and didn't want them around...we had several stashed where I and the 3 boys knew where they were and she was protected though she never knew they were there...she's realized a couple of years ago that the world's not like she thought it was...has her permit and her own .38 now...

...better to have it and not need it than to need it and not have it...kinda like homeowners' insurance...
    I call it the 2 second rule...if one cannot get to a gun within 2 seconds, it is too far away...sad indictment of our society today, but it is what it is.
    pittypat21 and Snub44 like this.

Quote Originally Posted by USM1976 View Post
    I call it the 2 second rule...if one cannot get to a gun within 2 seconds, it is too far away...sad indictment of our society today, but it is what it is.
    Exactly. I know too many people that have a gun for home defense, and yet it's either all the way across the house at any given time, or some (and this is a scary thought) have it locked up in a manner that does not allow quick access. Imagine, a home defense weapon that you can't effectively defend your home with...
    USM1976 and Snub44 like this.
    "Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everyone you meet."
    -General James Mattis, USMC

Quote Originally Posted by pittypat21 View Post
    Exactly. I know too many people that have a gun for home defense, and yet it's either all the way across the house at any given time, or some (and this is a scary thought) have it locked up in a manner that does not allow quick access. Imagine, a home defense weapon that you can't effectively defend your home with...
    I also think being able to access it with one hand is important.
    Snub44 and pittypat21 like this.

Quote Originally Posted by FAS1 View Post
    I don't think my wife would approve if I crawled into bed still wearing my holster.
    You'd get awfully lonely out there on the sofa.
    FAS1 likes this.
    "The time is now near at hand which must determine whether Americans are to be freemen or slaves."
    ------------------------------------— George Washington 1776
    Gun free zones
    are safe havens-
    FOR CRIMINALS

My children know MY KINGDOMS RULES and if broken will face the WRATH of god, ME! My HD weapons are accessible within a moments notice and ready to engage if need be, GOD forbid.

As for a possible threat, I own a Canine that will scare the hell into you instead out of you. My Buster is a 24 hour Radar that Patrols my home and does an outstanding job it!

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Links