I called Second Chance regarding a vest suitable for a full time teacher - not good! - Page 2

I called Second Chance regarding a vest suitable for a full time teacher - not good!

This is a discussion on I called Second Chance regarding a vest suitable for a full time teacher - not good! within the Home (And Away From Home) Defense Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; In a school shooting scenario, unless you were the first classroom hit, you would likely have time to put your vest on, assuming you had ...

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree25Likes

Thread: I called Second Chance regarding a vest suitable for a full time teacher - not good!

Distinguished Member Array Hoganbeg's Avatar
    In a school shooting scenario, unless you were the first classroom hit, you would likely have time to put your vest on, assuming you had it pre-adjusted and readily to hand, and didn't dilly-dally.

As far as barricading the doors, I would consider using tables stood on end and backed up by desks, not as a barricade so much as a way to funnel the shooter into a position where we could conduct a hasty ambush.

Just some thoughts.

The same mentality that associated suppressors with criminal activities in the 1930s is alive and well and working to make soft body armor unavailable for you today. So far, not at the Fed level. but you need to check your state's laws.

In a course I took with Ayoob, someone asked him about working as a bodyguard. He said "my mother didn't raise me to be a pincushion for other people" - which I think addresses your school's approach to an active shooter. Dumb, dumb, dumb.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

I called Second Chance regarding a vest suitable for a full time teacher - not good!

In a course I took with Ayoob, someone asked him about working as a bodyguard. He said "my mother didn't raise me to be a pincushion for other people" - which I think addresses your school's approach to an active shooter. Dumb, dumb, dumb.
    ^^^yup and 100% agree with this statement.
    Rob
    -----------
    Play in the heavens baby girl. For we will again one day see you.
    Gracie Rae P Nov 16,2004 - Sept 2,2012
    Forever daddy's girl!
    -----------

Tangle, What are you prepared to do about it?

Okay, you've spoken to the school officials and you see where that has gotten you.

So, what are you going to do? Are you going to line up and lead your students to slaughter like the good little soldier your school expects you to be? Or, are you going to take action to at least defend your class, your students, at least while they are attending your classes?

I'm not a school teacher who teaches full time in a class room. But I am an adult educator who teaches EMT's and Paramedic programs where I work.

If I taught in a school everyday, day in and day out, I would at least take charge of my classroom.

I would develop my own plan of action, and teach each of the students who take any of my classes how I expect them to respond while they are inside my classroom. If a madman ever comes calling at my school, I would at least be responsible for what happens inside my class.

I would start by looking closely at Mr. Alon Stivi's website and maybe enrolling in his certified training program which can be done online. Or, he can bring the training to you if your school is interested in participating. His website is called
    Attack Countermeasures Training (ACT).

Ideally, you'll be able to convince your school officials to buy into this type of program. However, you may have to complete this on your own first, and then introduce it to the proper school officials.

What is the alternative? Do nothing and allow yourself and all your students to be slaughtered like sheep?

You know what your school officials do not. So again, I ask... What are you prepared to do about it?

Below are two very short videos highlighting what Alon Stivi's program can do for you, your students and your school. I wish you luck. As I said before, if I were teaching at a school everyday, I would take it upon myself to have an plan of action and train my students on how to respond while they are inside my classroom.

ACT Cert Course for Schools (K1-University) by Alon Stivi

Last Resort ACTIVE SHOOTER SURVIVAL Measures by Alon Stivi
    Jeanlouise likes this.
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

Distinguished Member Array chuckusaret's Avatar
    I have a cheap Advanced Kevlar Bullet Proof Vest that I purchased at auction NIB for $180. Thought it was a good idea at the time. Most uncomfortable thing I have ever worn, worse than the old military flack jackets and just as hot. I'll take my chances going without.
    US Army 1953-1977

‘‘We, the People are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts — not to overthrow the Constitution, but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution.’’
    — Abraham Lincoln

If you want soft body armor (level IIIA) that is going to be comfortable enough to wear 10 hours a day, 5 days a week, and not look like your wearing body armor, expect to pay upwards of $800 - $1,000.
    Hopyard likes this.
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

Senior Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Bark'n View Post
    If you want soft body armor (level IIIA) that is going to be comfortable enough to wear 10 hours a day, 5 days a week, and not look like your wearing body armor, expect to pay upwards of $800 - $1,000.
    We pay that for one gun to protect ourselves, why not a vest to protect ourselves for about the same price. But, IIRC, comfortable IIIA level vests can be bought that are comfortable and are much less than $800 - $1000.
    I'm too young to be this old!
    Getting old isn't good for you!

