Bad Neighbors

Bad Neighbors

This is a discussion on Bad Neighbors within the Home (And Away From Home) Defense Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; My wife and I have just gone through our second "false alarm" scenario in 3 months, the first time caught me by surprise a bit ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree4Likes

Thread: Bad Neighbors

Bad Neighbors

My wife and I have just gone through our second "false alarm" scenario in 3 months, the first time caught me by surprise a bit I will admit, however the one today I was prepared for and come to the conclusion it is my neighbor immediately to my west. For what its worth I will advise steps taken in the time following first "false alarm". First of all neither event happened while we were home. After first I added 4 unique locks to my fence gate leading to my backyard, pointed a camera at the door in question (no cameras were present prior to initial event) I added a manual locking system to my garage door, added vibration sensors to existing alarm system, added metal security doors to both rear entry points and put film on the windows in the front door (I hit them pretty good trying to get my big freaking Christmas tree.out and they held up). For what its worth I have 3 dogs that have never been around anyone but my wife and I, I know they are good watchdogs but guarddogs they are not. I'm fairly certain my invader is a panty sniffer.oh in addition I began carpooling to work in an attemtpt to use the presence of my truck a deterrent, all this seemed to have worked until today (my day to drive to work) when my alarm sounded police had good response time but found nothing out of place and my wife cleared the house with not so much as a speck of dust moved, the door in question does not get used ever but had no evidence of attempted entry, have a technician coming Saturday to eliminate possibility of sensor failure, anyone have any suggestions? Sorry if this post is confusing I'm on my phone
    Last edited by HemiCoupl; January 8th, 2013 at 05:49 PM. Reason: phone fail

VIP Member
    Hiding inside a bottle of Jim Beam Black.
    Two false alarms and no evidence of attempted entry? Yeah, have a tech check it out. I don't know about Memphis, but on the third false alarm here you get charged $75.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

The first "false alarm" the door was magically open but nnothing in the way of.forced entry the second was a different door, I can't believe I.left that out in first post

Have any idea who it might be just curious. I live on a street that is shaped like a horse shoe its pretty easy to pick something out here that doesn't belong but I realize not all places are like this.
    MACC12 likes this.
    "As a strong supporter of our 2nd Amendment rights, I believe tougher enforcement of our nation's existing gun laws must be done before any more laws are enacted and put on the books."
    Jeff Miller

VIP Member
    WIse guy with the know how to pick locks.
    Does he work as a locksmith or have you any knowlege of what he did in the past?
    Maybe he was an apprentice, and has run amok.
    Is the door that was breached in the back yard, and if so, where were your dogs?
    Maybe the guy is hand feeding them steak
    I would rather die with good men than hide with cowards
    If you want to make God laugh, tell him your plans.
    Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it whether it exists or not, diagnosing it incorrectly, and applying the wrong remedy."

It is my neighbor to my immediate west I have no video evidence but have reasonable suspicion, he worked for a phone company and is now retired, my other neighbor is a stand up gentleman and works from home a lot he never sees anything, dogs free roam house, he tried to befriend the dogs when I first moved in but they still bark at him when he's in his yard even if I am in my yard with them but like I said they probably would bark but back down if challenged

Have a few people over...all leave except for one, he drives your truck away.
    Now...take that day as a vacation day and see what happens...and get those camera(s) working properly.

Nothing worse that a dirtbag for a neighbor to ruin living in your own home.
    Jetfuelrm and 1911srule like this.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Cheap camera system caught nothing, an upgrade may be a priority, statistics just don't support two times this close together

Quote Originally Posted by retsupt99 View Post
    Have a few people over...all leave except for one, he drives your truck away.
    Now...take that day as a vacation day and see what happens...and get those camera(s) working properly.

Nothing worse that a dirtbag for a neighbor to ruin living in your own home.
    I like this idea very much!
    "As a strong supporter of our 2nd Amendment rights, I believe tougher enforcement of our nation's existing gun laws must be done before any more laws are enacted and put on the books."
    Jeff Miller

You could leave an easy entry path and have a hard wired concealed camera covering that. Maybe some bait like a tool box, gas can ect. Don't go wireless unless you want to bug yourself. Make sure your property is posted so a criminal trespass charge will stick. Unless it would be out of the ordinary in that neighborhood. ??Pay the $ and get a background check on the person you suspect. I can't believe I'm saying this but...be nice to the guy don't provoke harassment its not worth it. But never let them in your home. Swallow your pride until you got what you need. Study up on some psychology and learn how this person thinks. Document everything, for future need in court. Don't call police till you got the POS on camera or they could write you off as a nutjob. That old thing about calling police and getting a report for each event does not work in reality imho. Review your own actions, are they rational given the situation? Don't do anything illegal, again its not worth it...
    RIP Jeff Cooper

I appreciate everyone's advice and I have no intent to do anything.crazy just trying to make.my wife feel safe in her own home

Get one of those dogs like on Ferris Buehler!!! When the principle tries to get in the house and the dog gets his shoe. That scene just kills me! LOL I hope you get this figured out. Pervs are everywhere!

I'm hoping this is simply paranoia on my part and the tech finds something wrong.with the system, however I want to beef up security where possible without lining the place in tin foil and dungeon-ing it out, so much for a good neighborhood

Once saw an alarm go off several times without cause...found out neighboring store fumigated, thus running some critter bugs
    out and one little bug was running across the sensor eye of the motion detector...check for that...or things that hang from
    ceiling or maybe the drapes getting blown around by a heating/ac unit airflow. If have a pet, have to adjust for height over
    them.

I hate those false alarms. Sometimes when the power spikes, my house alarm goes off. It has battery backup, but a quick spike of power (power goes out, then comes back on immediately) it goes off. I guess I need to get it checked.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links