Which would you choose? - Page 2

Which would you choose?

This is a discussion on Which would you choose? within the Home (And Away From Home) Defense Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Originally Posted by Secret Spuk In this scenario I'm going to choose the .357 8 shot revolver. Mainly for the ability to mix ammo and ...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree7Likes

Thread: Which would you choose?

Quote Originally Posted by Secret Spuk View Post
    In this scenario I'm going to choose the .357 8 shot revolver. Mainly for the ability to mix ammo and be able to escalate with the one handgun. From .38 snakeshot, .38 frangibles, heavy .357.s to lightweight .357's or .38+p. I can have an array of self defense ammo in one gun... or not mix it up, and go with one recipe.

Oh you say I have to choose what you want me to choose? 9mm or .45? Nope... I rarely if ever allow anyone to choose for me.
    in a HD defense scenario,you are going to pick which of the loads in your revolver to use?or use them all until threat is stopped?Do you think you can select a round in a real life situation?
    Secret Spuk likes this.
    You gain strength, courage, and confidence by every experience in which you really stop to look fear in the face. You are able to say to yourself, "I have lived through this horror. I can take the next thing that comes along." . . . You must do the thing you think you cannot do. Eleanor Roosevelt

Distinguished Member Array GlassWolf's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by pdblue View Post
    Let's just say you are looking for a home defense pistol. One choice is a 45acp that holds 10 rounds. You will be loading it with Gold Dot 230 grain hollow points. Your other choice is a 9mm that holds 17 rounds. You will be loading it with Gold Dot 124 grain +P rounds. You shoot both guns equally well. Recoil from either gun is not an issue. Your wife does not shoot. Which would you choose as a nightstand gun for defending your home? Thanks for your thoughts.
    Personally I went with the 9mm. Walther PPQ with Trijicon sights and tac light, and H&K P30 v3 with yellow trij sights tac light.

I do own a Gov't Remington 1911 as well, though.
    I am free because I know that I alone am morally responsible for everything I do. I am free, no matter what rules surround me. If I find them tolerable, I tolerate them; if I find them too obnoxious, I break them. I am free because I know that I alone am morally responsible for everything I do.

9mm. That is what I carry and practice with the most. In a life and death situation, I would want something that my body is trained for the most.
    No trees were harmed in the construction of this post. However a large number of electrons were indiscriminately aroused.

id go with the 45 but i like both. i keep a glock 40 in my night stand loaded with 13 round mag and next to it got a 22 round mag. also have a RIGID INDUSTRIES flashlight its 800 lumens and has 5 modes. high med low strobe sos. look it up its a good self defense light to have, runs about $110 included with s&h. comes with a lith ion rechargeble battery. sorry to get off topic!

VIP Member
    Throw a coin in the air and holler tails before it lands.

It really doesn't matter a whole lot.
    Personal decision based on if , deep down in the recesses of your mind you think 10 rounds of .45 are enough.
    That is the decision we all make when carrying out in public as well.
    You stand an equal chance, IMHO of encountering multiple attackers in the home, as well as out and about.
    I would rather die with good men than hide with cowards
    If you want to make God laugh, tell him your plans.
    Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it whether it exists or not, diagnosing it incorrectly, and applying the wrong remedy."

M&Pc .357sig, 2340Sigpro .357sig

I will choose capacity over stopping power. If 5 guys are coming up the stairs it may not matter that you stopped the first 4.

Plenty of people have been killed by 22's.

One 45 in one hand and the 9 in the other???

Either will work, as will a good HD shotgun setup. Go with whatever gives you better hits.
    "There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." ~ P. J. O'Rourke

Quote Originally Posted by Smitty901 View Post
    The 45 I would not use gold dot Hp I would load 230 grain ball. The extra rounds would not be a big deal in HD the stopping power if a less than prefect hit with the 45 would be IMO.
    I do however also have a Double stack 45 that hold 14 rounds so your down to 3 less ?

Sorry had before I turned them all in to the government.
    Kinda the same here; double stack 1911 .45 (13+1) but loaded with Corbon 185 gr +P all copper HP.

I've opted for the .45ACP myself, but I carry a 9mm too, so instead of this or that, I'll simply go with this AND that. Good reliable pistol with night sights, and a good reliable combat light with fresh batteries and/or the weapon mounted light and you're good to go.

Yeah, This AND That for me. :)

Be safe.
    " But if you are authorized to carry a weapon, and you walk outside without it, just take a deep breath, and say this to yourself... Baa." Col. Dave Grossman on Sheep and Sheepdogs.

Senior Member Array rugergunner's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by pdblue View Post
    Let's just say you are looking for a home defense pistol. One choice is a 45acp that holds 10 rounds. You will be loading it with Gold Dot 230 grain hollow points. Your other choice is a 9mm that holds 17 rounds. You will be loading it with Gold Dot 124 grain +P rounds. You shoot both guns equally well. Recoil from either gun is not an issue. Your wife does not shoot. Which would you choose as a nightstand gun for defending your home? Thanks for your thoughts.
    I would go with the 9mm, but I am a 9mm fan to the max. I do own one .45 ACP though.
    I would rather die on my feet, than to live on my knees.

Wife may not want to shoot on a regular, but getting familiar if the situation should arise is key.

I'd go with the extra rounds of 9mm. Both have proven stopping power and trust my life with both rounds.
    EDC: M&P 9*2
    PHIL.4:13

NRA

When I was having what I thought was a SHTF scenario (turns out it wasn't, but that's not important right now) and I opened my gun safe to reveal my 9-round .45 and my 16-round 9mm, I picked up the 9mm. It was then I realized that capacity was the main thing for me.
    I have a very strict gun control policy: if there's a gun around, I want to be in control of it.
    Clint Eastwood

VIP Member
    I already chose a Glock 9mm.
    "If I had my choice I would kill every reporter in the world, but I am sure we would be getting reports from Hell before breakfast."
    William T. Sherman

Distinguished Member Array DefConGun's Avatar
    Either one of them can get the job done so long as you're proficient with the one you're using. How does the saying go? Its not the arrow, its the Indian? Regardless of your choice of poison, make sure you have a good light and an extra magazine. Personally, given your choices, I'd probably use a full size .45 for nightstand duty. My EDC is pulling a double shift by also being the nightstand gun for now but in the future, I'm contemplating a Glock 20 (full-size 10mm). We all have our own "ideal" nightstand gun. Let us know what you choose.

Best of hope for you and yours.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Sponsored Links