Gun Position in Bedroom

This is a discussion on Gun Position in Bedroom within the Home (And Away From Home) Defense Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Had a situation earlier (this morning actually) that got me thinking. Early morning, I wake up to sounds coming from downstairs. Look over, and my ...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Like Tree20Likes

Thread: Gun Position in Bedroom

Gun Position in Bedroom

Had a situation earlier (this morning actually) that got me thinking.

Early morning, I wake up to sounds coming from downstairs. Look over, and my fiancee is fast asleep next to me and no one, nor any pets, live with us. So I turn over and reach for my pistol that sits on the nightstand beside me. I am left handed, and the nightstand is on my left side, near the head of the bed which means I can't simply reach over and be able to cleanly grab it without some form of awkward movement, or turning over and grabbing it with my right hand, thus putting my back to the door until I can turn back over.

Turned out it was just a good friend of mine coming into town (who has a key to our house, thus very trusted), but it got me thinking - if I really need to, it is too awkward/cumbersome to reach for my gun in a hurry. I definitely do not like the idea of sleeping with the gun under the pillow or between the headrest and the mattress. I'm looking for suggestions on where to position the gun for easier access - moving the bed/layout is not quite an option due to needs of the fiancee I won't get into.

2. Remove Ads

Personally, I just keep mine in the holster on my nightstand. Mine is on my left and I'm right-handed, so I can see where you'd have a little bit of an awkward movement. I know CrossBreed Holsters sells a thing that you can attach to the side of your bed.

Here it is, the Bedside Backup. You can get it in left-hand draw. I'm sure there are other options out there.

Bedside Backup | Crossbreed Holsters - Bedside Backup
    TurboTurtle and joker1 like this.
    My blog

WARNING: This post may contain material offensive to those who lack wit, humor, common sense and/or supporting factual or anecdotal evidence. All statements and assertions contained herein may be subject to literary devices not limited to: irony, metaphor, allusion and dripping sarcasm.

Well, my first concern would have been your friend, and not how you would get a grip on your gun from the night stand. Does your friend know that you are armed? I'm asking the question, because if I were him, there is no way that I would just walk in your house unannounced and risking getting shot. This is the kind of tragedy that might end up all over the evening news and printed on the paper the next morning. Not to mention the field day that the Gun Grabbers will have with it.

Now, to address your question. How about placing the gun on the floor, where you can just reach it in a more natural way? Or, maybe get one of those holsters that attaches to the side of the mattress (as long as your sheet/blanket doesn't end up covering it while you sleep).
    Duty, Honor, Country...MEDIC!!!
    ¡Cuánto duele crecer, cuan hondo es el dolor de alzarse en puntillas y observar con temblores de angustia, esa cosa tremenda, que es la vida del hombre! - René Marqués

VIP Member
    Well I'm just going to start out by saying that upon reading the title to this thread my first thought was "I've never tried the 'gun position'...".

Ok, now to address your question. Never put a gun under your pillow. Never.

There are a few holster choices that will strap a gun to the side of your mattress and I guess that might be an option to explore, although to some degree grabbing any weapon from a prone position, especially when sleep is involved, is always going to be somewhat awkward.

Mine stays locked up on the floor next to me, so I'm not going to be able to access it lightning fast, but given the fact that I would hope to be woken up before anyone gets to my bedroom door, I don't expect that few seconds it takes to make much of a serious difference.
    NRA Life Member

"I don't believe gun owners have rights." - Sarah Brady

Senior Moderator
    Pistol safe under the bed
    Sometimes I wonder who the old man in the mirror is....

Lord, Grant me a good sword and no need to use it.

Distinguished Member Array GlassWolf's Avatar
    I am free because I know that I alone am morally responsible for everything I do. I am free, no matter what rules surround me. If I find them tolerable, I tolerate them; if I find them too obnoxious, I break them. I am free because I know that I alone am morally responsible for everything I do.

Quote Originally Posted by TX expat View Post
    Well I'm just going to start out by saying that upon reading the title to this thread my first thought was "I've never tried the 'gun position'...".
    Isn't that where you keep your finger away from your trigger in order to avoid an accidental discharge?
    ws76133 and TX expat like this.
    Raleigh... Where Barney comes to Party...

Glock 27 for every day carry (LCP for deep conceal when necessary)... Glock 23's for the home.