Senior Moderator
    Bark'n,

All the things shown in the video, rely on advanced notice. If you're the first classroom hit, you don't have advance notice. I can even keep my classroom door locked, but a shooter can force a student to knock on the door and when it's opened, he's in.

Nobody is suggesting we do nothing, quite the contrary. But if these methods are so effective, we could use them in the home and never need to use our guns in the home for protection.

Granted, there are things we can do, whether they would change the ultimate outcome is questionable - it all depends on how much time we have and where we are when it happens. The videos make it look like every classroom has these nice tables to use for barricades and concealment, most of my classrooms don't have that - most have bolted down tables and perhaps one teacher's table and some don't have that. Many other classrooms only have desks.

VIP Member Array paramedic70002's Avatar
    Ask your local PD if they have expired vests. Old is better than nothing.
    "Each worker carried his sword strapped to his side." Nehemiah 4:18

Guns Save Lives. Paramedics Save Lives. But...
    Paramedics With Guns Scare People!

VIP Member Array paramedic70002's Avatar
    Another thought about locking the door. Ever heard of a penny lock? You close the door, push out the bottom, and insert a penny. Nearly impossible to open because it binds the bolt. I wonder if there is a commercial device that will work the same.
    "Each worker carried his sword strapped to his side." Nehemiah 4:18

Guns Save Lives. Paramedics Save Lives. But...
    Paramedics With Guns Scare People!

The information you were given is incorrect. That said, the use/wear of body armor is illegal in SOME jurisdictions, and in those the illegal use is usually limited to felons. Check your local laws.

There are many other body armor manufacturers, and many types of body armor. You might check PACA, Safariland, Point Blank, among others. Just make sure the vest you buy has a label indicating it is NIJ certified and to what threat level. Always make sure the vest is of current manufacture, and do not purchase a used vest, as most have a 5 year shelf life. They do not last forever and MUST be cared for appropriately (ie cleaned appropriately, not stored in a hot car, always stored flat, etc.) to function as designed.
    "Better to be judged by 12 than carried by 6"

Flight Surgeon, USAF
    Law Enforcement Tactical Surgeon

NRA Patron Member

For the record, in Oklahoma wearing a bullet-resistant vest or any sort of bullet-resistant body armor is only illegal if used in the commission of a crime, in which case the penalties for said crime are enhanced.
    My blog

WARNING: This post may contain material offensive to those who lack wit, humor, common sense and/or supporting factual or anecdotal evidence. All statements and assertions contained herein may be subject to literary devices not limited to: irony, metaphor, allusion and dripping sarcasm.

Sounds like your school admins are still waiting for the "pop".

A thought on the penny lock - maybe keep a wedge and hammer in your desk.

Senior Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by nedrgr21 View Post
    Sounds like your school admins are still waiting for the "pop".

A thought on the penny lock - maybe keep a wedge and hammer in your desk.
    I'm afraid so. Unfortunately a wedge won't help if I've got the right picture here; the doors in classrooms all open outward, i.e. into the hall. There's no place to put a wedge, or am I not seeing something.

OTOH, your concept is right on. There are probably any number of things we could do that would be beneficial, we just have to identify them and have them in place. E.g. a couple of manual dead bolts on the door that lock into the steel door frames.

Dead bolts would be better. Guess it depends on how the doors are set up - are they double doors or single with the bolt going into a fixed frame? - the wedge goes btwn the knob and floor and btwn the frame and door. Also, if there are doorknobs vs a bar that goes across the whole door, firefighters/police have a jig that they can lock doors that open inward from a hallway once the room is cleared. The jig goes around the knob and secures against the lip of the door frame.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Links