Gun Position in Bedroom

This is a discussion on Gun Position in Bedroom within the Home (And Away From Home) Defense Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Try switching sides of the bed....

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree20Likes

Thread: Gun Position in Bedroom

Try switching sides of the bed.
    DJC7 likes this.
    Yoda, I am, yes.

2. Remove Ads

Gun Position in Bedroom?......in my hand, whenever needed.
    "Better to be judged by 12 than carried by 6"

Flight Surgeon, USAF
    Law Enforcement Tactical Surgeon

NRA Patron Member

I do keep mine under my pillow - in a Remora no-clip. It has enough retention to keep the trigger securely covered, and it's stickiness keeps it in position all the time.
    I have a touch-on lamp on my nightstand and I don't want to be turning it on when I go for my gun. It's very handy for non-emergencies - which is 99.9% of the time, so I like it.
    I usually sleep on my stomach or side, and just have to reach up to get a firm grip on my gun.

It takes a while to adjust if you switch sides of the bed. I still have moments in half-asleep land where I feel like I'm in bed at my parent's house, or when I lay there trying to figure out which way I'm laying and where the walls are, because at my parent's I was on the other side of the bed. I have slept on the same side for about 6 years now, and still wonder occasionally.

Rather than worrying about an extra few seconds finding your gun, perhaps it would be better to invest in hardening the rest of your house so you'll have more time. Alarm? Dog? Etc. Even a keyholder friend wouldn't make it past my dogs without an alarm - probably before they even got the door open. Gives a few more minutes to collect your wits, compared to being awoken by sounds of someone already inside.
    I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people and I expect the same from them. -- John Wayne as John B. Books in "The Shootist"

having it under a pillow seems bad for so many reasons

1- dangerous to you or someone sleeping next to you
    2- uncomfortable
    3- possibility of it falling off bed
    4- i flip my pillow in the night, this would get in the way. i also sometimes put a hand or arm under my pillow

I keep a .357 revolver in a cheap nylon holster w/ speedloader pouch clipped to the metal bed frame rail. Grabbing and pulling on the gun without unsnapping the butt strap puts the holster along with a speedloader in my hands, I can then choose what I need to do, unsnap and draw, pocket the speed loader, clip the holster onto my belt if I am dressed, etc. I also keep an HD equipped Remington 870 shotgun with 300 lumen surefire foregrip light mounted under the bed rail, that is the second go to gun in case something goes bump in the middle of the night. The reason for this is when seconds count I would rather have the revolver, faster to grab, faster to swing on target, but if given time to prepare I want the shotgun. General plan is if something goes bump, grab the revolver, if time allows hand it to my wife, and grab the shotgun.

Gun Position in Bedroom

Sitting on my bedside table in a holster next to my Streamlight and my phone. Shotgun on the other side of my bedside table with two spare mags and some more shells in the top drawer.

-BTO-
    -BTO-

As stated by others you need to let your buddy know to announce himself. About 2 very close friends of mine (like brothers) have my garage code and they both know to announce themselves as soon as they walk in the house. I only keep one gun out of the safe at night in a holster clipped onto my bed frame. IMO that is the best way to go, I use a regular holster because my bed frame sticks out so I can just clip it on but they also make holsters specifically designed to be able to attach it to the bed.
    NRA LIFE MEMBER

Si vis pacem, para bellum

I keep mine duct taped to the blade on the ceiling fan..... No bad guy will ever look there.... Pretty smart huh???
    "One of the greatest delusions in the world is the hope that the evils in this world are to be cured by legislation."
    --Thomas B. Reed, American Attorney

Second Amendment -- Established December 15, 1791 and slowly eroded ever since What happened to "..... shall not be infringed."

Quote Originally Posted by Crowman View Post
    I keep mine duct taped to the blade on the ceiling fan..... No bad guy will ever look there.... Pretty smart huh???
    You need matching ones on each blade or else the fan will be out of balance.
    Crowman and Zero_ like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Isaac1 View Post
    You need matching ones on each blade or else the fan will be out of balance.
    Cool..... Now I have a reason to buy another handgun..... Thanks for helping me out in convincing the wife since she did not like the way the fan was working....
    "One of the greatest delusions in the world is the hope that the evils in this world are to be cured by legislation."
    --Thomas B. Reed, American Attorney

Second Amendment -- Established December 15, 1791 and slowly eroded ever since What happened to "..... shall not be infringed."

Missionary....if they see it they will be praying
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

I agree with a few other posters. If a friend is coming in from out of town and just walking in your house without you knowing you have bigger problems than where you keep your gun. You need to establish some boundaries big time. I wouldn't even walk into my dad's home without knocking or letting him know first, it's just common courtesy. I would suggest an attached holster on your side of the bed so you can simply reach down and draw...

Gun Position in Bedroom

I have been thinking about installing Gunvault Speedvault on the side on the bed or the nightstand.

http://www.gunvault.com/gun-safes/speedvault.html/

Here is video of a guy who did something similar... I would install the safe between the bed and the nightstand.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=trbbtTcfw6c
    Last edited by rugerista; January 12th, 2013 at 09:45 AM.

In a very strong (7ga steel) handgun safe bolted to my bed. Right next to my pillow and since it is holstered in the box, you can't grab the trigger by accident when it presents the gun to you. Simple, quick, one handed operation.

Re: Gun Position in Bedroom

Good setup! Who makes the safe? How did you attach the holster?

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Links