Call me Iggy. Only my mother calls me by my full given name.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by iguanadon View Post
    Isn't that where you keep your finger away from the trigger in order to avoid an accidental discharge?
    LOL. Yeah, I guess the safety rules still apply!
    NRA Life Member

"I don't believe gun owners have rights." - Sarah Brady

Quote Originally Posted by paaiyan View Post
    Personally, I just keep mine in the holster on my nightstand. Mine is on my left and I'm right-handed, so I can see where you'd have a little bit of an awkward movement. I know CrossBreed Holsters sells a thing that you can attach to the side of your bed.

Here it is, the Bedside Backup. You can get it in left-hand draw. I'm sure there are other options out there.

Bedside Backup | Crossbreed Holsters - Bedside Backup
    Thanks, I'll look into this. I had considered a DIY job of strapping one of my existing holsters but I wasn't sure about how to fit it and if it would actually be secure.

Quote Originally Posted by boricua View Post
    Well, my first concern would have been your friend, and not how you would get a grip on your gun from the night stand. Does your friend know that you are armed? I'm asking the question, because if I were him, there is no way that I would just walk in your house unannounced and risking getting shot. This is the kind of tragedy that might end up all over the evening news and printed on the paper the next morning. Not to mention the field day that the Gun Grabbers will have with it.

Now, to address your question. How about placing the gun on the floor, where you can just reach it in a more natural way? Or, maybe get one of those holsters that attaches to the side of the mattress (as long as your sheet/blanket doesn't end up covering it while you sleep).
    Friend knows I'm armed - but he's polite to a fault. He was trying not to wake us.

I'm able to see my front door and a good chunk of my living room from the top of my stairs, in a position that would be hard for anyone to see me unless they were in the doorway.

Quote Originally Posted by TX expat View Post

Hadn't thought of it like that! Though, now I'm........curious.....

Ok, now to address your question. Never put a gun under your pillow. Never.

There are a few holster choices that will strap a gun to the side of your mattress and I guess that might be an option to explore, although to some degree grabbing any weapon from a prone position, especially when sleep is involved, is always going to be somewhat awkward.

Mine stays locked up on the floor next to me, so I'm not going to be able to access it lightning fast, but given the fact that I would hope to be woken up before anyone gets to my bedroom door, I don't expect that few seconds it takes to make much of a serious difference.
    Yeah, didn't want the pillow suggested. Flat out would never do that.

First things first... have a talk with your key-holding friend and insist that he notify you if he's coming to visit and that his intent is acknowledged by you before he turns the key and enters your home.

Our entry ways have keypad doorlocks which can be programmed with multiple user codes. We have our personal codes and a couple of "spares" that we can share via phone/text if we need to allow access for a neighbor or one of the (grown and moved) kids while we're away. Once a spare code has been used it gets removed and a new spare is created for the next time one's needed. This permit access to trusted people, but enforces the notify/acknowledge rule.

As for gun location, it sounds like your options are limited... perhaps some practice (with the gun unloaded of course) to minimize the awkwardness of the wrong-side maneuver?
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    The Second Amendment *IS* Homeland Security
    --------------------- Μολὼν λαβέ ----------------------

I do not have any children in my house however I keep mine on the nightstand next to the bed with the barrel facing the window. It is kinda awkward for me because I have to grasp it right handed and I am left handed but I can operate it right handed if I have to.
    "As a strong supporter of our 2nd Amendment rights, I believe tougher enforcement of our nation's existing gun laws must be done before any more laws are enacted and put on the books."
    Jeff Miller

VIP Member
    I've changed what I do over the last year or so. Presently, it is on the floor next to me, in a holster, pointed away from the bed.
    No kids in the house and no one has a key, and even if they had a key they still couldn't get in while we sleep because
    of brace- bars on some doors, and alerts on others.
    If the Union is once severed, the line of separation will grow wider and wider, and the controversies which are now debated and settled in the halls of legislation will then be tried in fields of battle and determined by the sword.
    Andrew Jackson

Every night before I go to bed I floss, brush my teeth and arrange my SIG so I can get to it fast.

Same postion every time so I know exactly where it is and its' orientation.
    "Life is tough but it's really tough if you are stupid"

My shotgun sits perfectly between the bed frame and the mattress and is covered by the bed skirt.
    Laruuk likes this.

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    I'm not telling because then you'll know where they are.
    Jetfuelrm, DPro.40 and Snub44 like this.
    Retired USAF E-8. Avatar is OldVet from days long gone. Oh, to be young again.
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Links