Making your firearm accessible?

This is a discussion on Making your firearm accessible? within the Home (And Away From Home) Defense Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I'm sure this has been discussed many times, but I didn't really know what search terms to use, so I'll go ahead and ask: How ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree18Likes

Thread: Making your firearm accessible?

Making your firearm accessible?

I'm sure this has been discussed many times, but I didn't really know what search terms to use, so I'll go ahead and ask:

How do you make sure your firearms are accessible for home defense when you are home? I know having one on your person is best, but sometimes carrying around the house is not really an option (like when working on the plumbing under the sink, or under the car out in the garage).

My kids are teenagers and their friends are in and out of the house all the time. The way I treat it now is that my XD is either in the safe or on my hip, and never anywhere else. This kinda seems like it's my only viable option right now, but upstairs in the safe is not exactly accessible for home defense (like a kick-in-the-door home invasion).

I'm not sure I can really change what I'm doing with my family situation being what it is, but I'm just looking for all of your creative ideas for keeping something close to hand, whether it solves my personal situation or not.

Thanks, everyone!

2. Remove Ads

If you're doing plumbing, I'd assume you have some kind of tool box near you. In which case take your gun and holster off (if your holster comes off easily) and put it in the tool box. If you can't do that, then place the gun right next to you while you're working, some where or some way that you're not going to discharge it. If it's right next to you, your kids and their friends probably aren't going to get to it without you noticing.

EDIT: Not knowing what or how you carry, makes it hard to offer any suggestions. I have a crossbreed OWB holster, that slides along my belt (not easily, but I can move it where I want it) so I can move it between 3:00 and 5:00. This movement allows me to keep it on my hip comfortably regardless of what I'm doing.
    "Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everyone you meet."
    -General James Mattis, USMC

Go to Pistolwear.com I wear one of these while wearing a Tshirt and Swim Shorts...........it's great for around the house.

My firearm is either on my person or within an arm's reach.
    If visitors are present it simple goes on my person.
    Hot Wing, Truckinbutch and PatAz like this.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Young kids and teenagers will always know where your gun is.

A gun safe like

Gun Safes - Home Gun Safe - Handgun Safes | GunVault | GunVault gives you quick access yet keeps the gun secure. Opens in one second.
    "Confidence is food for the wise man but liquor for the fool"

raised 3 boys......never needed one of those and not fast enough access for me......but that's just me.
    ArmedLady likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by retsupt99 View Post
    My firearm is either on my person or within an arm's reach.
    If visitors are present it simple goes on my person.
    Me too

Around the home I always pocket carry and it's never in the way of anything. The bad is that it's only a .380. The good is my dedicated HD gun (G17) isn't far if needed and stored in a strong handgun safe.

Distinguished Member Array shadowwalker's Avatar
    I carried painting, plumbing, furnance work, roof and yard work and taking a shower.

Quote Originally Posted by shadowwalker View Post
    and taking a shower.
    Okay.... I can't resist.....

How'd you pull that one off?
    68blackbird and icemanls2 like this.

I don't have any kids to worry about, but when I'm home wearing gym shorts or sweat pants, I use a Smart Carry strapped around my waist with the gun (and extra mag) at 4 o'clock. It's practical, and easy on/off. I think this could work for you under your circumstances.
    Duty, Honor, Country...MEDIC!!!
    ¡Cuánto duele crecer, cuan hondo es el dolor de alzarse en puntillas y observar con temblores de angustia, esa cosa tremenda, que es la vida del hombre! - René Marqués

I like the Gun Vault safes. Plenty of room for most any handgun, easily opened with biometrics or a quick combination. Make sure you get the anchoring plate or cable to secure to a wall or large piece of furniture.
    "Better to be judged by 12 than carried by 6"

Flight Surgeon, USAF
    Law Enforcement Tactical Surgeon

NRA Patron Member

Distinguished Member Array BigStick's Avatar
    I use a Gunvault. It works great. It won't keep theifs from getting to it if you aren't home and they have time, but it keeps hands off, and quick access.

Also, consider getting a small gun to pocket carry, then you never have an excuse not to have something on you, except in the shower or other "activities" where clothes are optional I guess.
    Walk softly ...

I've done all my home improvement, vehicle and yard work with a handgun on. Over the years I've worn an XD9SC in crossbreed, j frame appendix, and now mainly SP101 OWB. It's nice being able to move it some on belt if in a weird position etc.

Keep the sidearm on you at all times if you can.

Good Luck.
    Truckinbutch likes this.

It stays on untill I go to bed. Goes on when I put my pants on.
    airslot likes this.
    Semper Fi
    "Marines don't surrender-they win or die." from Brute

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links